Dream Survey

SCoates

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:45 pm
I think I am a pretty abnormal dreamer, and I was hoping to collect information from anyone who happens by to get a better idea about the average dreamer.

For example, I dream in color, and I can read in dreams--I just can't REread things, since the information changes. But I often hear that one cannot read in dreams, and that mean dream in black and white.

So, here is my profile:

I dream in color. I can read in dreams. I am often conscious that I can control whatever I want, but I seldom realize that is because I am dreaming. I can choose to wake up. I can feel pain in dreams. I often have complex plots, and believable characters. I usually dream the instant I fall to sleep, so that I can have an elaborate dream during a five-minute nap (apparently this is a disorder, but still interesting).

So, if you're interested, go ahead and share your dream profile, whether you're comparing, contrasting, or otherwise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
I'm the same. So - it sounds normal to me..
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:52 pm
@SCoates,
I have written poems and music in my dreams (I've woken up with a poem or a melody in my head that I then have written down and/or transcribed, but I don't remember reading in dreams).

I have never felt pain in my dreams, but it does seem that my emotions are heightened in my dreams. For instance, about a week ago I had a dream in which I reentered the basement of a house I'd once lived in and it had flooded and clothes my children had worn and toys they'd played with as babies were floating around the basement and I woke up feeling unutterably sad, not crying but just sadder than I would have when awake.
And then a couple of days ago I had a dream that I was babysitting and I was swinging with this little girl on a swing and I woke up incredibly happy - just from swinging on a swing. I don't know how to explain it - it's like when I'm awake I'm working through the event logically and my brain is handling it and keeping my emotions in check but when I'm dreaming it's all feeling and emotion - so it's intensified.
I've also felt physical pleasure Shocked (I don't want to get specific) in my dreams.
I also dream in color. Red is a very commonly recurring color (theme) in my dreams and always has been.
I almost always know the people in my dreams.
I seem to have my most vivid dreams just before I wake up and I can't control them - sometimes I've been enjoying a dream so much I try to reenter it after waking and I've never been able to.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:03 pm
@aidan,
zzzzzzzzzz. Oh, excuse me - kidding. For some reason my baby finger hit the z and I thought it was apropo.

I don't think I've felt pain in dreams unless my foot found a goatshead burr that had somehow landed on my bed. Sort of like how a telephone ring can be something else in a dream.

I can get very into technical problem solving in dreams. I remember once figuring out some landscape irrigation design that I had been intensely working on during daylight (hah, daylite), while dreaming, somehow fitting in an immediate daytime problem into some dream mishmash. But usually the technical type solving has to do with situations/technology of years earlier, and the same with the people that populate the dreams - generally not my most recent friends or acquaintances.

Adds, since I've had a few career interests, they often collide in dreams in odd ways.. I that is when I "apprehend" that I can direct them, perhaps incorrectly.

I can sometimes access and go back into what I was dreaming about - depends on where in the dream cycle I wake up and how much more 'rem' I can keep going.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:05 pm
@aidan,
Interesting. I meet a lot of people in dreams that I don't know in real life, but in the dream they seem familiar.
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
I feel pain all the time in my dreams. I have really crazy ones too. I usually end up dieing along with a friend of mine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 08:55 pm
@SCoates,
Youre talking about lucid dreaming. I could do this and still do sometimes when Im working onlonger research problems. Id do the mnemonic induced kind where you first have to work on deram recall and then Id find that I could actually screw with equations that were written Upside down and Id remember them better because they were upside down. AS far as colors Ive recently had several weeks of dreams with very wild colors and patterns. Seems that Ive been painting watercolors more lately and Ive been (as Ive been told by artist friends who expwerience this) sorting out design problems with shapes and colors and the most convenient time is when Im at rest.

Ive often woken up, broken a drewam and then forced myself to go back to the same dream and "pick up" where I left off.

My last series of equation dreams has been at least 2 years ago when I was working on a goct project. My last color and pattern dream was last wednesday when I went to the PA Farm show and ran into this big lady who was dressed as an Emerald Ash Borer. She made a dent in my mind and I worked on it using the same color green as her costume in some new color patterns. Ive since written them up as ideas in my "painting subject journal". It was a sap green, black, and rose-maroonish color scheme.
0 Replies