What's with this delivery charge nonsense?

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:02 pm
The other night I ordered about $35 of food from a nearby restauarant (under 1 mile) and when they tallied my order, they advised me there was also an $8 delivery charge. Is this in lieu of a tip or in addition to?

Anyone else familiar with this?

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:04 pm
@Mame,
No, but you sure got ripped!

In the past, when I ordered, I always picked up the food from the restaurant myself.

The place you ordered from obviously were NOT upfront with the fact that they had a policy of charging for all deliveries!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
@Mame,
i don't think i'd tip if there was a delivery charge, but i'd hope that the driver got some if not all of that money
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@Mame,
A lot of places charge a set delivery price. It is in addition to tip since the charge goes to the restaurant to pay overhead, including the salary of the driver.
Mame

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@parados,
I would expect those things to be in the food charge, except for the tip.

And I cancelled my order. I'm not paying $8 for the privilege of ordering food when I have to pay for it and the tip. That's even excessive for a tip on $35.
parados

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:14 pm
@parados,
Quote:
All prices subject to change at any time. There will be an additional charge for delivery orders. Please confirm prices when placing your order with your preferred Jimmy John's store.

The above is from the Jimmy John's site
https://online7.jimmyjohns.com/jimmy/web/?&oos=1&landed=yes

I think I have seen $5 listed as the delivery charge in the store I occasionally visit.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:18 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I would expect those things to be in the food charge, except for the tip.
Then they would have to list their delivery food at a different price and you would complain about that. $8 whether you buy $5 or $100 worth of food is better than 20% added to the cost of all food. The people that buy $100 in food feel they are getting a better delivery deal and the restaurant sells more food so good for them too.

Quote:

And I cancelled my order. I'm not paying $8 for the privilege of ordering food when I have to pay for it and the tip. That's even excessive for a tip on $35.
If getting in your car and driving to the restaurant is worth $8 then go for it. You are paying for the convenience of not having to do that. You certainly don't have to pay it but you won't get food delivered.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:49 pm
@parados,

" silverwok " has free delivery or 10 % off on CASH PAID orders over $ 30 that are picked up - and a free chinese/canadian calendar right now - i guess that's bilingual .
( i go for the 10 % off )
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
@Mame,
wow mame, you're on a real tear today, ain't ya?

delivery charges, rudundancies, what next?

I'll tell you what's nonsense, not having flip tops on tuna cans.

They don't have flip tops on cans of tuna cat food either.
All the other kinds of cat food has flip tops, but not tuna.

Why are they making it so hard for people and cats to eat tuna?

I'll bet if a dog wanted tuna, they'd put a flip top on it by God.

I'm disgusted.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:01 pm
@chai2,
Oh, another thing....soup cans in this country have flip top cans.

You want a bowl of Progresso wedding soup?
You don't have a can opener?

No problem.

I got this brand of soup at the store that looked interesting, and a week later when I went to eat it...no flip top.
I said to myself "what kind of bullshit is this? this is worse than the tuna can debacle."

I look more closely at the can, and saw that it was MADE IN CANADA!

I thought "no wonder. well, at least there was no delivery charge"
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:02 pm
@Mame,
I'm just curious. Do other restaurants in your area charge a delivery fee?
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
goddammit tsar, don't change the subject!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:09 pm
@Mame,
Most places around here offer take-out or delivery.

There is a delivery charge on top of the price of the food (and tax), and the tip to the driver is separate. If you order enough food, you can often get a discount on delivery or free delivery. If you do take-out, there is obviously no delivery charge.

But yeah, there have been delivery charges on mmmmmm delivered food in Ontario for at least 33 years (when I first had to pay a delivery charge on my own) .

and @ hamburger - Silver Wok makes delicious food!
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:12 pm
@chai2,
Oh, really? I have conniption fits when I see green beans with flip tops. I hate the damn things, and you can't use a can opener if you choose. Okay, Vienna Sausage makes a modicum of sense. You might (shudder) take them on a picnic and forget the opener. Anybody ever take a can of green beans on a picnic? Besides Chai, I mean.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:17 pm
@chai2,
What the hell is wedding soup..

(will check this out)
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:22 pm
vienna sausage

jesus wept.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:25 pm
@chai2,
Alright. I should have used bean dip as an acceptable place for flip top groceries. Just leave my green beans alone. I know how to use a can opener.

Anyway, my cats' food comes in bags.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Interesting zero on me. Someone doesn't like me saying "what the hell is", apparently... or just general unpleasantness.

What, Progresso is doing Wedding Soup?

Ok, back on this.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, first thing off of cooks.com is

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1818,156169-232206,00.html - a nice chicken soup.

Don't know about this re culinary history. Back tomorrow. I do figure there are wedding soups, not that Progresso is providing them to us (has Progresso ever been to Italy?) but live and learn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
In case you didn't check the link, a meatball mixed meat plus chicken soup.
0 Replies