What's with this delivery charge nonsense?

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:25 am
@Mame,
Its a winos wine:

"MD 20/20 a.k.a. Mad Dog is an American fortified "wine." MD 20/20 has an alcohol content that varies by flavor from 13% to 18% (with most of the 18% varieties discontinued, although Red Grape is reportedly available in 18% ABV). The MD stands for the Mogen David wine company which produces MD 20/20 as the 20/20 wine company!"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:27 am
@Setanta,
Hubby used to be a resaurant manager and he never thought that - although he said that Canadians and African Americans were the worst tippers.

I typically give more than the "forced tip" as well. Unless the service is horrible.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:30 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
I don't mind them setting their menu prices, of course, but you're not going to tell me what to tip. Some servers become sloppy or inattentive when there's a built-in tip.

In my neck of the woods the automatic tip is usually reserved for parties of eight or more. Problem is, before some of us caught on, we were tipping again, when the tip was already included. Well, ya live and learn.

Also, I noticed that the automatic tip was usually lower than what I normally give, so in some sense, with me, the server got screwed.

I know about the rule about 8 people or more and I fail to understand it. If you're giving good, prompt, friendly service, you should be able to earn a tip no matter how many are at the table.

A group of us - probably 16 - went for a christmas meal and we were sat at two tables. They added an 18% gratuity to the bill.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

wow mame, you're on a real tear today, ain't ya?

delivery charges, rudundancies, what next?

I'll tell you what's nonsense, not having flip tops on tuna cans.

They don't have flip tops on cans of tuna cat food either.
All the other kinds of cat food has flip tops, but not tuna.

Why are they making it so hard for people and cats to eat tuna?

I'll bet if a dog wanted tuna, they'd put a flip top on it by God.

I'm disgusted.

Tuna doesn't have a flip-top, because unlike most other forms of canned food, it is cooked in the can quite a bit. Pressure builds up with the high heat, a flip-top wouldn't necessarily hold.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You must be exceptional, Phoenix. It is considered axiomatic in the restaurant business that women diners are like good canoes--they don't tip.

If I have had good service, I usually double the gross price (with the tax included). If the amount falls in the middle of a dollar, I up it to the next whole dollar. Lousy service gets a straight 15% of the net cost.

What the hell! Most of the people who work in the food service industry are just about scraping by. It has been pointed out to me that in my retirement community, some of the" big spenders" will leave a buck apiece for a big meal.
Reyn

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

They don't have flip tops on cans of tuna cat food either.
All the other kinds of cat food has flip tops, but not tuna.

Huh? Iams have them!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:41 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm not surprised about the cheapskate tippers. People also get snotty attitudes about how fast the food arrived, was it hot, is it exactly what they wanted--all things over which the server has no control. And yes, people in the food service industry who serve at table get sh*t for wages. They are part of an exempted category in minimum wage legislation. It may have changed since then, but as recently as ten years ago, they got $2.25 an hour. I see so many women, women who i know have children, who are busting a gut to serve people who give them grief and cheap shot them, and they have to suck it up, because they have to bring home the bacon. If they don't get decent tips, they're pretty well screwed because taxes are withheld from their laughable hourly wage checks, and the government assumes a percentage being paid in tips whether they report their tips or not. It really sucks to be a waitress or waiter in 'Merica.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
@Setanta,
When I go with just my kids - seeing the kids are usually ordering kids meals that are lower prices - I always give more than my usual 20% tip. I realize that children often times require more work for the waitstaff, but yet the meal is less so they get screwed. I'm not sure where you are getting the "women" thing as my husband had worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years and never had an issue with "women" as a group before.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
Oh, get over it, Link. My last post made no mention of the tipping habits of women.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
I have to tell you I did a search and man what did I come up with as being classified as bad tippers:

Canadians
African Americans
Scandinavians
Brits
Church crowd
Women
Middle aged guys - and this guy said the same aged women were good tippers?
Fat nurses
Real Estate Agents
Almost anyone visiting in a tourist destination
Brazilians
Small european countries
germans
asians
less sophisticated southerns
working class uneducated people
trust fund babies
Slumdog millionaires (indians)
old ladies

The odd thing is one waitperson would say jewish were good tippers and another said they were not, or other groups.

Other most said gay and drag queens were great tippers - I didn't see any that said that group was bad.
Just read through some of these they are quite funny
http://waiterrant.net/?p=1597

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:13 pm
I blame the Australians.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
@Setanta,
well I didn't put it on the list because I was getting tired of adding all these groups and I figured I'd have to have at least one group that didn't hate me at this point - but yeah Austrailians made the list as well - although I did not hear of any greenlanders.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:26 pm
That shot about the Greenlanders was pretty slick, Boss . . . i salute you . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You must be exceptional, Phoenix. It is considered axiomatic in the restaurant business that women diners are like good canoes--they don't tip.

you didn't mention women and their tipping habits?

~~~

I always find it odd to see Canajuns mentioned on the list of bad tippers. Going back 30 years, 15% was the standard tip and now most people here tip in excess of 20% (on the pre-tax amount). Last week, I tipped 30% on the pre-tax value of the meal since we were using a coupon for the meal.

Murricans tip 25%+ as a standard?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
]A group of us - probably 16 - went for a christmas meal and we were sat at two tables. They added an 18% gratuity to the bill.

hopefully you guys topped that up
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:36 pm
If i were to guess, i'd guess that most 'Mericans are cheapskates when it comes to tipping. I couldn't count the number of times other people have expressed surprise at the amount i was leaving for a tip . . .
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:38 pm
@ehBeth,
At our table they did, by $75. Don't know about the other one.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm
@Mame,
speaking on behalf of many former serving folk - hooray!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 03:47 pm
@Mame,
ehBeth wrote:

Mame wrote:
]A group of us - probably 16 - went for a christmas meal and we were sat at two tables. They added an 18% gratuity to the bill.

hopefully you guys topped that up

Mame wrote:

At our table they did, by $75. Don't know about the other one.

And i was amazed at the 18%. (I'm not saying thats wrong in the cultural context).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
Well, it was Christmas and it was a big bill (most of it was Ouzo at $80/bottle!). Our table's bill was $450, with the 18% included, so she got a good tip.
0 Replies