Family problem

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:55 am
My nephew asked my husband to pay his pawn ticket and told my husband if he were late, the pawn shop would just "add a penalty"for a month; my husband went to pay and the item had been sold--the pawn shop had changed it's policies and was selling items much more quickly than when my nephew first pawned the item. What should my husband do? He says my nephew would "never have gotten it out of hock anyway" so he doesn't feel he should replace the item; I feel that he should, since he took responsibility for it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,514 • Replies: 10
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:03 am
@vrichard,
Hello vrichard,
what obligation does your husband have to pay your nephews pawn ticket in the first place?
The pawn shop changed its policies, that's not your husband's fault, so why
should he take responsibility for something that wasn't his to begin with?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:12 pm
@vrichard,
Welcome to A2k! I'm with Jane. This is all your nephew's doing. Your husband is under no obligation to do anything for him, including getting his stuff out of hock.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
@vrichard,
vrichard wrote:
My nephew asked my husband to pay his pawn ticket and told my husband if he were late, the pawn shop would just "add a penalty"for a month; my husband went to pay and the item had been sold

I'm not sure of all of the byplay, here.

Did your nephew give your husband the money, or was your husband paying for it out of ya'll's money? You're husband talked with your nephew and made an agreement to get the item from the pawnbroker?

Did your husband go to pay the pawn ticket late? After the date the penalty would have been added?

Based on what you've said here, your nephew is definitely guilty of not providing accurate information. IMO, it's up to him to really understand the rules when he decides to pawn something.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 02:29 pm
I know from nothing about pawn shop policies. What they can do pawned merchandise, and when they can do it is usually state regulated.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:06 pm
How do you figure he" took responsiblity for it"?
0 Replies

vrichard

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@DrewDad,
Here's what it is; husband has paid this pawn monthly for about 4 months after nephew moved 250 miles away; he did NOT give any money for this. He talked directly to my husband who agreed to pay this. Husband went to pawn shop they said "we used to just add a penalty but we changed our policies and we only give you a few days (like 5) and then we sell the item". Why do I feel bad? My nephew has been struggling, finally starting to get his feet on the ground, and his biggest asset just evaporated. I really do know it's nephew's fault; AND yet--we have so much and he has so little by comparison, this is devastating for him. I really appreciate the input from everyone on my problem!
engineer

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@vrichard,
I think you can take two approaches. The one I recommend is to do nothing. Your nephew made some bad decisions and there are consequences to that. You should consider whether and how much to help your nephew as a completely separate decision, not at all related to the pawn shop situation. The second approach (that I do not recommend) is to take on some of the blame for the loss and make financial restitution. To me this encourages your nephew to blame others for his mistakes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:53 am
I agree with engineer, if you really want to help your nephew get back on his
feet, then have a bank account for him and deposit some money there for rainy days. These funds should be only given to him when he's in dire need of it -
a cushion so to speak. Hopefully, he'll learn to live within his means in the
future and keep the emergency funds in the bank.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:56 am
I don't think it's pertinent what financial state you're in - that's completely irrelevant to the fact that your husband volunteered to help nephew out by paying the pawn fees for four months and the fact that your nephew is struggling. He was doing him a favour. Your nephew's finances are his own problem, not yours.

I wouldn't be setting up a bank account for him or replacing the item.

It belonged to your nephew and he pawned it. That's just the way it goes and we learn from these things. By relying on his uncle, he abrogated his responsibility to the item.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:41 am
@vrichard,
Do you feel guilty for what you have?
0 Replies