tintin

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:23 pm
whats the rule to use ";" in English ?

is it the part before the semicolon and the part after the semicolon has to be independent statements ?

Also , I am not at what time one should to use ";"

any native English speaker or someone knows better English ...can you please explain this ?

Regards
tintin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,434 • Replies: 3
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:36 pm
@tintin,
tintin
I tend not to follow the rules when it comes to English grammar. I had to look your question up myself to find an answer. Hoping this helps....

"Semicolon

Use a semicolon to join 2 independent clauses when the second clause restates the first or when the two clauses are of equal emphasis.
Road construction in Dallas has hindered travel around town; streets have become covered with bulldozers, trucks, and cones.

Use a semicolon to join 2 independent clauses when the second clause begins with a conjunctive adverb (however, therefore, moreover, furthermore, thus, meanwhile, nonetheless, otherwise) or a transition (in fact, for example, that is, for instance, in addition, in other words, on the other hand, even so).
Terrorism in the United States has become a recent concern; in fact, the concern for America's safety has led to an awareness of global terrorism.

Use a semicolon to join elements of a series when individual items of the series already include commas.
Recent sites of the Olympic Games include Athens, Greece; Salt Lake City, Utah; Sydney, Australia; Nagano, Japan."

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/566/01/
JTT

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@TTH,
Quote:
I tend not to follow the rules when it comes to English grammar.

Guidelines for punctuation are not rules of grammar, TTH. You follow the rules of English grammar, you just don't follow the prescriptions.
TTH

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 03:55 pm
@JTT,
Oh, thank you JTT. I learned something new today!
......at least I follow some rules Smile
0 Replies