If you lose your testicles do you still have the desire to have sex?

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
blah
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 13,749 • Replies: 30
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:46 am
It might be best to ask someone who's lost their testicles if you want a real answer to that.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:31 am
desire = want to
ability = able to

what do you really want to know/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
I don't know why the original poster is asking the question, but here's why I'm interested in the answer:

I've recently read a couple of excellent novels that employ the mystery genre and are set in 19th century Istanbul.

The main character ( the "detective") is a eunuch, but was rendered so after he reached puberty.

As a eunuch employed by the Sultan and his court, he is permitted access to the royal Harem. However, in both novels he has sexual intercourse with female characters.

So not only does he have desire, he's able to make good on it.

The author is a scholarly expert on the Ottoman Empire and his attention to historic detail is one of the aspects that make his novels so enjoyable, but I have to wonder if he is reliable on biology or has spun a tale that suits his purposes but has no bearing on reality.
husker

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
interesting note in wikipedia
Quote:
usually one castrated early enough to have major hormonal consequences.

0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:47 pm
sometimes it only FEELS like you've lost them.

...then you divorce the #!&!^#! b*tch ...and they grow back! :-)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:48 pm
oops! did that come across as a little...err...hostile? ...sorry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:50 pm
@micahhasenburg,
What does blah mean? Are you trying to communicate?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I certainly understand that eunuchs had desire and could feel sexual pleasure.

But I am basing this on what I understand to be well-researched novels, not on scholarship.
dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
some notes because i'm interested.

See also: castrato and castrarti.

The most commonly castrated men are advanced prostate cancer patients. In the United States alone there are more than 200,000 new cases of prostate cancer diagnosed each year. It is estimated that over 80,000 of these men will be surgically or chemically castrated within six months of diagnosis.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:58 pm
@dlowan,
Ok...just found what seems to be a scholarly source:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=mjPYQtxY3sgC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=do+castrated+men+feel+sexual+desire&source=bl&ots=YoKaSDjMM1&sig=G9ZYhfhHP3OLo-GE-TxV201o-e4&hl=en&ei=W-FHS-TeHM6HkQXF4-jzAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CCcQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

It says that males castrated before puberty generally lost sexual desire....but some did not, and were favoured as sexual partners to some extent because there was no risk of pregnancy.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:03 pm
According to this web site
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/coping-with-cancer/coping-physically/sex-sexuality-and-cancer/sex-and-cancer-for-men

Having both testicles removed

Quote:
Your testicles produce your sex hormones. These give you the urge to have sex and get an erection. Having both testicles removed is sometimes used as a treatment for prostate cancer. If you have both testicles removed, you will not be able to have an erection and will have a low sex drive. Some people have no interest in sex at all after this.

Possibly some desire but no ability

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:08 pm
Don't they castrate some sexual predators? That would take the ability away, but the desire - really coming from the brain - would not go away.
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@sullyfish6,
Some have continued to rape.

Didn't look hard enough to find out if they used implements (not that uncommon in entire rapists anyway) or the penis.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@sullyfish6,
I don't think they actually castrate sexual predators in the U.S. but, if I remember correctly, some states permit (or permitted) so-called 'chemical castration' in which sexual desire is eliminated or curtailed by the use certain 'medications.'

I'm straining to remember this, but I seem to recall that it was offered on a voluntary basis to certain 'repentant' sexual abusers who supposedly 'wanted' to behave properly but felt 'irresistible' urges.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:25 pm
@micahhasenburg,
What's the deal with "blah" - you use that in 2 of three threads you've started.
Are you trying to get us all to yawn? No ability to flesh out a question?
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@jjorge,
The Czechs appear to have been physically castrating.

0 Replies

micahhasenburg

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@ossobuco,
In my question posts I use blah as the extra description of my question. As there is no need to further explain the question I simple put blah. Honestly, couldn't you be killing animals or masturbating instead of wasting not only my time but yours as well nitpicking at my description the question instead of actually intending to answer the question. If you are not going to get involved with this scientific inquisition then stop posting your moronic comments on my blog.
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 06:02 pm
@micahhasenburg,
Your BLOG?!

And...it is not clear to most people what your "blah" means...it's quite off-putting, and means your questions may be less likely to find an answer.

Oh...and you're welcome.

(That's on behalf of all of us who tried to answer your question, and is a response for your politeness in thanking us for our efforts.)
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 06:13 pm
@dlowan,
I'm wondering if that goofball thinks this thread is a blog entry?

Perhaps he needs to read a few dictionaries to enlighten him, non?
Quote:
blog 434 up, 154 down

noun: contraction for "web log", a type of online diary

verb: to post diary or journal entries to a web log
Did you read what Michelle blogged on livejournal.com?

Quote:
blog (blŏg)
n. A weblog.
intr.v. blogged, blog·ging, blogs
To write entries in, add material to, or maintain a weblog.

[(we)blog.]
blog·ger n.

micahhasenburg, a2k is an online community forum or board not a personal blog. People are free to comment on each other's posting as long as their civilized and as far as I've seen dlowan has been quite civilized in this vague and seemingly pointless thread.
0 Replies