Heating pad?

snood

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
If you're not familiar with our situation, we are making a semi-home for several strays out on our covered back patio. We feed them regularly, and Cheryl went out and bought a huge dog house for them to bunch together inside of in the cold. It doesn't usually get too cold in Louisiana, but we've been having sub-30s, and expect some sub-20s the next few days.

We've been leaving a heated blanket turned to its lowest setting (you can barely feel any heat coming out of it even if you hold it for several seconds) - leaving it underneath another couple of blankets in the doghouse. they seem to like it and gravitate to it, but I've heard people say this isn't a good idea. These are young cats and small - they don't generate much body heat against the freeze they're getting ready to face. And we absolutely cannot house them inside our apartment.

Is this idea okay, or what are your ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 9

Seed

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:44 pm
@snood,
What about a heat lamp? I understand you are worried about it catching fire? But there are several that are made for constant use.

As silly as it may sound (I only say this because we have several cats and I have found them doing this often) get a big teddy bear or something for them to curl into. I guess it is like a mother kind of thing.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm
@snood,
the blanket is prolly fine.

dink used to sleep on a heating pad when we were camping.

the lamp is a good idea. I know some farmers do this for their chicks...(the baby poultry kind)
Seed

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Or you can invest in pet sweaters... though I doubt that the cats would keep it on...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:58 pm
@snood,
Temps like that are not too cold for those young cats, especially when they have a chance to bunch together, with shelter from the wind, Snood.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:45 pm
There was a feral cat around our house last winter, and I couldn't bear to think of him in the freezing cold.

I did a little research on line, and did what others have done for feral cats.
I made him a heat reflecting compartment.

I took an old plastic bin with a lid (you could use a box, but I didn't have one handy), and cut a small hole in it so he could get in.

Let's see if I can remember everthing....

I lined it with some styrofoam packing material (I had some styrofoam packing sheets I broke/cut up). I put them on the floor, on the sides, and taped one on the underside of the lid.

Then, I lined syrofoam with one of those mylar sheets. I bought one at a sporting goods store for like 2 bucks. It's for emergencies if you're stuck outside in the cold. It comes folded up into a little square, and folds out pretty big. I tried it out by laying down on the floor and putting it over me for a couple of minutes. It really did hold in body heat.
Anyway, I lined the box, and again made sure I taped some to the inside of the lid.

Finally, I put in some hamster bedding, that straw/chipped wood stuff.

I popped the lid on and left it outside, with a bowl of food by the entrance to entice him in. I had made a slit in the mylar in from the the opening, to there would be a big gap, and I faced opening away from the wind and open air.

The thing was ugly as sin, what with the slap dash duck tape, and crudely cut hole, but who cares, it was warm(er) in there than outside.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:46 pm
@chai2,
Sounds like a great idea. No scary electrical bits!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
@chai2,
"Finally, I put in some hamster bedding, that straw/chipped wood stuff."

and if you used live hamsters, it would be even warmer, like a fur lined bed.
(do cats eats hamsters?)
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

(do cats eats hamsters?)

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 03:08 pm
@chai2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plWnm7UpsXk&feature=related

(in japanese)
0 Replies