No New Year Resolution, but a new philosophy for 2010

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
After taking the last week of the year off and not doing much except a little skiing and some family time…I had the opportunity to relax and think. And I decided I’m sick of a lot of this meaningless crap. I have a new lease on life.

First off and most importantly " I decided I no longer have a career, but a job. No more worries about moving up and what the heck my rating is compared to so and so. With budget cuts and overall changes " there is little or no opportunities any way. I’m sick and tired of working late and worrying about making the least little mistake and outdoing my peers. And what does it get me " a couple thousands higher a year than some one else " certainly not worth it.

Now my mind is on my family and spiritual life. I have a huge burden off my shoulders.

Now can I keep it this way? What do you think my changes are?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I have a new lease on life.

First question... what did the bank give you for a new APR refinancing rate?

Quote:

Now my mind is on my family and spiritual life. I have a huge burden off my shoulders.

Joking aside... it's a very honorable and noteworthy premise to have in life. Shoot to keep this raison d'etre! http://i50.tinypic.com/35d8ars.jpg <-- Yep that's you!

Quote:

Now can I keep it this way?

Keep this thread active with your progress and possible slip ups. We at a2k will give you praise, encouragement, and the necessary Click and Clack quality dope slap should you fall off your promised wagon!
http://i48.tinypic.com/idu4xs.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/20rnxmq.jpg
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not too bad the rate is pretty low on my mortgage.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
Actually, your new mind set will make you a better employee and better parent and spouse.

Good luck and keep repeating your mantra . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
First off and most importantly " I decided I no longer have a career, but a job.

That is possibly the smartest and most significant decision you've ever made. That attitude can add years to a person's life and forestall any number of calamities, e.g. ulcers, nervouse breakdowns, anxiety attacks etc. etc.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I sure hope so. Before I took off, I had been so stressed that I had hives on my face. I had seen the doctor about this and she said it was most likely something I was allegetic to (my other thing is to h*ll with spelling) - any way it went away and then came back again - I saw my dermotoligist and he said the same thing and told me to use this one cream - and if it continued it would give me a test to see what was causing it.

It went away again. Then just before vacation it got really stressed at work again and I started with the hives again. I figured it has to be stress. It went away during my week vacation.
JPB

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:23 pm
@Linkat,
My last boss told me that my top three priorities were

1) My health
2) My family
3) My job

Only by making my health and my family my top 2 priorities could I be a good employee and focus on my work. I kinda liked his outlook.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@JPB,
My last boss (um, circa 1990, when I started a practice on my own) called me a few days ago, just to catch up. I think that connection lasted because of all the laughs we had for so many years, not just he and I but the whole crew of us.
When I was in California recently, one of the people I saw was a woman I had worked with, a peer.. and we had had a falling out, way back when, even amid that crew of laughers. We gave each other the old silent treatment for a while, back in the day. Anyway, that passed, we both matured and went out for lunch..
so, all this time later, we spent a good part of the day at the Getty Malibu yacking happily, including over lunch.

So, what do I recommend? Laughter and lunch. And a little art doesn't hurt.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@Linkat,

http://myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/you-can-do-it.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:04 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

My last boss told me that my top three priorities were

1) My health
2) My family
3) My job

Only by making my health and my family my top 2 priorities could I be a good employee and focus on my work. I kinda liked his outlook.

Protect and nurture that boss. Make sure he or she isn't tainted/infected by the corporate philosophy that company's profit comes first, the company's executive comes second, and then the employees and their welfare come somewhere in 2ooth place.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I sure hope so. Before I took off, I had been so stressed that I had hives on my face.
I had seen the doctor about this and she said it was most likely something I was allegetic to
(my other thing is to h*ll with spelling) -
Welcome to fonetic spelling!

David
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Meant to add at the end, yes, family and health, including spiritual health for those so inclined. Well being, really.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

http://myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/you-can-do-it.jpg

Yes, I concure
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
I had this same idea last year. I ended up ditching it the first time a job I was interested in was posted.

I'm not sure I can stop trying so hard when I'm at work. What I am trying to do though is make sure I only work my 8 hour day and that I build in time for me to go to the gym mid-day to release any stress.

My job gives me 6 weeks of paid time off though, so I make sure to use that too.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:20 pm
@maporsche,
6 weeks of paid time off - that's a great benefit.
maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

6 weeks of paid time off - that's a great benefit.

Great and no-so-great.

That one benefit has kept me from accepting other jobs that I would enjoy better, but offered less PTO (it seems 2-3 weeks is about standard). I've had to make some compromises in my career and my job-satisfaction to keep that benefit, but it's important enough to me to have made those concessions.

My time is more valuable than my paycheck right now.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

SO glad to hear that, Linkat!

Husband and I both worked full time when we met 16 years ago. We figured out we could both work part-time, with no children (our wish) as long as we lived together and cut costs.

This little plan of ours has worked beautifully for, oh, 8 years now. I don't care about nice homes/cars/computers, at all. We live Rural and Cheap with much joy.

NOT that there were no bumps along the way... there were plenty. But looking back (I'm 48 now) I have NO regrets.

I'm glad to hear you too are re-arranging your priorities. Best of luck and joy to you!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well I probably cannot even fonetically spell - I just never was any good at spelling and even worse at typos.

So there - go ahead and those anal types can keep making fun of my spelling and typos -

That is another item as part of this new lease on life - I don't give a rats a$$ what you think and I am taking more in stride
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
@maporsche,
I am not going to stop working hard and trying - kinda part of my nature, I like to do a good job. More that it will not get to me - and to realise is it important that I get this done now? Prioritze and crap like that. Less stress - so something is a little late as long as we make the filing deadline.

Realize if I get something wrong - really what is the impact?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I am not going to stop working hard and trying - kinda part of my nature, I like to do a good job. More that it will not get to me - and to realise is it important that I get this done now? Prioritze and crap like that. Less stress - so something is a little late as long as we make the filing deadline.

Realize if I get something wrong - really what is the impact?
That depends on what it IS.