putting things out of reach of small childern

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:49 pm
They've been doing it for a long time CDK. Nothing new. The U.N. has never been a fan of the private gun ownership laws in the U.S.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:55 pm
Ok littlek, I went back and removed the Margo jab.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:56 pm
Eva wrote:
For the most part, I agree with fishin too. Except I wouldn't agree to wear a loaded gun anywhere around kids unless you're police. They're trained to be especially cautious about people trying to take their firearms. A kid could easily take a gun out of your holster and fire it as a joke before most people could react properly.

Let me just add to my prior comment that anyone that owns a firearms should be properly trained on how to carry and handle it in any situation. If someone doesn't know what they are doing with one and ins't interested in learning then they had no business getting it to begin with. Just like anything else, if you are going to do something, take responsibility for yourself and learn how to do it properly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:57 pm
LOL! cjhsa - your analysis of the situation in Oz is hilarious. What HAVE you been reading? I keep coming across this nonsense - does the NRA put it out, or something?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:59 pm
The subject stuff is also hilarious - I mean, I am peed off by the queen - but a head of state is a head of state.

What operational difference do you think it makes, cjhsa?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:01 pm
cjhsa wrote:
They've been doing it for a long time CDK. Nothing new. The U.N. has never been a fan of the private gun ownership laws in the U.S.

I do not believe this is true, can you reference any action? No need to cite but if you know of any action whatsoever in which the UN has even taken a position on US gun ownership I'd like to look it up. I strongly believe it has not happened.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:02 pm
Thanks cjhsa
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:07 pm
Well, to be fair, Margo, you were pretty pouncy!

it is the avatar, you know.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I do not believe this is true, can you reference any action? No need to cite but if you know of any action whatsoever in which the UN has even taken a position on US gun ownership I'd like to look it up. I strongly believe it has not happened.

There is/was a UN proposal/resolution (1998 I believe) that was supposedly to limit the "international trafficking in small arms". That was played up as limiting smuggling military equipment to insurgent groups but the wording that some groups were trying to get included would have required all nations to prohibit private ownership of all firearms. People that owned firearms could keep them but wouldn't be able to obtain any others or transfer ownership. As a part of all of that there was a report released by the UN Security Council that was critical of private ownership of firearms in the US while praising China's policy of not allowing any private ownership.

Edited to add: The UN item in question was titled "UN INITIATIVE FOR GLOBAL DISARMAMENT". I have no idea whatever happened to it.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:26 pm
well concidering I've taught serveral SWAT classes I think I can be cautious enough to have a CC Smile As for where I live, I live, it's not so much the ppl around here but the ppl who visit.....I've lived in detroit and did the same there, the statistics u have eva are 1st of all because of ppl who do not know how to handle a firearm and 2nd of all ppl who keep them loaded. Remember ppls firearms are my life.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:33 pm
Thanks for the reference fishin. I knew it was out there somewhere.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:35 pm
Dlowan, it's an old saying. An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed one is a subject. I tend to agree.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:39 pm
Are you sure that is what you meant by that comment cjhsa?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:39 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Thanks for the reference fishin. I knew it was out there somewhere.

There have been lots of proposals and discussions in the UN, by that standard (no approval required, just discussion or a proposal) the UN can be falsely accused of a lot of things, including sanctioning US war in Iraq (which was a goal set forth by the US in the UN).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 06:18 pm
I'm am so completely in agreement with sozobe that it is downright scary. Could it be because we have kids about the same age living in our homes?

My husband was, at one time, a bit of a gun nut, a hunter, etc. The day our grandson moved in with us was the day that the guns were put away - way far away.

Our twin granddaughters were born last Tuesday. I have a feeling that the guns are completely and forever gone for good now.

Hurrah!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 06:58 pm
I went the route of safety features when my son was born ~ all cabinets were child-proofed, all outlets were blocked with child-plugs and everything breakable was placed out of reach.

When he was fourteen months old, we bought a conference table so we could seat family members for gatherings.

After buying the table, we propped it up (longways) in our hallway for a ten minute temporary position, before we moved it into the garage.

A#1 son found the table and decided to pull it towards him, where it landed on (thankfully) just his big toe.

He didn't start crying until we came back and found him seconds later.

We rushed him to the doctor, who decided that no bones had been broken, even though exposed. No stitches. Just a bandaid.

A#1 son still has a scar on his left big toe today. And I cringe every time I see it.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:30 pm
children with never respect a weapon if they are not around them, being safe and being cautious are the same thing with different routes for some ppl, I believe we all agree that there is a time and a place for guns and for everyone it is different. Some ppl who are undereducated on the subject believe all guns should be hidden from children and that just gives them the sense that all guns are bad. It's just my experiances talking....as far as firearms I've seen both sides of the coin, but I'm a lil off topic because firearms were not the original topic of the thread lol. just to clear up any misconception i do agree that any child should have proper supervision when handling a loaded firearm.
0 Replies