It more often helps to apply?

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:49 pm
What does "it" mean in " It more often helps to apply..."?

Context:

PEOPLE have radically diverse responses to the very idea of conspicuous consumption. Some folks consider it blindingly obvious that most economic behaviour is driven by status seeking, social signalling and sexual solicitation. These include most Marxists, marketers, working-class fundamentalists and divorced women. Other folks consider this an outrageously cynical view, and argue that most consumption is for individual pleasure ("utility") and family prosperity ("security"). Those folks include most capitalists, economists, upper-class fundamentalists, and soon-to-be-divorced men.

Such differences of opinion can rarely be resolved by trading examples or anecdotes, or arguing from first principles. It more often helps to apply some psychology. With this in mind, some colleagues and I devised a series of experiments inspired by "costly signalling theory" - the idea that animals, including humans, use costly, intricate and hard-to-fake signals to flaunt their biological fitness to potential mates and social partners. Our goal was to see how thinking about mating influences people's decisions about spending and giving (Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol 93, p 85).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 908 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:00 pm
It more often helps to apply some psychology.
It = the differences of opinion
Such differences of opinion can be more easily resolved by applying some psychology.
contrex

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:11 am
@dadpad,
Sorry, dapad, have to disagree

Quote:

'It' refers forward to the application of some psychology.

In winter, we may feel cold. It helps to wear warm clothes.

In winter, we may feel cold. Wearing warm clothes helps.

When
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:21 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

It = the differences of opinion
Such differences of opinion can be more easily resolved by applying some psychology.

contrex I must admit i put a degree of thought into this and wsnt sure i was right.
Equally I'm not sure you are correct either but i have no formal training in language.
oristarA wrote:

What does "it" mean in " It more often helps to apply..."?

Such differences of opinion can rarely be resolved by trading examples or anecdotes, or arguing from first principles. Psycology more often helps to resolve these differences

That seems to work.

Why is it so contrex?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:13 am
Used in this way, "it" refers forwards to something. That's all.

(problem situation) it helps to (... action that helps)

or

(problem situation) it does not help to (... action that does not help)

When your house is on fire, it helps to throw water on the flames.

When your house is on fire, it does not help to throw gasoline on the flames.

0 Replies