A period of sixty days is as much as

tintin

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:02 am
A period of sixty days is as much as even the most patient homebuyers are willing to wait for the current owners to turn over a piece of property.

what is the meaning of "turn over" here . I know "turn over" of a company but here it is used as "turn over a piece of property" ...what is it ?

and also wat does this means "as much as even" ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 967 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:26 am
You need to be aware of the difference between:

1. The single word "turnover".
2 The two word verb phrase "turn over".

One meaning of "turnover" is the money a company takes for its services before any expenditure is deducted.

The phrase "turn over" has a number of meanings. In US English, it can mean "give up" or "transfer ownership". Thus if you buy a house from me first you pay me (the current owner) the price agreed, and secondly I turn the house over to you. This involves legal processes such as the signing of papers, registration of the sale, etc.

The piece you quoted appears to discuss the fact that sometimes a buyer has to wait a long time to get ownership.

"A period of sixty days is as much as even the most patient homebuyers are willing to wait." means "Even the most patient homebuyers are prepared to wait no more than sixty days."

tintin

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 06:41 am
@contrex,
That was a beautiful explanation .

by the way does turnover and revenue of a company are same ? I find this confusing always . No need to go deep details ...just would like to know in simple words .

thanks

N.B I loved the previous forum look ....this look is bit awakward .
contrex

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:37 am
@tintin,
Money going out = outgoings = expenditure
Money coming in = incomings = revenue
Expenditure + revenue = turnover

In an accounting period, usually 1 year:
If revenue = expenditure, company "broke even"
If revenue > expenditure, company made a profit
If revenue < expenditure, company made a loss

If a company's expenditure in a year was $1,000,000 and its revenue was $1,200,000 then it made a profit of $200,000 on a turnover of $1,200,000.

0 Replies