Charges Dismissed Against Blackwater Iraq Shooters

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 06:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The killing, seen as an example of the impunity enjoyed by private security firms on the US payroll in Iraq, exacerbated Iraqi resentment toward Americans.

source

After this, it is little wonder that immunity became such as sticking point in trying to reach a new security agreement with Iraq.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:19 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
WASHINGTON -- An appeals court on Friday resurrected the case against four Blackwater Worldwide guards involved in a 2007 shooting in a Baghdad public square that killed 17 Iraqi citizens.

Jury Returns Guilty Verdicts for All 4 Former Blackwater Guards Charged in Iraq Shootings
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/jury-returns-guilty-verdicts-blackwater-guards-charged-iraq-26375555

Just a headline at the moment. No explanation of which charge(s) resulted in conviction.

No idea if that link will update from the headline, but I'll try to post a link to a more detailed article when I find one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:28 am
Quote:
A federal jury has returned guilty verdicts for all four former Blackwater security guards charged in the 2007 shootings of more than 30 Iraqis in Baghdad.

The jury in Washington found Nicholas Slatten guilty of first-degree murder.

The other three guards -- Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard -- were found guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

The four men were charged with a combined 33 counts in the shootings.

The jury had reached verdicts on only part of the charges, but Judge Royce Lamberth allowed them to announce the verdicts on Wednesday that they had reached.

The jury is expected to continue deliberating on the other counts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/jury-reaches-verdict-blackwater-guards-trial-26373170
McTag

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:58 pm
@oralloy,

Why did this take so long?
Shooting up the populace is never helpful to the diplomatic effort.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:59 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
The prosecutors should not find it difficult to fix another charge. There were plenty of witnesses to this event.

sounds like the military witnesses were the ones who really made the case this time round
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:05 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Shooting up the populace is never helpful to the diplomatic effort.

That sounds kind of judgmental, don't you think?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:06 pm
Oh FFS, they are called "Black Water", not "Clean Water". Their name tells us everything about their attitude. Might as well start calling themselves "Red Water" - now we have something here!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 03:25 am
@roger,

Quote:
That sounds kind of judgmental, don't you think?

Anything I've read about the behaviour of Blackwater employees in Iraq leads to a certain conclusion.
roger

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:36 pm
@McTag,
I was KIDDING.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:45 pm
<<Charges Dismissed Against Blackwater Iraq Shooters>>

It was obvious.

Those criminals should have been judged in Iraq, where the crimes were perpetuated, and by Iraqi authorities... not so here in the US.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:58 pm
Am I mistaken or did I see that 3 of them were convicted of manslaughter and one of murder?
revelette2

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 02:46 pm
@RABEL222,
Yes, Nicholas Slatten was charged with murder because he started the shooting, I think.

Quote:
The guards were convicted on nearly every one of the 32 charges they faced. Nicholas Slatten, a sniper who prosecutors said started the shooting, was convicted of murder. Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard were convicted on charges of voluntary manslaughter, attempting to commit voluntary manslaughter and weapons charges.

source
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 05:48 pm
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
Those criminals should have been judged in Iraq, where the crimes were perpetuated, and by Iraqi authorities... not so here in the US.

Bullshit you do not turn over US soldiers to be judge by a third world justice system that does not contain the save guards of the US system.
0 Replies