got a question, cant quite put my finger on the answer

skotup1

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:21 am
A person see's their friends' partner out at a club with another member of the opposite sex (most probably cheating). Why is it that when this person tells their friend that their partner is cheating on them, the friend gets pissed off at them?

Because at face value the 1st thought that would pop into every1's head is that "well ide like to know if MY partner was cheating on me". But its not like that, the friend always gets pissed off at their friend for telling them.... why?

I kinda get it, but cant quite put this phenomenon into words. Its something like shooting the messenger, wanting to disbelieve it, not liking ya friend hating ya partner....?

Ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 953 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:37 am
I think it is partly annoyance at a touchy subject being brought up without evidence, and also the thought that if it IS true, why couldn't the partner have just been honest? BTW, messengers have always been shot throughout history, sometimes for much less. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:38 am
There are lots of reasons.

The person may know already, and by telling him he is humiliated. Being a cuckold apparently is one of the most ego deflating things that can happen to a man.

The person may know, and is working things out with his s.o. He may be embarassed to know that other people are aware of his problem.

The person may NOT know, and perceives you as the person who humiliated him, by knowing something so private before he did.

He may be in denial, and is upset that the issue is being thrown in his face.

Quote:
Why is it that when this person tells their friend that their partner is cheating on them,

The partner may not be cheating at all. There may be a reasonable explanation, and your friend is upset that you drew this conclusion without knowing the facts.

I could probably think of more, but that is what came off the top of my head.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:39 am
A friend of mine told me about my ex cheating on me and I never got mad at him. In fact, I thanked him for telling me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:42 am
I also wouldn't just assume my partner was cheating just because he was seen with another female. Now if they were seen kissing or something, then that's a different story.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
Montana- Youse a goil. It's the guys who are so protective of their "territory"!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:49 am
Ohhhhh!!! I hadn't thought of that.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
I would get pissed off for the simple reason that the friend was making an assumption and knows nothing of my partners side of the story. Now the reason I would get pissed off at the person she was cheating on me with if that happened would be lack of respect for our relationship. I'm not proud of what i've done in the past but it happened to me and the guy she was cheating on me with got hospitalized and the woman got disowned for life. Cheating is wrong very wrong.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 02:14 pm
It sure is SC.
0 Replies