It's raining! It's raining!

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
Water wars - a sign of the times. This one is about the diversion of water fron country Victoria to Melbourne (the state's capital) - via planned pipeline.

Pipe protester arrested on own property
http://images.theage.com.au/2008/09/24/217022/svFARMER-420x0.jpg
"It's a sad day for democracy": Farmer Deb McLeish had the backing of her extended family after being led away by police on her Yea farm yesterday. Photo: Paul Rovere
Peter Ker, David Rood and Adam Morton
September 25, 2008/the AGE

LANDOWNERS planning to resist the Brumby Government's controversial north-south pipe were sent a clear message yesterday when a 50-year-old woman was arrested for obstructing the project.

Less than a week since work started on the 70-kilometre pipeline, Yea farmer Deb McLeish was arrested on her own property when she tried to prevent workers from entering her land to perform surveying works.

A group of close to 20 anti-pipe campaigners gathered at Ms McLeish's property as she attempted to defy the Water Act of 1989, which gives pipeline workers legal permission to enter private properties.

Workers used ladders to enter the property as the stand-off with Ms McLeish showed no sign of abating.

Shortly before 2pm Ms McLeish was led away and charged after she again tried to stand in the workers' way.

"It's a sad day for democracy when you get arrested on your own property," she said.

Workers are expected to return to her property as early as this morning, but Ms McLeish said police had warned of stronger charges if she attempted to obstruct workers again today.

Ms McLeish said she wanted to demonstrate that the Government did not have the approval of landowners to carry out works on private land, but Water Minister Tim Holding said access had been given by 85% of landowners along the pipe route.

Melbourne Water said correspondence had been ongoing with Ms McLeish since August last year and the work was rescheduled to today at the landowner's request.

Premier John Brumby urged property owners to accept that pipe workers had a legal right to enter their properties.

"If you look across a map of Victoria there are literally thousands of underground pipelines … and they all access somebody's property," he said.

Mr Brumby also invited the 2007 Australian of the Year, Professor Tim Flannery, to inspect the project after he labelled the Government's justification for the plan as "bullshit" during an address in Melbourne on Tuesday night.

Professor Flannery accepted the invitation, saying he was particularly interested in how the Government planned to power the pumping of water through the pipe.

"I'm not entirely knowledgeable about the (pipeline) scheme, but just concerned that it's taking water from an already stressed system," he said.

Melbourne Water will negotiate with power companies to buy about 70,000 megawatt hours of renewable energy each year to offset the power used from the electricity grid to pump the water through the pipe.

Victorian Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu " who earlier this week backflipped on a pledge never to take water through the pipeline to Melbourne " seized on Professor Flannery's comments, saying he had branded the north-south pipeline "a dud".

"Tim Flannery says taking water from a drought-stricken catchment is the wrong thing to do. He said exactly what we have been saying and exactly what we will continue to say," he said.

Victorian Farmers Federation spokesman Simon Ramsay said the large number of police in attendance at Ms McLeish's property might have been "over the top" but farmers were still encouraged to abide by the law.

Federal Liberal MP Sharman Stone said she could sympathise with Ms McLeish's frustrations, but did not endorse people breaking the law.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/pipe-protester-arrested-on-own-property-20080924-4nff.html

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:57 pm
.... & then there's the proposed desalination plant, also fiercely unpopular with many folk. (More on that, later.)

The thing is, possibly there are simply too many people for the limited resources available? Especially water. Our state government is hell-bent on increasing the population of Melbourne by one million people by 2030. This is not just a dream or an idea - it's official policy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:02 pm
Sigh.

Today: a perfect (if we didn't need rain) spring day. Clear blue sky, estimated top of 25 C . Not a cloud in sight.
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:28 pm
@msolga,
I'll send you one of ours...
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:40 pm
@hingehead,
One of your clouds, hinge?

Why thank you! Very generous of you. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
What a drag not to be able to just ENJOY perfect spring weather!
Neutral

Yes - I was thinking this last year - we can enjoy a lovely day (well, we can...) - and it's just magic here today (except for the traffic!) but for the farmer, etc., everyone of those lovely days is like another nail in the droughty coffin.
msolga

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:48 am
@margo,
True, Ms margo, true.
But it's starting to feel like that for the whole state of Victora! (SA too, I'd think, & parts of NSW.) Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
Quite some time ago (on the Cat thread) I was debating whether to install a rather pretty bird bath (I'd been admiring) in my backyard garden. Always wanted one, but was worried about the possibility of my resident cat considering the birds easy pickings. OK, so I put it in & crossed my fingers. And for something like 2 years I didn't see one single bird drink from it! Rolling Eyes Laughing Until now ... (The driest September in something like 150 years, we're told.) Over the last few weeks the birds have starting arriving, one at a time, for their morning drink. And the good news is my cat is not remotely interested in them! Very Happy I was sitting outside just now, enjoying a cup of tea, watching one of "my" pigeon pair drinking away. Note to myself: fill the bird bath daily!
margo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:11 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
And the good news is my cat is not remotely interested in them!

Good Lord - Possum would be beside himself! The birds sit on the fence and the clothes line - just out of his reach and laugh at him - he tries anything he can think of (with limited capacity) to get at them.

A bird bath - hello, breakfast! Evil or Very Mad
msolga

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:19 pm
@margo,
Quote:
Good Lord - Possum would be beside himself! The birds sit on the fence and the clothes line - just out of his reach and laugh at him - he tries anything he can think of (with limited capacity) to get at them.

I think my cat (Poppy) invests far too much time & energy trying anything she can think of (with limited capacity) to get at me! Really. Harrassing me for food, head rubs, tummy scritches, food, etc, etc ...... you know the deal!
She's lost interest in the birds completely ... realizing ages ago that they are way smarter & faster than she'll ever be! <snigger>

So I'm really enjoying these daily visitations from various feathered friends in my neighborhood. They are really cool birds, too. My presence doesn't seem to worry them in the least! They look up, clearly see me & just keep drinking.

(As I type this, the sky is fast clouding over, it's getting quite dark out there. Dare I hope for you-know-what?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:23 am
We've just experienced the driest September & October in my state, Victoria, since 1914. Not only are water storage levels extremely low, but it's looking like this summer might see some really devastating bushfires. It's pretty scary, I can tell you ...:

State a tinder box and 'ready to burn'
Stephen Cauchi
November 2, 2008

http://images.theage.com.au/2008/11/01/253981/drystate-420x0.jpg
Dry state.

VICTORIA faces its worst bushfire season in more than a decade, and it is likely to come earlier than in previous years, according to the Bureau of Meteorology. The State Government is also warning that parts of the Victorian Alps region are at risk of "catastrophic" or "major" consequences if there is a fire, largely because of nearby townships and infrastructure.

The warnings come as Melbourne faces its driest spring on record, with September-October rainfall just 26 millimetres " just two-thirds of the previous record low, set in 1914. The long-term outlook for the rest of the year is also drier than average.

According to the bureau's 2008-09 Seasonal Bushfire Assessment areas such as the Dandenong Ranges are at increased risk. "Forested areas have the largest risk … an early start to the fire season is likely in much of this area," it says.

"There is a long-term underlying dryness across much of the state that has developed from 12 years of rainfall deficiencies … fuel loads indicate that far-east Gippsland and Melbourne's water catchments are two forested areas with accumulated forest fuels. (These) are areas of particular concern, as are the Otway and Macedon Ranges."

The report also says that a small region of western Victoria, centred on Little Desert National Park, also has "above-normal fire potential". It says the heathlands of the park are drought-affected and at risk of burning.

Much of the Victorian Alps are an exception to the fire risk as they were burnt out in 2002/03, according to the assessments of both the Government and the bureau.

But the lead author of the bureau's paper, Chris Lucas of the Bushfire Co-operative Research Centre, said that years of chronic rainfall shortage had left the forests in Melbourne's water catchment areas "ready to burn".

"Twelve years of drought have done a number on the forests and they are really dry and ready to go," Dr Lucas said.

He said Victoria was lucky last year " "there were a few big fires around but nothing near populated areas" " but may not be so fortunate in the future.

"Wind is the most crucial factor. It's going to be hot in summer and it's going to be dry, but we get those hot northerlies " 40 degrees with a 30km/h wind " and it gets really dangerous." .... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/state-a-tinder-box-and-ready-to-burn-20081101-5fxi.html?page=-1
dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:56 am
@msolga,
Bugger.

Good luck.

Pretty bad here, too.

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@dlowan,
It's not just raining today, it's pouring ... & freezing & windy!!!Surprised

Wow, back to winter for a few days! (Top of 14 C expected today)

But am I complaining? Not at all, not if some of this rain finds its way into our water catchments. (At about 30% full, last I heard ....)

... & for some of it to soak into my poor garden ... though that won't be too easy as the soil is rather rock-like. But the rain appears to be doing it's best!

I hope SA is getting some of this, Deb. (Floods & gale force winds are expected in eastern Victoria today. And as for southern Qld! Momma mia!) Boy, is this weird or what!? Confused
djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:22 pm
@msolga,
it's cold here too, a high of only -1 celsius today

but it could be worse, about 2 hours east of here they got a meter of snow
msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:36 pm
@djjd62,
Hi djjd! Very Happy

But isn't the cold & snow sort of "right" for you at this time of the year?

We are supposed to be almost into summer. Just a few days of spring to go. This is very weird! Yesterday I was pruning in the garden in the sunshine, while my washing was drying (super fast!) on the clothes line. Today my fingers are frozen & I'm all rugged up. Go figure. Confused

But it's wet, wet, wet!!!

Hooray! Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:37 pm
@msolga,
We had rain last night!!! And it wqas chilly with whistly winds and all!!!

I don't know how much we got, but the roads were still wet and all at about 3.00 am.
msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
Yay! Very Happy

More, more, more, I say!

I have a feeling this is going to be a very strange summer!
Izzie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:44 pm
@msolga,
Excited for your rain Down Under

has anyone heard how Hingehead is.... since the storms up there. Dutchy sent me pics of the lightening.... BIG lightening!!!!

Happy you are getting wet tho Smile
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:48 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Wow, back to winter for a few days! (Top of 14 C expected today)

this made me giggle. 14 celsius is getting toward the top end of my really really comfortable temps.
msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:49 pm
@Izzie,
Thank you for your excitement, Izzie! I'm pretty excited, too! Yay!

Hinge lives in the northern (tropical) part of Queensland (It's a big state). Most of the flooding & wind damage has happened in & around Brisbane, the state capital, in the south. So I think he, Mrs hinge & their animal menagerie are safe from the worst.

(Looking out the window) Ohoh! The sun's just come out. I hope this doesn't mean the wet spell is over!