these effects?

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:16 am
I don't understand what "these" means here.

Context:
ScienceDaily (Dec. 26, 2009) " Going back for a second dessert after your holiday meal might not be the best strategy for living a long, cancer-free life say researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. That's because they've shown exactly how restricted calorie diets -- specifically in the form of restricted glucose -- help human cells live longer.

This discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal, could help lead to drugs and treatments that slow human aging and prevent cancer.

"Our hope is that the discovery that reduced calories extends the lifespan of normal human cells will lead to further discoveries of the causes for these effects in different cell types and facilitate the development of novel approaches to extend the lifespan of humans," said Trygve Tollefsbol, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work from the Center for Aging and Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "We would also hope for these studies to lead to improved prevention of cancer as well as many other age-related diseases through controlling calorie intake of specific cell types."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 744 • Replies: 3
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:43 am
@oristarA,
These effects = slow human aging and prevent cancer
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:10 am
I regret I have to differ from DrewDad. The quoted text is an extract from a paper in a medical journal. It seems to me that 'these effects' refers to preceding text in that paper prior to the beginning of the extracted portion, which led to the remark that reduced calories extends the lifespan of normal human cells. The 'effects' (plural) of a reduced calorie intake were discussed in the section before the extract.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:48 am
I failed to recognize which opinion is better. But of course thank you both for replying.
0 Replies