Why aren't there more Women Film Directors?

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:04 pm
Quote:
December 13, 2009
Women in the Seats but Not Behind the Camera

By MANOHLA DARGIS

Only three women have been nominated as directors by the academy in 81 years: Lina Wertmüller for “Seven Beauties” in 1976; Jane Campion for “The Piano” in 1993; and Sofia Coppola for “Lost in Translation” in 2003. None won.
This isn’t just about money, or even male sexism. There have been women running studios on and off since 1980, when Sherry Lansing became the president of 20th Century Fox. But trickle-down equality doesn’t work in Hollywood, even when women are calling the shots and making the hires, as they presumably did a few years ago, when four out of the six big studios were run by women.
It’s hard to know why women have fared so badly in Hollywood in the last few decades, though any business that refers to its creations as product cannot, by definition, have much imagination. The vogue for comics and superheroes has generally forced women to sigh and squeal on the sidelines. Even the so-called independent sector, with its ostensibly different players and values, hasn’t been much better, as we know from all the female directors who have made a splash at the Sundance Film Festival only to disappear. New digital technologies and the Internet have leveled the field " though usually it seems as if it’s sheer grit that pushes filmmakers like Kelly Reichardt (“Wendy and Lucy”) along the hard road from idea to distribution.

In 1920 an American actress turned director named Ida May Park published an essay for a book titled “Careers for Women,” in which she warned other women about her chosen path. “Unless you are hardy and determined,” she wrote, “the director’s role is not for you. Wait until the profession has emerged from its embryonic state and a system has been evolved by which the terrific weight of responsibility can be lifted from one pair of shoulders. When that time comes I believe that women will find no finer calling.”

There are women who would agree with Park’s conclusions, or would if they could get the chance to direct. The problem is, 90 years later, women have advanced while much of the movie industry has not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/movies/13dargis.html?ref=magazine&pagewanted=print

Who is your favorite female film director? Does sex matter when it comes to making films aimed at the female of the species?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
We had to work up to be editors first. I considered that as a career. Back then.

Since 1980 the quote says. A recent pov.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Who is your favorite female film director?

I don't actually have a particular favourite. But I do admire the work of the 3 you mentioned, tsar.

Here's a promo for a Sofia Coppola film, The Virgin Suicides, which I thought was wonderful! Quite a mesmerizing experience. The promo is a little over-the -top, but it'll give some idea of the film. :

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:04 am
@msolga,
My favorite Sofia Coppola film is Lost in Translation. As for my favorite female director? I have two.
Kathryn Bigelow:
1. Strange Days (1995)
2. The Hurt Locker (2008)
3. Blue Steel (1989)
4. Point Break (1991)
and Deepa Mehta:
Water and Earth
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:21 am
Film directors often started as cutters, and there were one or two woman good at that, back in the day - I forget their names right this minute - in hollywood films.

I surmise the first women directors were european, Lini Riefenstahl being the most famous, but I think several others, Agnes Varda, as a name I remember.

I toyed in my seventeen year old mind re film editing, but was zoned into medicine as a career. (I'da been a better editor, I say now)
Back later.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:23 am
@ossobuco,
As to the why nots? how silly, it was all closed off. Different now, thanks to those who pushed the envelope.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:26 am
I've always thought Penny Marshall and "Big" was special. As well as Kasi Lemmons "Eve Bayou" and Julie Dash's "Daughters of the Dust".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:31 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
My favorite Sofia Coppola film is Lost in Translation.

Yes, I enjoyed that one, too, tsar. But Suicides remains a firm favourite.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:35 am
" Why aren't there more Women Film Directors? "

because there r FEWER Film Directors

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:49 am
Men drive movie sales, what women want does not count for much, and women do a shitty job of making movies for men. Capitalism keeps women out of the directors chair.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:50 am
@hawkeye10,
You're a real charmer, hawkeye!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:52 am
@msolga,
Just keeping it real....the truth ain't pretty sometimes
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:00 am
@hawkeye10,
I am not a fan of Hollywood, so dont get the wrong idea. I have been wanting to go to a movie for weeks, but nothing has looked remotely interesting to this 47 year old guy. I am aged out of the product line. I think movies would be better if women had more of a hand in making and green lighting them.

I will however see Avatar with my kids this week-end, maybe even in shrunk Imax form. This looks like an interesting film.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Except you've forgotten Kathryn Bigelow:
1. Strange Days (1995)
2. The Hurt Locker (2008)
3. Blue Steel (1989)
4. Point Break (1991)
K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)
Most of her films she makes are aimed at a male audience.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:04 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am not a fan of Hollywood, so dont get the wrong idea. I have been wanting to go to a movie for weeks, but nothing has looked remotely interesting to this 47 year old guy. I am aged out of the product line. I think movies would be better if women had more of a hand in making and green lighting them.

I will however see Avatar with my kids this week-end, .
Is that a cartoon ?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
watch the trailer:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809804784/trailer
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:23 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It near blows my mind that on a moment 's notice,
u can come up with a link like that. Things sure have changed since I was young.

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Just keeping it real....the truth ain't pretty sometimes

(On the run here so I can only comment very briefly, sorry ..)

There simply haven't been enough women directors who've been given the opportunities for a comment like yours to be "real", hawkeye. I can barely name 10 well known ones myself. (Can you?) And I don't think it's necessarily because they're lacking the talent to succeed.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:52 am
@msolga,
Im amazed that there are little HAwkeyes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:53 am
@msolga,
Quote:
There simply haven't been enough women directors who've been given the opportunities for a comment like yours to be "real", hawkeye. I can barely name 10 well known ones myself. (Can you?) And I don't think it's necessarily because they're lacking the talent to succeed.

Bullshit, Hollywood is corporate through and through. If the Women produced a product that made more money than the men did then the women would be making most of the movies.

So are you going to blame the fact that Actors make a lot more money than the Actresses of the fact that women have not been given the opportunity to be in movies? Fact: the men are more valuable, so they get the jobs and the money. Hollywood produces what the people want, not what the feminists want the people to want, and it gets the best producers of the product.....

Quote:
Collectively, the big screen's leading men took home an estimated $487 million between June 1, 2007, and June 1, 2008, compared with the leading ladies' haul of $244.5 million

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/22/actors-hollywood-movies-biz-media-cx_lr_0722actors.html