Why aren't there more Women Film Directors?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
The state of the movie industry is pathetic and sexist.
looking back over the last 16 months it is clear that the state of industry and commerce is pathetic. So is the state of the political system, which explains why nothing gets fixed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
It rather seems that way, doesn't it, tsar?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:49 pm
@msolga,
Great filmmakers like Terry Gilliam constantly make movies that don't break even yet he continues to find financing. And limited theatrical release.
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am the guy who says that capitalism has failed.....

And I'm the goil who absolutely LOVES a good film! Very Happy And finds it one of the best possible experiences when I stumble upon one. I also think they're valuable historical records & so many other things important to our culture ...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
true, it's a wonder the guy hasn't packed it in a hundred times
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

true, it's a wonder the guy hasn't packed it in a hundred times

djjd: do u wish to attend an exploratory dinner
of the Opulent Mensan Special Interest Group tomorrow evening
at a lasanya restaurant @ 20th St. & 8th Ave in Manhattan ?

David
0 Replies

Muarck

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
You know you'll hate this answer; but from my experience I'd have to say women generally women aren't cut throat enough to be directors.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:29 pm
@Muarck,
http://i49.tinypic.com/10p0sjq.jpg They're maybe something to that. I would love to have the opportunity to separately shadow male and female directors while they're working their art while making a film (throughout all stages of making a film: pitching the film; script writing and rewrites; acting rehearsals; filming; editing; post production; and marketing as well).
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:53 pm
@Muarck,
Quote:
You know you'll hate this answer; but from my experience I'd have to say women generally women aren't cut throat enough to be directors.

Don't know.

The other side of the coin is that film studios are reluctant to take the "risk" of unknown women directors, preferring to play safe?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:27 am
They didn't get to be editors..
msolga

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
Why is that, do you think, osso?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:44 am
@msolga,
I speak from the middle days - my father became a cutter in something like 1927. He worked his way up in a few studios and some of his peers were famous later as directors - you would recognize them; he had his own ball of wax to deal with - with the army air force and the studios later. I was a natural for all that, though there were few women at the time (I might recognize the names, just can't name them) and decided I was interested in medicine instead. Right around my early teens I was interested both in editing and advertising, and then read Vance Packard at the same time I was reading about the history of medicine.

I've heard there is a kind of closed system for getting in as a film editor, but I don't know that personally.. but learning editing is (I think) a route in and valuable for a director, whether out of some school or working by her or his self.

I can't speak to it now, though I still am friends with at least one good editor and a director. I don't ask them this stuff, more usual friend talk.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:47 am
@tsarstepan,
My life was shadowing that., and paying for a lot of it.

Well, not shadowing women directors.

giant waste.
msolga

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:48 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:58 am
@ossobuco,
Quelle domage!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 01:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Well, not the movie industry's fault, exactly, it is what it is and it is people who may change it over time - and I wouldn't have missed the time I spent.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Women Directors Delpy & DuVernay Talk; How Do We Level the Playing Field?
The LA Times' Nicole Sperling talks to filmmakers Julie Delpy ("2 Days in New York," "2 Days in Paris"), Ava DuVerney ("Middle of Nowhere") and Leslye Headland (the upcoming "Bachelorette") about the state of women directors in Hollywood. It's a grim time for independent cinema and original content across the board, and the battle as a female director continues to be the toughest fight. In 1998, 9% of the top 250 highest-grossing films were directed by women, and last year that percentage dropped to 5%. Below, highlights from the LA Times conversation (read it in its entirety here) - from Hollywood's fear of women and emotions, to the assumption that women have no imagination.

For the rest of the article:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/women-directors-delpy-duvernay-talk-how-do-we-level-the-playing-field
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:26 pm
@tsarstepan,

~~
I'll be seeing Selma (2014) this Sunday. I'll let you know if I think Ava DuVerney was snubbed this year for not being nominated for best direction or not.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 03:54 am
@tsarstepan,
I feel the same way about Selma as I do Oliver Stones JFK....Any movie presenting itself as a representation of a historical event while not actually caring about what actually happened when the screenplay is written should be ignored at awards time. I have no interest in seeing them either.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 11:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, I disdained Oliver Stone's JFK (1991). And to be honest, I am not looking forward to Selma tomorrow. I expect it to be a whitewashed (ironic?) history and potentially tedious 2 hours. I'm going so I can meetup with a few friends on Sunday. And hope the movie will not be a boring as I expect it to be.
0 Replies