It's good to be the Tiger

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:55 pm
@dadpad,
I'm waiting for someone who bothered to read Morford.

I'll be over at the 19th.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

If he would go to sit on Oprah's talkshow and tell her under distress and with
a few tears that he's an sex addict, and that he will seek help from a therapist
and God (of course) and will ask for forgiveness and be at the mercy of Oprah's
audience in the studio and watching, then America will forgive him.
As long as he's in therapy now and believes in God!
what, no book?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:55 pm
None 0f you seem to engage in conversation.

That might be appropriate re the thread.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I read it, Osso. It was funny and it had a lot of truth.
msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I, for one, coud not possibly care less than I do about him,
nor have I any desire to spy on him.

For sure, it 's none of my business.

I so agree with you on this, David! Surprised
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I don't get it, why is this all about oprah?

My guess, osso, is that it might be a little like going to confession in the US. In a very public way. Absolution, following your tearful confession, is then duly bestowed by Oprah & her audience. I guess, after that, you're free to get on with things! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:19 pm
@JTT,
Ok, Jtt, I'll rest now.
JTT

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Nighty night.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:24 pm
@msolga,
Sure, but not related to this thread. (don't get me going re oprah, two friends know her and so what, I don't, no relevance, and am tapping. I did post related to this thread and nada.)
Consider me grumpy.
What is this, Oprahphilia?
msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi osso

I've never watched Oprah, either, but have read/heard enough about her (without even trying!) to know that is where one goes to confess & achieve redemption!

You're allowed to be grumpy. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:19 pm
@msolga,
If she was mentioned in the early part of the thread I'd have never spent all that time transferring an article no one looked at. Wait, Soozoo did.

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm afraid I just looked at this whole thread very quickly, a very short time ago, osso. Sorry.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:40 pm
@msolga,
I'm still sniffy, but see JTT looked at it too.
msolga

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Aw, osso!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:01 am
@msolga,
Ack, caught myself being whiny. Dips self in taffy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:18 am
@ossobuco,
"why do men cheat" would be a good thread subject, but "why did Tiger blow up his marriage and probably his brand" is not. He has been around but no one knows him, and he is not talking. We don't know the wife either, and she is also not talking.

At the relaunch we will see Tiger giving a version of why he did it, but we also will know that it is likely that what he says comes off of a script put together by consultants.....because that is how he has rolled all of his life.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:39 am
John Daly always seems to bounce back. If we can forgive him, why not the Tiger?

I personally think the media and other golfers knew about Tiger but no one said anything, lest the fear of bringing down an icon. Kind of like how everyone knew about JFK but kept it quiet.

He did a fine job of messing up his own life and now must take responsiblity for it. Or at least his agents should.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:12 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

If she was mentioned in the early part of the thread I'd have never spent all that time transferring an article no one looked at. Wait, Soozoo did.

I mentioned Oprah first, as everyone goes to her show when they have
trouble. It was my opinion to the subject. Now quit whining!! Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 09:08 pm
Quote:
If there’s been a consistent narrative to this year and every other in this decade, it’s that most of us, Bernanke included, have been so easily bamboozled. The men who played us for suckers, whether at Citigroup or Fannie Mae, at the White House or Ted Haggard’s megachurch, are the real movers and shakers of this century’s history so far. That’s why the obvious person of the year is Tiger Woods. His sham beatific image, questioned by almost no one until it collapsed, is nothing if not the farcical reductio ad absurdum of the decade’s flimflams, from the cancerous (the subprime mortgage) to the inane (balloon boy).

As of Friday, the Tiger saga had appeared on 20 consecutive New York Post covers. For The Post, his calamity has become as big a story as 9/11. And the paper may well have it right. We’ve rarely questioned our assumption that 9/11, “the day that changed everything,” was the decade’s defining event. But in retrospect it may not have been. A con like Tiger’s may be more typical of our time than a one-off domestic terrorist attack, however devastating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/opinion/20rich.html?_r=1&hp

YA BABY! Frank Rich......keepin it real.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
Quote:

Tiger Woods: about a boy
SALLY JENKINS
January 2, 2010

Woods himself has invoked ''privacy'' time and again in his carefully crafted statements. But he and his overprotective pals are trying to sell us secrecy as privacy. He has a right to privacy, but what he did was lead a secret life, and that's what the tabloids are preying on so relentlessly. A violation of privacy is merely embarrassing. It's the violation of his secrecy that's destroyed his public persona. Big difference. The reason the story has been so engulfing is because of the sheer size of the gap between Woods' public image and his secret conduct.

Looking back over the last few years, it's easy to see how Woods arrived at this point. He has never dealt straightforwardly with his failings. The first sign of trouble was in a GQ article in 1997 by Charles Pierce, a portrait of a chilly, entitled prince who complained about photo sessions and uttered vulgarities. Instead of confessing to tastelessness and bad judgment, Woods issued one of those calibrated formal statements that deflected responsibility. It wasn't his fault; it was Pierce's fault for quoting him.

The Woods who has emerged in the past few weeks doesn't seem to have matured much since. He seems to have simply graduated from lewd jokes to lewd behaviour. While his public persona grew up, he never did.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/golf/tiger-woods-about-a-boy-20100101-lltw.html

In other news, AT&T is the latest to drop Tiger.
0 Replies