My cat is either sick, or feeling very insecure.

roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:25 am
That's Nermal, of course. Nothing ever happens with Spooky.

He started lying upon the desk next to the mouse, with the occasional head bump to my hand. I can't begin to tell you how many Minesweeper games he's lost for me. Then he got a bit more forward and his body often covers my hand. Tonight, he was crouched upon the keyboard. It isn't warm, and it doesn't purr.

Also, he sits with me in the recliner. First on one arm, then a brief stroll across my legs to the other are, and finally to the back of the chair, sometimes ending up where he started. Those who know Nerm will understand he is not an affectionate cat.

There is no Cat Whisperer in town. Shall I whack him upside the head?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,536 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:50 am
@roger,
Maybe he's finally fallen in love with you?
roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:57 am
@dlowan,
Nermal? No, Nermal is oblivious to anything that doesn't bark and bite.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:58 am
@roger,
he's trying to learn to type.

don't leave him alone with the computer is my best advice...

(and hide your credit cards)
roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:54 am
@Rockhead,
He's got a ways to go on the typing. All he's ever entered is a string of +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Somehow, he also has a knack for loading decision boxes, and I have no idea what will happen if I click the wrong option. I'm thinking he needs more attention, but in his catlike way, he doesn't seem receptive except when he needs to annoy someone.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:45 am
@roger,
If he is always smouching your hand, you may find a scent on it that it thinks is pleasant. My cat likes the smell of my feet ! Yeah, figure that out ! But in the middle of when I am doing something it smouches and its teeth dig in. So I leave a shoe for it to play with. See if there is a scent on your hands. Does he want you to pat him ?
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:03 am
@Ionus,
So if you ever bathed the cat , like, wouldnt even know you?
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:14 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
So if you ever bathed, the cat like wouldnt even know you?
I think the only way I will ever find out would be to bathe and that doesnt seem very likely now does it ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:18 am
@roger,
My cat goes wild about my shoes when I come in from outside.....especially my walkers....I assume I have trodden near tom cat marks and that sort of thing.

WHERE have your hands been, Roger?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@Ionus,
Pat him? Yeah, he tolerates a light touch of recognition. At times, he likes to have his head massaged and his ears mangled. But no, he does not want to sit around and be petted. He darn sure doesn't want to be picked up. My fault, there. I never really encouraged either of my guys to be warmy fuzzy, touchy feelie cats. Mostly, we kind of coexist, which is why his recent behavior seems so unusual, not to say disturbing.
dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:47 pm
@roger,
Mid-life crisis?
roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:51 pm
@dlowan,
Maybe. Without checking medical records, I think he's about 5 or 6 years old.
dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:54 pm
@roger,
Seriously, are you going to have him checked by a vet if you are worried?

Presumably, he might have some pathology underlying the change.

Is there a REASON for him to feel insecure?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:11 pm
@roger,
Hmmm. Is he in heat (really a she?)
roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
He's a neutered male, osso.

No, Deb. I'm completely sure the problem, if there is a problem, is emotional. And I haven't done a thing that would make him feel less secure. Still, he does seem to need reassuring, which is odd for Nermal.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:34 pm
@roger,
(I knew I knew that, was making a funny.)

Nermal's heart and soul may be ever so slightly opening up. I think I think it's a good thing. Our cats used to want to engage us when we were on the phone, some sort of primal cat flirting based on primal cat jealousy re the said guardian.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:04 pm
@roger,
Quote:
He's a neutered male....I'm completely sure the problem.....is emotional.....And I haven't done a thing that would make him feel less secure
Shocked I think you have answered your own question. I would take a very long time to forgive you, if ever...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:06 pm
He's probably just cold and trying to get you to get up from the computer and go sit in the recliner so he can snuggle up and get warm.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Nermal's heart and soul may be ever so slightly opening up.
I think this is most likely. Go back to treating him like any other cat and see if he wants attention.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Sounds right, but he never exactly snuggles. Unless he's partially on my lap, which is rare, he gets just close enough to make contact while we share the recliner. At the computer, maybe he is just trying to annoy. He could well be jealous of the computer, but I know he wouldn't want that much time spent on him.
0 Replies