anyone ever did a work-from-home job

brahmin

Sun 13 Dec, 2009 11:44 pm
i know they dont pay much. but i am looking to make 1000$ or thereabouts.

anyone know of an real work from home job that actually pays?? and is not a scam??

i am open to most kinds of WFH jobs as long as its real.

brahmin

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm
No responses ??!!\\

Thats a tad disappointing.

sigh
tsarstepan

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:08 pm
@brahmin,
Check out...
http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/workathomehelp/a/homescam.htm
tsarstepan

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Hang on to Your Money
Do not send money! Legitimate employers don't charge to hire you or to get you started. Don't send money for work at home directories or start-up kits.
Check References
Ask for references if you're not sure about the company's legitimacy. Request a list of other employees or contractors to find out how this has worked for them. Then contact the references to ask how this is working out. If the company isn't willing to provide references (names, email addresses and phone numbers) do not consider the opportunity.
Think Twice
If it sounds too good to be true, you can be sure it is! Also, read any "offers" you get very carefully. One candidate for employment got a very detailed job offer from an employer. The only problem was that she hadn't applied for the job and buried deep within the lines was a request for her bank account information, so the employer could pay her. It was a scam, of course, but with some of the well-written ones it can be hard to tell.

Work at Home Jobs To Avoid

Assembly Jobs - No, you can't make lots of money assembling craft kits or any other type of kits. You can waste money on a package to get you started though.

Data Entry Jobs - You'll see lots of listings for data entry jobs. They are usually either positions posting ads or a sales pitch for a kit that will get you started.

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) which involves recruiting new people, and more new people, to sell the product. If all you are doing is trying to find more people to do what you're doing, keep in mind that there are probably thousands of other people attempting to do the same thing. Most of them aren't getting rich. Also note, that MLM isn't a job with a paycheck - it's starting a business, with no guarantees.

Online Businesses - Do you want to start your own online business and get rich? Be very wary of these type of ads too. What you will do is end up paying for a guide to working at home which duplicates information you can find free.

Posting Ads - There are lots of ads saying workers are needed to post ads on online bulletin boards and forums. You don't get paid to post, rather you may get paid if other people sign-up.

Processing Claims - In order to get "hired" you'll need to buy equipment, software and pay for training.

Stuffing Envelopes - Believe it, or not, there are still people saying that you can earn $3 or $4 per envelope to stuff them. You can't. All major companies have postage machines which stuff, sort and meter mail.
0 Replies

brahmin

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:13 pm
so this whole work from home concept is a sham??
Gala

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
@brahmin,
i think most of it is a scam. be especially wary of the places that want you to pay something to work for them.

if I were you i'd try to find something that's genuinely local. in other words, i had a work from home job from a local printing shop where they provided me with a list of local businesses and i would phone the businesses to schedule appointments for the sales person. for every appointment i got i received money.
0 Replies

Gala

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@brahmin,
if you're looking to make some extra money, why not pursue something seasonal? or are you really hoping to work from home? i found working from home not to be that great.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:36 pm
@brahmin,
I wish it wasn't the case. I would love to work at home and dictate my own work hours.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:55 pm
Getting out of your pj's is the biggest challenge.

However, my SIL put three girls thru college by doing medical transcribing from home. The particular medical office liked her so much that when she moved from Virginia to CA., they arranged everything for her to continue the same work. She attended community college classes for training. Got the referral from her own professor.

....and yes, she worked in her pj's often.
0 Replies

High Seas

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:00 pm
@brahmin,
Not necessarily, you can do (if qualified) translations, transcripts, proofreading, give private lessons, etc. However read the FTC warnings carefully first - you can also call the Better Business Bureau in your area:
Quote:
“Work Part-Time from Home.” Most scammers promise an ideal work situation " the ability to set your own hours, be your own boss, or work from home. In fact, this rosy scenario is far from reality for most small business owners. “Be Your Own Boss” “Own a Dealership Today”

“Earn $2,000 a month.” If an ad claims buyers can make a certain amount of money, the law says the promoter must give the number and percentage of previous purchasers who earned the income. If an earnings claim is there, but the additional information isn’t, ask for more information: the business opportunity seller may be violating the law. “$50K/yr” “Vending route nets $1,700/wk”

“No risk! Guaranteed!” Ads that promise a big payout with little or no risk are usually a telltale sign of a fraud. Legitimate business ventures involve risks " usually in proportion to the promised return. “Huge Income” “100% return on your investment!”

“Quick and Easy!” Successful start-up businesses, including franchises, require a lot of work to get off the ground, let alone manage. Only a few are profitable from the start. If ads promise vending locations, they may not be current or high-traffic; the merchandise also may be out-of-date or of poor quality. “Start Earning Today” “Prime locations available now”

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/opps/bus68.shtm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:39 pm
guru.com

freelance.com

brahmin

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
thats what i wanted to hear.

links to a couple of work for home schemes that actually work/pay.

no i dont wish to make a career out of it, nor is that possible.

but i could do with an extra 1 grand a month, in this recession.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:39 pm
@brahmin,
brahmin wrote:
so this whole work from home concept is a sham??

Most of the time. If you see it advertised broadly it's usually a scam. You don't need to advertise legitimate work-from-home opportunities.

See, there are billions of people on this earth who would love to make $1,000/month, and they are willing to do a lot more than sit from home. Being able to work from home is attractive to a large portion of the world's population as well. So there's a bit of an imbalance between the supply and demand for this kind of work.

There certainly are legitimate jobs you can do from home (I work from home) but you usually need a skill and you may need to go so far as making the job yourself (i.e. start a business).

So if you have a skill you can offer as a service online you might want to check out sites like elance or search for other freelance marketplaces. You can sign up for jobs writing, researching, etc. There's also Amazon Mechanical Turk (but most of the jobs won't make much money, check it out if you can do transcription or translating), ebay (lots of people make a living from home by reselling things on ebay) and many other legitimate ways to make money online.

But most of the time you see "work from home!" as copy, it's going to be some kind of scam (in a common one you sign up for promotions that they get money for, and they give you a small cut. You sign up for credit cards, etc, and make pennies).
High Seas

Tue 15 Dec, 2009 06:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Anybody else gets a sense that all these "comments" after the "news article" were written by the same person?
Quote:
...Can you say "I can afford $1.97 (shipping charges) to become completely debt-free and have lots of cash in my pocket? Yes!!! You see, I am just doing my part and letting the word out so that you don't have to go through what I ended up going through. And yes it is legitimate you can generate $5,000+ per month posting text links on major search engines. These systems did show me how."

http://21localnews.com/economy/is-working-at-home-new-gold-rush/
0 Replies