Landmarks of Your Personal Past

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Where's the Wayside Inn?
I am remembering ever so slightly the Larchmont (sp) Inn in NY and the Dominion Room in Evanston - the Palmer House (the day I got new ice skates) in Chicago, just before my father lost his then job. I particularly remember something called 1/2 Spring Chicken at the Dominion Room... and they had tablecloths.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@eoe,
Yes, I think so....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:23 pm
@eoe,
It was also a natural precursor of Venturi's writing on Ducks and Sheds (trying to remember, it's been a long time since I read Venturi).
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
@ossobuco,
72 Wayside Inn Road, Sudbury, MA
http://www.wayside.org/index.php
Quote:
Longfellow's Wayside Inn"a nationally significant historic landmark"is an old Inn and tavern that has been serving travelers along the old Boston Post Road for almost 300 years. What began as an extension of David Howe's family home in 1716, the Inn has thrived through years of growth and expansion and survived because of its important history and beautiful setting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:26 pm
I spent my junior and senior years of high school at Sacred Heart Juniorate.
It had been the Proctor Estate at the turn of the century.
Now it is the campus of New England Biolabs

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8968/02072009101352am.jpg
Our school building, formerly the carriage house and stables

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7164/02152009053332pm.jpg
"The Main House", formerly the Proctor residence.

http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/images/Biolabs_Bldg2.gif
New England Biolabs.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Back a few years in my youth -
the old Penn Station, seems earlier than when I saw it ('50) - or maybe not

http://wirednewyork.com/images/nycbw/207.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
Penn Station?? Imagine how enormous it must appear to a small child?

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4853/wieboldts.jpg

Wieboldt's Store, Inc.
My first advertising job in downtown Chicago.
State Street that great street!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
@George,
This set me to trying to find a photo of Notre Dame Academy Girls High School, but I don't have the patience to make my way through all the photos about the university. In my case, it's a landmark I avoid driving by now, but still a landmark.
George

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This set me to trying to find a photo of Notre Dame Academy Girls High School,
but I don't have the patience to make my way through all the photos about the
university. In my case, it's a landmark I avoid driving by now, but still a
landmark.

Sorry to hear the "avoid driving by" part. I know you had a rough time of it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:51 pm
@George,
Well, rough is in the eye of the beholder. I think you are a few years younger than I am and rigidity had loosened up (the immaculate heart nuns had begun their maneuvers) all around even though the years between us aren't all that many. Plus other stuff was going on at home. Still, a kind of landmark.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/cms/wp-content/gallery/objectsthroughtime/objects/villawood/image005.jpg

Site of my family's first home in Australia, as newly arrived refugees/migrants. (Along with countless thousands of others.) Bonegilla Migrant Camp, in the middle of nowhere, close to the border of Victoria & NSW. (No, I'm not in the photograph, it's archival material.) It was a disused army camp, adapted for the circumstances. I have absolutely no recollection of life at Bonegilla (perhaps just as well! Wink ) as I was barely one year old at the time. But it's a very significant place for me. The start of a brand new, hopeful life for our family. Suddenly we were Australians!

The Bonegilla experience. A video in this link, if you're interested:
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:49 pm
@msolga,
I am interested in all that, msolga, if you feel like telling more. I book I read not all that long ago was Primo Levi's La Tregua (in English, The Reawakening) about his journey after Auschwitz.

more on him here - http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/primo.htm
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:51 pm
@msolga,
cool, will have to check that out
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso. The whole refugee/migration experience seems more & more important to me, the older I get. But perhaps we shouldn't clog up edgar's thread? I'd definitely be interested in contributing to something like A2Ker's migration experiences, if such a thread existed. Taking a look at your link now.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Very interesting thread, osso!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:16 pm
@msolga,
Tell away. That's what this thread's for.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nah, another thread, edgar. Really. But thanks for your interest. Smile
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:55 pm
I do love this topic, and related to the signs brought up by dys. As a little kid I lived near Greenville Texas and rode down its main street often under the hugest sign I've ever seen. It was black material of some sort with white letters screaming: THE BLACKEST LAND AND THE WHITEST PEOPLE.

Of course, I was extremely ni-eve and hadn't a clue what it meant, never asked either. Living most of my adult life in the northern part of the US, that sign always haunted me, I couldn't believe it really existed. But, then, there were all those drinking fountains and public rest rooms with "white" or "colored" blazing. Really, young as I was, the signs left me feeling disgusted and embarrassed.

Another thing: In Dallas, on both sides of S. Acker Street were houses of prostitution - whore houses - during the 50s. Imagine. And, in Terrell, Texas, the insane asylum was very prominent with the 2-story buildings built very close to the street. You could see the inmates from behind barred windows, making faces and yelling at the passersby. Really.

I returned to Texas in retirement because my husband had a job in Mexico, one of those cushy consultant positions for Ford. That didn't pan out but we're happy living in Austin where most of the residents are from California or Asia.

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:59 pm
@Pemerson,
Hey, Pemerson, good to see you back again! Smile

Good post!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:06 pm
As a kid, in Fresno, California, I often got to swim in the Kings River. We went on daylong family outings. The park there is perfect for the biggest to the smallest child. As I grew older and family circumstances changed, we quit going on outings of any sort. But, some of my brothers and I went for hikes that led us along the canals of Fresno. There were some great swimming spots along the way. Below is the story of the canals, for anyone interested.

Fresno Irrigation District was formed in 1920 under the California Irrigation Districts Act, as the successor to the privately owned Fresno Canal and Land Company. The District purchased all of the rights and property of the company for the sum of $1,750,000.
The assets of the company consisted of over 600 miles of canals and distribution works which were constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, as well as the extensive water rights on Kings River.

The District, which now comprises some 245,000 acres, lies entirely within Fresno County and includes the rapidly growing Fresno-Clovis metropolitan area. The District now operates approximately 800 miles of canals and pipelines. Total irrigated area exceeds 150,000 acres, although this number has been decreasing in recent years as a result of urban expansion.

A significant improvement in the control and management of the waters of Kings River occurred with the completion of the Pine Flat Dam project by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1954. Although built primarily as a flood control project, the Dam provides significant water conservation stemming from the storage and regulation of irrigation water by the 28 water right entities on Kings River including Fresno Irrigation District. The District is contracted for 11.9% of the 1,000,000 acre-foot capacity of the Pine Flat Reservoir. While the District is entitled to approximately 26% of the average runoff of Kings River, much of its entitlement occurs at times when it can be used directly for irrigation of crops without the need for regulation at Pine Flat.

In a normal year, the District diverts approximately 500,000 acre-feet of water and delivers most of that to agricultural users, although an increasing share of the District's water supply is used for groundwater recharge in the urban area.

In addition to its entitlement from Kings River, the District and the City of Fresno have signed contracts to purchase up to 135,000 acre-feet annually from the Friant Division of the Central Valley Project.

Historically, excess water applied by the by the farmers has percolated beyond the root zone and recharged the extensive aquifer underlying the Fresno Irrigation District. Between 85% and 90% of the groundwater supply can be attributed to water imported and distributed by the District.

However, the conversion of agricultural lands to high-density urban uses in the expanding Fresno-Clovis metropolitan area has reduced the capacity to utilize surface water because all municipal and industrial water is obtained by pumping groundwater. A local overdraft has developed in and around the urban area, and this situation has been exacerbated by the drought of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The District has combined forces with the City of Fresno, the City of Clovis, the County of Fresno, and the Fresno Metropolitan Flood Control District in a cooperative effort to develop and implement a comprehensive surface and groundwater management program. The main thrust of the program involves using flood control basins for recharge during the summer when the basins are not needed to control urban storm runoff. This program also contains elements designed to protect the quality of groundwater in the area.

The District is also expanding and improving its distribution system to deliver water to agricultural lands that have not received surface water in the past, but have instead obtained water for crops from groundwater pumping.

The District is governed by a board of five directors. Each director represents a separate geographical division of the District and is elected to a term of four years by the qualified voters within the division. Regular board meetings are held twice a month.

The budget is adopted by the Board in September for the following calendar year. The principal source of the District's income is water user fees for services provided by the District. There is no direct charge for the purchase of water. As such, the income of the District remains relatively stable despite fluctuations in the availability of water.

Day-to-day operations of the District are the responsibility of the General Manager acting through the following described four departments:

The District has a normal complement of about 81 full-time employees, an annual operating budget of approximately $6,300,000, and an annual capital budget of about $700,000.

1999 proved to be an excellent year for water in this area. In spite of low winter rainfall, FID delivered a total of approximately 545,500 acre-feet, as compared to 500,000 acre-feet in a normal year and 330,000 acre-feet in some of the recent dry years.

Landowners within the District enjoy water costs of approximately $9 per acre foot, which is among the cheapest in the state.

FID management is not resting on its laurels.

FID management also is actively involved in issues of environmental concerns and water supplies for other water agencies. The focus of these efforts is to address the concerns and challenges faced in our society while providing a reliable and affordable water supply for the cities and farmland within

0 Replies