weighed concerns ... mortgage markets

fansy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:35 am
Quote:
As in recent weeks, the markets moved in wild swings " sharp drops were followed by steep gains and vice versa " underscoring the uncertainty. Investors weighed concerns that losses in the American mortgage market would deepen and spread against their faith in the ability of a strong global economy to withstand additional shocks.

What does "weighed concerns" mean?
What does "American mortgage markest" mean? Does it refer to the American subprime crisis?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:03 am
@fansy,
Quote:
weighed concerns

means they are overweight fixed interest

Quote:
spread against their faith

means they are arbitrageurs of buddha gainst other fat prophet gods

Quote:
merkin mortgage market

means doom with a view

butt i could bewrong
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:00 am
fansy wrote:
What does "weighed concerns" mean?

Here "weigh" is a metaphor. You should have noticed the word "against" later on.

Literally, one weighs one thing against another thing on a scale.

here is a picture of a scale (I hope you can see it)

http://icons.mysitemyway.com/wp-content/gallery/glossy-space-icons-signs/thumbs/thumbs_092366-glossy-space-icon-signs-scale-sc2.png

To weigh two things against each other, you put one in each pan. The pan holding the heavier thing will be the lower one.

Metaphorically, one can "weigh" two ideas or abstract concepts. One compares them. Investors had to decide between:

(1) Their fears that losses in the American mortgage market would get worse.
(2) Their faith that a strong global economy would recover.

Investors had to "weigh" [decide, evaluate] whether [in their opinion based on knowledge and information available], (1) or (2) was more likely.

When my son asked me if he could go camping in the forest, I had to weigh my fears for his safety against my trust in his maturity and good sense.

What does "American mortgage markest" mean?[/quote]

In America, and other Western countries, there is a "market" in mortgages and other loans. If you borrow money from a bank to buy a house, promising to pay it back over a period of time, that bank may sell all or part of the debt to another instititution or to individual investors. The aggregate of all such transactions is the "market". When people do not think that mortgages are a good form of investment, then there may be a crisis in the mortgage market. There is one at the moment.

Unfortunately, Miss L Toad is a "troll" who has answered your question with nonsense, for his or own childish amusement. You should disregard further posts from this person.
fansy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 10:18 pm
@contrex,
Contex,
I thank you very much for your patient explanation to this question and all other questions I asked before.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 11:20 pm
@contrex,
Un huh. The nonsense answers are all well and good on the nonsense threads.
0 Replies