Project = ?

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:00 am
Context:
“We’re so motivated to get rid of that feeling that we look for meaning and coherence elsewhere,” said Travis Proulx, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and lead author of the paper appearing in the journal Psychological Science. “We channel the feeling into some other project, and it appears to improve some kinds of learning.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 533 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:39 am
Well, i'm sure that this is not a problem with you understanding the word project, so i can only say that there's not enough context to answer this question. The most i could conjecture is that he and his co-workers are involved in one project which inspires them with feelings which it would only be appropriate to apply to a different project.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:13 am
Once again OristarA omits the full context!

OristarA, you do this a lot. It is a serious fault if you expect to get help on here.

It's a piece extracted from a "Mind" column in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/health/06mind.html?_r=1

Quote:
How Nonsense Sharpens the Intellect

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: October 5, 2009

In addition to assorted bad breaks and pleasant surprises, opportunities and insults, life serves up the occasional pink unicorn. The three-dollar bill; the nun with a beard; the sentence, to borrow from the Lewis Carroll poem, that gyres and gimbles in the wabe.

An experience, in short, that violates all logic and expectation. The philosopher Soren Kierkegaard wrote that such anomalies produced a profound “sensation of the absurd,” and he wasn’t the only one who took them seriously. Freud, in an essay called “The Uncanny,” traced the sensation to a fear of death, of castration or of “something that ought to have remained hidden but has come to light.”

At best, the feeling is disorienting. At worst, it’s creepy.

Now a study suggests that, paradoxically, this same sensation may prime the brain to sense patterns it would otherwise miss " in mathematical equations, in language, in the world at large.

“We’re so motivated to get rid of that feeling that we look for meaning and coherence elsewhere,” said Travis Proulx, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and lead author of the paper appearing in the journal Psychological Science. “We channel the feeling into some other project, and it appears to improve some kinds of learning.” Researchers have long known that people cling to their personal biases more tightly when feeling threatened. ... In a series of new papers, Dr. Proulx and Steven J. Heine, a professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia, argue that these findings are variations on the same process: maintaining meaning, or coherence. The brain evolved to predict, and it does so by identifying patterns.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:27 am
@oristarA,
In this context, "project" means an organized effort to achieve a specific goal. If my garage was a complete mess and needed a lot of attention, I might say that cleaning my garage is my weekend project.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 09:00 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies