Proof of nonexistence of free will

guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

There are several propositions on Many Worlds, not just one, when it comes to determinism or not there´s a possibility that supports that all States exist simultaneously in superposition only because there are several worlds interfering with each other thus the wave function "effect" being perfectly deterministic in nature even if not knowable due to the said interference...you would still have classical mechanics.

The Many-Worlds interpretation was created to deal with the measurement problem: to solve it. And it solves it by proposing that when a measurement occurs, the wave function does not collapse into a single outcome. Instead, all possible outcomes are observed, each in a different universe. And for that solution to work, someone in one universe cannot be aware of even the existence of another universe, and definitely two different universes cannot "interfere": their total independence is a requirement for the Many-Worlds interpretation to work: each new universe responds to the need of realizing one measurement outcome without the observer of that outcome possibly observing any of the other outcomes, each of which happens in a different universe. As a consequence, this is an unverifiable theory: there is no way of testing it to decide if it is "correct" and the other interpretations of quantum physics are wrong. They are all practically equivalent: this is not a matter of different scientific theories, but rather one of different interpretations of the same scientific theory.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:38 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Meaning that it does n´t matter if Truth is actual in a "potential realm" given such realm exists...or actual in our Realm...in any sense, Truth is always actual !
That´s the beauty of Truth...the "bloody" thing is Absolute !!!

Truth is either possible or actual: it can be possible without being actual, and its being actual depends on its being possible (but you are correct: there is an absolute truth, although it is not what you think it is).
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:19 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Meaning that it does n´t matter if Truth is actual in a "potential realm" given such realm exists...

Heisenberg's "potentia" would grossly correspond to what I am calling "possibility," although only grossly: my possibility is not Heisenberg's "potentia": my possibility really exists as a possibility, rather than as an "attenuated" actuality. And there is no "potential realm": there is only one realm, which is ours: reality, and it includes what goes on inside our minds (not heads or brains, but minds).

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
or actual in our Realm...in any sense, Truth is always actual !

Our realm is reality, which is both possible and actual since, if it were not possible, then it could never be actual. Whatever you say about reality, you must never forget:

1) Actualities depend on their own possibility.
2) Possibilities can exist without yet being actualities.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

To see the real beauty of it, by finding a really absolute truth, you must begin by accepting the reality of possibility, then follow the contradictions within that dual truth (possible/actual) all the way to its last logical consequence: all the truths you call absolute are subject to doubt, so calling them absolute is not exactly beautiful.
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
But let us play your game: let us assume that possibilities do not really exist:

1. Suppose I can go for a walk in the park near my home tomorrow (or even today). Then, how can you say that possibilities do not really exist without implying that I cannot go for a walk in that park, either today or tomorrow?

2. Or suppose that it is already tomorrow, and I did went for that walk in the park. Then, how can you say that possibilities do not really exist without implying that I did not really go to my walk in the park, since it was never a real possibility?

In other words, how can you say that something is not a real possibility without making it impossible?

(As you can see, quantum physics is only bringing to the surface a long-forgotten problem.)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:58 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Meaning that it does n´t matter if Truth is actual in a "potential realm" given such realm exists...

Heisenberg's "potentia" would grossly correspond to what I am calling "possibility," although only grossly: my possibility is not Heisenberg's "potentia": my possibility really exists as a possibility, rather than as an "attenuated" actuality. And there is no "potential realm": there is only one realm, which is ours: reality, and it includes what goes on inside our minds (not heads or brains, but minds).

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Our realm is reality, which is both possible and actual since, if it were not possible, then it could never be actual. Whatever you say about reality, you must never forget:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

To see the real beauty of it, by finding a really absolute truth, you must begin by accepting the reality of possibility, then follow the contradictions within that dual truth (possible/actual) all the way to its last logical consequence: all the truths you call absolute are subject to doubt, so calling them absolute is not exactly beautiful.

1 - I was very specific right in the previous posts on this and did actually ask you in what measure did you think in the nature of possibility as a group...namely if it would concern a mental exercise regarding the knowing on the object as a set of chances or the Truth of the object as a process to an outcome...in which case only one possibility is to be true in our Universe, thus being already true even if one those not know it...there are no such thing as false possibility´s !
You have been bouncing on this forward and back...The "Potential Realm" if you cared to read properly, was basically a question not an answer, that I pose to you regarding your contradiction on this issue, which was meant to perceive in what conceivable measure you take the nature of possibility in terms of its own property´s as a concept and that you still failed to clarify thus far...

2 - That actuality´s depend on their possibility is all to obvious even for a 4 year old kid...the question rises when you say that possibilities can exist without yet being actualities, as possible false Truths and similar nonsense...

What is possibly false is our guessing not the thing itself...
The thing either is possible or impossible !

Finally:

Quote:
reality, and it includes what goes on inside our minds (not heads or brains, but minds).

3 - What in the hell are you talking about ???

4 - There is in fact a proposition concerning parallel Universe that proposes the idea of interference between Worlds as an explanation to the superposition state...it seams obvious that you are not familiar with it, in which case you just should be silent !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:11 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

But let us play your game: let us assume that possibilities do not really exist:

1. Suppose I can go for a walk in the park near my home tomorrow (or even today). Then, how can you say that possibilities do not really exist without implying that I cannot go for a walk in that park, either today or tomorrow?

2. Or suppose that it is already tomorrow, and I did went for that walk in the park. Then, how can you say that possibilities do not really exist without implying that I did not really go to my walk in the park, since it was never a real possibility?

In other words, how can you say that something is not a real possibility without making it impossible?

(As you can see, quantum physics is only bringing to the surface a long-forgotten problem.)

Very simple my friend...
One thing is my guessing on what I might or might not do, based on ideas of plausibility, like I am not paralysed therefore I can walk down the park whenever I chose to, which opens a set of possibility´s in my mind...and quite another to actually demonstrate the causal mechanical chain to support it...point in which you might want to jump to the talk on the superposition states, which as I pointed out earlier, in terms of nature might all be considered as actual Truths independently on the theory´s that supports them explaining what they meant or mean with this...

...the particle is literally everywhere in the wave in a state of superposition and not possibly everywhere...possibly concerns the problem on knowledge by probability through observation thus provoking the collapse of the superposition state !
You are making a troublesome mess on this issue !
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

guigus wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I was very specific right in the previous posts on this and did actually ask you in what measure did you think in the nature of possibility...namely if it would concern a mental exercise regarding the knowing on the object as a set of chances or the Truth of the object as a process to an outcome...

Neither: possibility is a stage in the process of being, and it includes possible falsehoods as well.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
in which case only one possibility is to be true in our Universe, thus being already true even if one those not know it...

There is your mistake: actuality does not "bounce back": it is not retrospective (if it were that easy!). When the wave function collapses, the particle that emerges does not make its own probabilities become an illusion. The proof is that any future measurement will have to obey the same probability laws, and there is never a way of assuring one result over the others. If actuality "revealed" a previously unknown necessity (causality), then a new law would emerge, which cannot happen in quantum physics.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
there are no false possibility´s !

Unfortunately, there are: sometimes you mistakenly assume something is possible only to later find out it wasn't. For example, you can mistakenly calculate the probability wave of a particle, including possibilities that are mathematically wrong, hence false.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
You have been bouncing on this forward and back...

It is your concept of actuality that bounces back into the past, confusing itself with its own possibility.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
The "Potential Realm" was an a question not an answer, that I pose to you regarding your contradiction on this issue, which was meant to perceive in what conceivable measure you take the nature of possibility in terms of its own property´s as a concept and that you still failed to clarify thus far...

My concept of a possibility is that of something that can be or happen, or even already happened, since what already happened must have been possible to happen. There is no mystery here.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
That actuality´s depend on their possibility is all to obvious even for a 4 year old kid...the question rises when you say that possibilities can exist without yet being actualities, as possible false Truths and similar nonsense...

You are confusing contradiction with nonsense: nonsense means nothing, while a contradiction means two (or more) contradictory things. What I am saying is that:

1. An actual truth must be possible (as any 4-year-old knows).
2. A possibility is the same as a possible truth.
3. A possible truth must be a possible falsehood, otherwise it ceases to be a possibility.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
What is possibly false is our guessing not the thing itself...
The thing either is possible or impossible !

So you admit that the thing itself "either is possible or impossible," hence may be possible -- as your very argument for denying its real possibility: you cannot avoid it, can you? For denying the possibility of anything real, you are forced to accept it as a possibility.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Finally:

Quote:
reality, and it includes what goes on inside our minds (not heads or brains, but minds).

1 - What in the hell are you talking about ???

I am saying that reality is not only objective, but also subjective. That's what I am talking about.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
2 -There is in fact a proposition concerning parallel Universe that proposes the idea of interference between Worlds as an explanation to the superposition state...it seams obvious that you are not familiar with it, in which case you just should be silent !

Sorry, but I cannot be silent, since I must say that such a theory has nothing to do with Hugh Everett's Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum physics (remember what you said about not putting words in the mouths of well-known physicists?).
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

guigus wrote:

Very simple my friend...
One thing is my guessing on what I might or might not do, based on ideas of plausibility, like I am not paralysed therefore I can walk down the park whenever I chose to, which opens a set of possibility´s in my mind...and quite another to actually demonstrate the causal mechanical chain to support it...point in which you might want to jump to the talk on the superposition states, which as I pointed out earlier, in terms of nature might all be considered as actual Truths independently on the theory´s that supports them explaining what they meant or mean with this...

...the particle is literally everywhere in the wave in a state of superposition and not possibly everywhere...possibly concerns the problem on knowledge by probability through observation thus provoking the collapse of the superposition state !
You are making a troublesome mess on this issue !

I don't think you have noticed, my friend, but you didn't answer to my question.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:32 am
@guigus,
Quote:
3. A possible truth must be a possible falsehood, otherwise it ceases to be a possibility.

Again and again and again...that concerns Knowledge, my suppositions on the matter not facts !!! The thing is either possible or impossible !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Neither: possibility is a stage in the process of being, and it includes possible falsehoods as well.

Possible falsehoods only means Impossibility's !!!

Quote:
Sorry, but I cannot be silent, since I must say that such a theory has nothing to do with Hugh Everett's Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum physics (remember what you said about not putting words in the mouths of well-known physicists?).

It was pointed out to you very early in this talk, its a variation on it !!!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:36 am
@guigus,
What question, eeeeh ?
I think you are the one to address a question !!!
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:43 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Quote:

Again and again and again...that concerns Knowledge, my suppositions on the matter not facts !!! The thing is either possible or impossible !!!!!!!!!!

Easy, or you will have a heart-attack. Follow me: if any being is either possible or impossible, then it may be false (by being impossible). However, it is not actually false yet, since we are talking about its possibility. Then its being possible is the same as its being both possibly true (possible) and possibly false (a possible impossibility). However, a possible impossibility can imply that something can become necessarily false, which is not the only form of a possible falsehood: there are contingent falsehoods, which you can only know about by waiting and seeing. In this sense, a possible falsehood has a larger "scope" then a possible impossibility.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Quote:

Possible falsehoods only means Impossibility's !!!

Careful with your heart: read my previous paragraph, please.
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Quote:

It was pointed out to you very early in this talk, its a variation on it !!!

By whom?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 10:38 am
@guigus,
1 - A POSSIBLE IMPOSSIBILITY HAS NO ONTOLOGICAL PROPERTY´S , BUT RATHER EPISTEMIC FEATURES !

WHAT IS IT THAT YOU CAN´T GET ON THIS ???

Meaning you cannot attribute "existence" to a negative like a "possible impossibility" on per se !!!

The only way you can do this exercise is in epistemic terms...given when you say a possible impossibility what you are conveying is that to you, there´s the possibility of something being impossible or possible given you don´t know !
The per se you cannot do this ! Given something is either or just possible or impossible !!!

Quote:
By whom?
By me !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 10:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I told you so !...

Quote:
Many-worlds interpretation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quantum-mechanical "Schrödinger's cat" paradox according to the many-worlds interpretation. In this interpretation every event is a branch point; the cat is both alive and dead, even before the box is opened, but the "alive" and "dead" cats are in different branches of the universe, both of which are equally real, but which cannot interact with each other.[1]

Many-worlds is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction, but denies the reality of wavefunction collapse, which implies that all possible alternative histories and futures are real —each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). It is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many worlds.

The original relative state formulation is due to Hugh Everett in 1957.[2][3] Later, this formulation was popularized and renamed many-worlds by Bryce Seligman DeWitt in the 1960s and '70s.[1][4][5][6]

Many-worlds claims to reconcile how we can PERCEIVE - non-deterministic events, such as the random decay of a radioactive atom, with the deterministic equations of quantum physics. Prior to many-worlds, reality had been viewed as a single unfolding history. Many-worlds, rather, views reality as a many-branched tree, wherein every possible quantum outcome is realised.

In many-worlds, the subjective appearance of wavefunction collapse is explained by the mechanism of quantum decoherence. By decoherence, many-worlds claims to resolve all of the correlation paradoxes of quantum theory, such as the EPR paradox[7][8] and Schrödinger's cat,[1] since every possible outcome of every event defines or exists in its own "history" or "world". In layman's terms, there is a very large—perhaps infinite[9]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but didn't, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes.

The decoherence approach to interpreting quantum theory has been further explored and developed[10][11][12] becoming quite popular, taken as a class overall. MWI is one of many Multiverse hypotheses in physics and philosophy. It is currently considered a mainstream interpretation along with the other decoherence interpretations and the Copenhagen interpretation.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I told you so !...

Quote:
Many-worlds interpretation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quantum-mechanical "Schrödinger's cat" paradox according to the many-worlds interpretation. In this interpretation every event is a branch point; the cat is both alive and dead, even before the box is opened, but the "alive" and "dead" cats are in different branches of the universe, both of which are equally real, but which cannot interact with each other.[1]

Many-worlds is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction, but denies the reality of wavefunction collapse, which implies that all possible alternative histories and futures are real —each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). It is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many worlds.

The original relative state formulation is due to Hugh Everett in 1957.[2][3] Later, this formulation was popularized and renamed many-worlds by Bryce Seligman DeWitt in the 1960s and '70s.[1][4][5][6]

Many-worlds claims to reconcile how we can PERCEIVE - non-deterministic events, such as the random decay of a radioactive atom, with the deterministic equations of quantum physics. Prior to many-worlds, reality had been viewed as a single unfolding history. Many-worlds, rather, views reality as a many-branched tree, wherein every possible quantum outcome is realised.

In many-worlds, the subjective appearance of wavefunction collapse is explained by the mechanism of quantum decoherence. By decoherence, many-worlds claims to resolve all of the correlation paradoxes of quantum theory, such as the EPR paradox[7][8] and Schrödinger's cat,[1] since every possible outcome of every event defines or exists in its own "history" or "world". In layman's terms, there is a very large—perhaps infinite[9]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but didn't, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes.

The decoherence approach to interpreting quantum theory has been further explored and developed[10][11][12] becoming quite popular, taken as a class overall. MWI is one of many Multiverse hypotheses in physics and philosophy. It is currently considered a mainstream interpretation along with the other decoherence interpretations and the Copenhagen interpretation.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

This says exactly what I have told you, namely, that the different worlds "cannot interact with each other." Just the opposite of your assertion that they would "interfere."

Now regarding the following excerpt:

Quote:
Many-worlds claims to reconcile how we can PERCEIVE - non-deterministic events, such as the random decay of a radioactive atom, with the deterministic equations of quantum physics.

This is no accurate: although a probability is deterministic as a mathematical result, it is non-deterministic regarding the event it predicts, and quantum equations produce probabilities. What Everett did was to transform each possible event into an actual one in some alternate world, which only makes the set of all possible events deterministic as all possible mathematical results of some quantum equation, while each single event remains non-deterministic: since we can only see a single event -- as the many worlds cannot interact -- which event we will see remains non-deterministic. As I said, this interpretation does not change a bit what we can predict or see in practice.

This Wikipedia article fails to show that the main goal of the Many-Worlds interpretation was to solve the measurement problem: how the world can be described at once as a wave function and as definite particles? And its solution is to create as many worlds as required for avoiding the wave function collapse entirely. Instead of collapsing, each possible outcome gets realized in some alternate world.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - A POSSIBLE IMPOSSIBILITY HAS NO ONTOLOGICAL PROPERTY´S , BUT RATHER EPISTEMIC FEATURES !

WHAT IS IT THAT YOU CAN´T GET ON THIS ???

Meaning you cannot attribute "existence" to a negative like a "possible impossibility" on per se !!!

The only way you can do this exercise is in epistemic terms...given when you say a possible impossibility what you are conveying is that to you, there´s the possibility of something being impossible or possible given you don´t know !
The per se you cannot do this ! Given something is either or just possible or impossible !!!

Quote:
By whom?
By me !

I suspected that.
tomr

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:55 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thanks for the advice. It is a good thing to doubt ones belief. I think for every concept we believe we should spend as much time trying to dispute it as coming to believe in it. I am only 27 and so you have me beat in the time it takes to come to such realizations and I am one to appreciate the value of time put to thinking. I too question myself on the problems of infinity, locality and entanglement as well as the wave/particle duality and I will continue to thoroughly question any belief as a madman questioning the commands of the voices in his head.
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 12:09 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It is a good thing to doubt ones belief. I think for every concept we believe we should spend as much time trying to dispute it as coming to believe in it. I am only 27 and so you have me beat in the time it takes to come to such realizations and I am one to appreciate the value of time put to thinking. I too question myself on the problems of infinity, locality and entanglement as well as the wave/particle duality and I will continue to thoroughly question any belief as a madman questioning the commands of the voices in his head.

Intellectual dispute is a good thing, provided we avoid killing each other in the process. But we must go on until we reach some positive result, otherwise it gets frustrating.

I'm glad you say "it is a good thing to doubt ones belief," but not entirely satisfied: one cannot doubt a belief as a belief since, if we take our beliefs as beliefs, we are already doubting them. What we doubt is knowledge, while turning it into a belief in the process. And the more science evolves, the more general and far-reaching is our doubt. Quoting Goethe:

Quote:
Only when we know little do we know anything; doubt grows with knowledge.

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 12:10 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
...it is non-deterministic regarding the event it predicts, and quantum equations produce probabilities...

You are utterly unable of any understanding...since has been pointed out to you for more the a dozen times that prediction concerns Knowledge not the thing in itself...which was the whole point on Truth and actuality on first place...

As for the mentioned "interference" it not concerns an interaction between superposition's with each other but the wave function effect itself...

...given you show incapacity to grow to the explanations that are in front of everyone who is able to read I leave you at rest...it was obviously a mistake to come back to this thread since actually no one is already debating it with you on account not of your nonsense but on the arrogance of repeating it over and again...

One is not guilty of not knowing, but guilty on not wanting to know !

No further>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
guigus

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 12:14 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You are utterly unable of any understanding...since has been pointed out to you for more the a dozen times that prediction concerns Knowledge not the thing in itself...which was the whole point on Truth and actuality on first place...

As for the mentioned "interference" it not concerns an interaction between superposition's with each other but the wave function effect itself...

...given you show incapacity to grow to the explanations that are in front of everyone who is able to read I leave you at rest...it was obviously a mistake to come back to this thread since actually no one is already debating it with you on account not of your nonsense but on the arrogance of repeating it over and again...

One is not guilty of not knowing, but guilty on not wanting to know !

No further>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

There is a thread here about "Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads?" (http://able2know.org/topic/160383-1). My guess is that sometimes what we believe to know is challenged and we don't like it much.