Legal Abuses in the Sniper Case

Tartarin

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:18 pm
Legally and ethically.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:16 pm
Where? That's the Code of Professional Responsibility I signed onto.

PS Choosing VA first doesn't matter too much, IMO. Fact is, VA has criminal claims against these defendants just as much as Maryland (and I think also DC) does. Death penalty or no death penalty, there's nothing wrong with venue in VA and the choice of which venue goes first is most likely going to end up immaterial here.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:56 pm
Good evening. I am a Virginian. I live about 40 miles from one of the sniper attacks and, towards the end, it seemed to be spreading. Some folks wouldn't admit it, but others did: we were scared.
When the gas was pumping into my van, I decided to sit on the ground and clean my rear license plate. This puppy survived VN by keeping his butt down and was determined not to die at a Kroger gas station.
I've made a few notes to comment on but they may now be too brief to jog my memory re what thay were about. But here goes:
Au1929 (NY) refers to "these animals." D'artagnan
(WA) mentions "fair trials."
The veridct in the VA Beach case is probably clear.
Convicted in Va, trials could well be held also in MD and DC.
fishin (MA) is certainly correct that this new VA law re what is terrorism will probably be challenged on constituional grounds And it will take years to resolve.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. For a brief time, residents in certain parts of VA, DC, and VA had the shiniest rear license plates of any place in the country! -rjb-
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:53 am
rjb, my brother and his family live right near where many of the attacks took place. My nephew's school was in lockdown for several days. 7-year-old children and their parents shouldn't be ducking around corners, watching their backs all the time, terrified that a trip to the ATM or a walk down the street, etc. will be the last thing they ever do. I'd say they were terrorized, and they will absolutely agree with me.
0 Replies