Double murder in small Maine town baffles authorities

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
(CNN) -- Webster Plantation is among the smallest communities in Maine, if not the country. With a population of about 80, the two-road town has fewer residents than a New York subway car during rush hour.

It's so tiny that Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine State Police, didn't even know it existed until a few days ago.

"Frankly, before Sunday, I've never heard of it," he said. "It's that remote, and it's that small."

That small-town ambiance was shattered last weekend when authorities discovered the bodies of a couple, who were known by many in the community.

An investigation is ongoing, and authorities say there are no suspects.

Situated near the center of the state, Webster Plantation is a throwback to a bygone era. Violent crime is rare in the rural farming area.

"This is one of those places where everybody left cars unlocked and keys in the vehicle," said Bob Jacobs, owner of the Millstream Grocery.

Police have released few details about the crime.

The victims, Valerie and Michael Miller, both 47, were discovered in their home Saturday afternoon, investigators said. McCausland said police are looking for a woman seen leaving the Millers' house on the day the bodies were found. They want to question her.

Investigators won't say how the couple died or anything about the crime scene. The Millers have two grown children who live nearby, but police haven't said whether either was in the home with the couple.

The husband and wife had lived in their Webster Plantation home for decades.

"They lived there as long as I can remember," said Theo Jipson, 81, whose house is a short walk from the couple's mobile home.

The killings, the town's first in at least 20 years, have shocked the region and shattered the area's sense of security and peace.

"You kind of wonder, 'Is it a threat to anybody else?' " Jacobs asked. "People are kind of nervous. Do I open the door for somebody, or do I not open the door for somebody?"

McCausland said the woman seen leaving the house was described as middle-aged, with a ponytail and glasses.

"We would like to find her and interview her," McCausland said. "We have appealed to the public for help. So far, we've had half a dozen calls. So far, she's still among the missing."

Authorities were summoned to the Miller home by a concerned neighbor. McCausland said she went to the house and saw something suspicious, but he won't say what that was. The neighbor called firefighters, who found the victims' bodies.

At first, it was believed that the couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning, McCausland said. However, autopsies performed by the medical examiner confirmed that they were the victims of a homicide, he added.

McCausland refused to comment on the cause of death.

"Not getting into speculation, and we're releasing very few details about this case," he said. "We're still investigating."

Jipson, who said she was the town's tax collector for more than 50 years, fondly remembered the couple.

"They were nice people," she said. "I would usually see her at the grocery store shopping. ... He was very, very kind. He always said, 'Look, if you folks need any help, don't be afraid to call me.' "

Jacobs, who runs a nearby convenience store, said he would occasionally see the Millers.

"It's something that catches you by surprise," he said of the killings. "You have the grapevine, and there are all these rumors going around, and people are nervous.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/03/maine.slain/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 6,428 • Replies: 39

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:08 pm
weird, interesting to watch the developments
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:12 pm
@djjd62,
Thx for responding, dj. I want to keep this topic up high until something breaks...maybe.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
People in Maine are easily baffled.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:53 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

(CNN) --
Police have released few details about the crime.
Investigators won't say how the couple died or anything about the crime scene.
McCausland said she went to the house and saw something suspicious, but he won't say what that was.
McCausland refused to comment on the cause of death.
"Not getting into speculation, and we're releasing very few details about this case," he said. "We're still investigating."

It's like a murder mystery where they don't give you any clues. Kinda hard to get into that.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:10 am
@rosborne979,
I agree, Ros. It's partly what makes it so interesting to me. WHY are the authorities so closed-mouthed about this? What's going on? They can't keep the lid on forever.
Sglass

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
I think there is something sinister afoot Sherlock.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:38 am
@Merry Andrew,
HMM, theres A Webster, which is up in the Bangor/Orono area (and within a suburban stretch) and a Webster Point, down near the area near BATH. That one appears to be a small crossroad type settlement .

MA, do you know which County this WEbster Plantation is in?
It sounds like the plot of a Jessie Stone Mystery. (cept he was in Mass I think)
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:41 am
@roger,
you can't get there from here.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:49 am
@Merry Andrew,
Wow, I found it, Its in the area around Lincoln and Springfield, (located on Rt 6 ). All this is in the Area East S E of Millinocket. It is a very rural area. Theres an antique shop in Lincoln that I frequent and these people keep a woodstove blazing in AUgust. Its a damp cold area because it sits up on the "Airline ridge" of central Maine.

Lotsa people have these trailers on lots along the orads and they face back to these thousands of acres of wilderness where probably other, weirder people live in pwerfect seclusion separate from society. I knmow in the Lincoln area a few years ago there was some "Woods family" that was stealing veggies from peoples gardens and then secreting them back to their homestead.

Maine is actually another planet.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:56 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
I agree, Ros. It's partly what makes it so interesting to me. WHY are the authorities so closed-mouthed about this? What's going on? They can't keep the lid on forever.

They probably want to see who knows the details without being told, since that might give them a suspect. Unfortunately it means that the peanut gallery (us) can't really get into the game.
0 Replies

newenglandgirl

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:10 pm
@farmerman,

Webster Plantation is in Penobscot County. It is about 60 miles northeast of Bangor. On your map, find Lincoln, ME and follow rt 6 to Springfield, ME.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:50 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Maine is actually another planet.

This I've been aware of for some time now, fm. But in many ways it's a state of mind.
0 Replies

backwoods1

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:56 am
@rosborne979,
The bodies were easily visible, if they opened the door. They were lying in teh middle of teh kitchen immidiately as you open teh door. It was originally suspected as carbon monoxide poisoning, so we (the Lee fire dept.) were called in to check, and found no high readings at all. The general concencious, though the police arent saying, is that they were shot with a small caliber weapon, .22 or similar, with two shots into mikes back, and one through valeries head. Myself, and the rest of the extended family just want some answers so that maybe we can have some closure, and close this dark chapter, in all of our lives.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:10 am
@backwoods1,
Hello, backwoods, and welcome to a2k. I urge you, we urge you, to just tell the police what you know, or if you don't want to, to be quiet, and contact an attorney of good repute.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:17 am
@backwoods1,
This is horrible, backwoods. I am very sorry to your family.
backwoods1

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:55 am
@ossobuco,
the annoying thing is it is getting so damn difficult to sort rumors from fact, there son was arrested last night, apperantly not in connection with the murders, but for a warrant of some kind, but out here in the stixz, it took all of 10 miniutes for us to get ten phone calls saying that matt was the murderer. Moral of the story is i guess that the police need to tell us something, so this drama and sea of accusations (most of which are probablly misguided) will finally wane.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:16 am
@backwoods1,
So Matt needs a lawyer for sure to protect himself.

We certainly don't know from here.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@backwoods1,
backwoods1 wrote:
The bodies were easily visible, if they opened the door. They were lying in teh middle of teh kitchen immidiately as you open teh door. It was originally suspected as carbon monoxide poisoning, so we (the Lee fire dept.) were called in to check, and found no high readings at all. The general concencious, though the police arent saying, is that they were shot with a small caliber weapon, .22 or similar, with two shots into mikes back, and one through valeries head.

Hi Backwoods. Welcome to A2K.

I don't understand why anyone would have the fire department check for carbon monoxide in the home if the bodies had bullet holes in them (sorry for your loss by the way).

Who was first on scene, the Fire Department or the Police or a neighbor? I would think they would check the bodies first and if it was gunshots the cause of death would be pretty obvious.
backwoods1

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
@rosborne979,
there was no visible trauma on the bodies, the way they were laying didnt grant us any view of that, the neighbor arrived first, then called 911, we arrived after the ambulance from PVH (penobscot valley hospital) pronounced them on teh scene. the scene was suspicious to say the least.