morals and ethics, how are they different?

Fido

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I do not believe in absolute truths Fido! I am blinded by my ignorance and I have to keep reminding myself that I do not know things as well as they could be known. I did ask a question of you and I was hoping for an answer from you, I know that you owe me nothing and the only thing that I have to offer in return is my gratitude. Thank you for sharing all that you have though.

I like you... But if I offer to share a condom with you; don't bend over...
Fido

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:14 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

If we admit to the existence of morals and/or ethics we then must give credence in the superlatives of wrong and right... Can wrong and right be as easy as black and white or is it the depth and perspective that makes it gray?

What is the meaning of love?

Right and wrong are as easy as near and far... The more near a person is to you genetically and culturally the better they are, and the more you may be inclined to think of them as a friend...I think there is an anthropology book by that title, the near and the far...
RexRed

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

RexRed wrote:

If we admit to the existence of morals and/or ethics we then must give credence in the superlatives of wrong and right... Can wrong and right be as easy as black and white or is it the depth and perspective that makes it gray?

What is the meaning of love?

Right and wrong are as easy as near and far... The more near a person is to you genetically and culturally the better they are, and the more you may be inclined to think of them as a friend...I think there is an anthropology book by that title, the near and the far...

Genetics does play a relative part in all of this but i got to get to know you and the condom thing.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:05 pm
Link: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_our_buggy_moral_code.html
RexRed

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:12 am
@Fil Albuquerque,

That was qualitative...
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:51 am
@RexRed,
...as I said earlier, a bit more down to earth can only help to throw some clarity in this mess... Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:26 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

I do not believe in absolute truths Fido! I am blinded by my ignorance and I have to keep reminding myself that I do not know things as well as they could be known. I did ask a question of you and I was hoping for an answer from you, I know that you owe me nothing and the only thing that I have to offer in return is my gratitude. Thank you for sharing all that you have though.

Like I said Fido the only thing I had to offer was my gratitude, I did not say anything about a hershey highway being included!
By the way my neurology and psychology[ heterosexual] does not allow me to find pleasure in your offer, now there may be others here that find your offer rather interesting and I have no problem with that, as long as you are happy with that sort of stuff. I will be happy for the two of you!
reasoning logic

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,

Thank you for sharing

Very nice this is the kind of info that I am looking for. Hint, Hint, Fido
0 Replies

Fido

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Fido wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

Like I said Fido the only thing I had to offer was my gratitude, I did not say anything about a hershey highway being included!
By the way my neurology and psychology[ heterosexual] does not allow me to find pleasure in your offer, now there may be others here that find your offer rather interesting and I have no problem with that, as long as you are happy with that sort of stuff. I will be happy for the two of you!

What does your humorology have to say in the matter??? I told my wife the one before we went camping asking: If you went camping with a guy and woke up with a condom hanging out of your butt would you tell anyone???... If the answer is no, you ask: Want to go camping???
She had to tell all her friends...
reasoning logic

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:18 pm
@Fido,
Yes I do have to say I liked that one also when I was younger I used it a few times myself years ago, I still find it some what humorous even today 20 + years later
0 Replies

Tifinden

Fri 13 May, 2011 01:37 pm
@existential potential,
Well, in my opinion, I find that ethics and morals are two denominational structures which are an amalgamation of the various elements which constitute the other. In short, your morals soon become your ethics, and your ethics may experience such metamorphosis as well. In addition, I believe that moral structure is one superiod element which is endowed in all humans, which causes to raise us in emminence above the inferiority of beasts of our world. Our moral definition is that which contributes pertinently and noticeably to the development, and conducive thriving of our sentient atmosphere, and, as well, ethics are a mental ability to distinguish and lead to prerogatives regarding what will serve to better manifest our sculptural being. When in the presence and guidance of ethics, we may stray from paths which, in hindsight, will indellibly mar our psyche and taint our personal perception, and wrought upon our dimensionality that for which we will be forever sorrowful, regretful, and remorseful. Cheers!- hope this perspective aids in your understanding- and one more suggestion; If you wish to learn of your personal and true potential for comprehension and retention of these two elements, you may want to read, Rene Descartes, A Discourse on Method, in which he divulges a preliminary portion of his method which involves stripping human knowledge down to its nude form, leaving ones own opinions to the utmost dilligent and scrupulous scrutiny, and then to begin anew, formulating opion, and thereby knowledge, based on attempting to understand the proportional relation and interconnectivity of morals and ethics, as they relate to nearly all other elements in the Earth, and thereby you may find enlightenment. Or, you could go into meditation in some serene and ostensibly sacred and venerable sector of worldly place, attempt to achieve enlightenment etc; Finally, please excuse the extensive length and extraneous elaboration, you must remember, a quote from Descartes, not exactly however, "do not attempt to rebuild your foundation upon the ruin of previous society's, wherein you will find failure and deformaties and eventually, deterioration. Rebuild, with newly developed architecture, and you will be successful"- (In fact, the thematic substance is correct, but the wording isn't at all reminsicent of the eminence of Descartes- but it is useful to cogitate about)
Fido

Sun 15 May, 2011 05:13 pm
@Tifinden,
Tifinden wrote:

Well, in my opinion, I find that ethics and morals are two denominational structures which are an amalgamation of the various elements which constitute the other. In short, your morals soon become your ethics, and your ethics may experience such metamorphosis as well. In addition, I believe that moral structure is one superiod element which is endowed in all humans, which causes to raise us in emminence above the inferiority of beasts of our world. Our moral definition is that which contributes pertinently and noticeably to the development, and conducive thriving of our sentient atmosphere, and, as well, ethics are a mental ability to distinguish and lead to prerogatives regarding what will serve to better manifest our sculptural being. When in the presence and guidance of ethics, we may stray from paths which, in hindsight, will indellibly mar our psyche and taint our personal perception, and wrought upon our dimensionality that for which we will be forever sorrowful, regretful, and remorseful. Cheers!- hope this perspective aids in your understanding- and one more suggestion; If you wish to learn of your personal and true potential for comprehension and retention of these two elements, you may want to read, Rene Descartes, A Discourse on Method, in which he divulges a preliminary portion of his method which involves stripping human knowledge down to its nude form, leaving ones own opinions to the utmost dilligent and scrupulous scrutiny, and then to begin anew, formulating opion, and thereby knowledge, based on attempting to understand the proportional relation and interconnectivity of morals and ethics, as they relate to nearly all other elements in the Earth, and thereby you may find enlightenment. Or, you could go into meditation in some serene and ostensibly sacred and venerable sector of worldly place, attempt to achieve enlightenment etc; Finally, please excuse the extensive length and extraneous elaboration, you must remember, a quote from Descartes, not exactly however, "do not attempt to rebuild your foundation upon the ruin of previous society's, wherein you will find failure and deformaties and eventually, deterioration. Rebuild, with newly developed architecture, and you will be successful"- (In fact, the thematic substance is correct, but the wording isn't at all reminsicent of the eminence of Descartes- but it is useful to cogitate about)
Finally some one who makes philosophy less interesting than a motor manual to a blind man...What you need to do is cut three words out of every page in a dictionary, and combine them in some sentence structure as though they are supposed to have meaning... When you are done, I will grade you and give you a W,T, and F...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 16 May, 2011 03:04 pm
My usage differs from Fil Albuquerque's. I see morals as universal rules, highly instutionalized as in the tablets of Moses or the precepts of the Koran. And I see ethics as the actual process of sizing up situations and making contextually appropriate ethical determinations.
Question: Why in the world would one of our members adopt the A2K handle, Deepthroat?
plainoldme

Mon 16 May, 2011 03:25 pm
@JLNobody,
Your distinction is close to mine but in different words.
JLNobody

Mon 16 May, 2011 06:09 pm
@plainoldme,
What words?
plainoldme

Mon 16 May, 2011 07:09 pm
@JLNobody,
I define morals as the untested, inherited and unexamined societal standards for defining good and evil. Ethics are the result of taking the inherited standards, the morals of our society, and examining them, understanding how they work and when, how and why to apply them based on reasoning.
JLNobody

Mon 16 May, 2011 07:55 pm
@plainoldme,
Ah, well put and thought.
plainoldme

Mon 16 May, 2011 08:01 pm
@JLNobody,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Fido

Tue 17 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

My usage differs from Fil Albuquerque's. I see morals as universal rules, highly instutionalized as in the tablets of Moses or the precepts of the Koran. And I see ethics as the actual process of sizing up situations and making contextually appropriate ethical determinations.
Question: Why in the world would one of our members adopt the A2K handle, Deepthroat?
You are confusing moral forms which are spiritual qualities with laws which are social forms... Laws are the social forms people try to give to their morals, but they always fail because morals are positive and laws are negative... We know what to do because we are moral, that is: How to behave... Laws tell us thou shall not, but since all behavior cannot be prohibited without injury to society, what is not prohibited is allowed and even to a cert ain extent encouraged since to the weak of mind, law and morals are one... In fact Morals and Ethics is what we are, and laws are but one expression of our moral feeling, and one that in time can come to support more immorality than it discourages...
JLNobody

Tue 17 May, 2011 05:36 pm
@Fido,
Fido, I am aware that "norms" (both in their prescriptive and proscriptive forms) may be either spiritual or secular in nature, but my stress was on the universal normative properties of morals. Proscriptive tabus come to mind when I think of morals and prescriptive ideals come to mind when I think of ethics. The most common confusion "of the weak of mind (?)" is that between moral laws, secular statutes and the laws (regularities) of nature.