morals and ethics, how are they different?

popeye1945

Tue 26 Jan, 2021 09:52 pm
Morals and ethics are if indeed different, are categories of biological extensions of the human psyche, and in a sense reflect back upon the bilogy that created them, expressions of the nature of being human.
0 Replies

intrTek-Alan

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 03:21 pm
@existential potential,

A history teacher in college, with eleven years tenure, told the class the two are actually reversed; ethics being religious, and morals being about procedure or what is acceptable in society.

I disagreed...
izzythepush

Thu 1 Apr, 2021 07:43 am
@intrTek-Alan,
Well that was worth waiting eleven years for.
intrTek-Alan

Thu 1 Apr, 2021 04:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Well that was worth waiting eleven years for.

The teacher’s brief explanation, basis for such wisdom, fell on a deaf classroom as everyone sat dumbfounded by the initial declaration. This person expected us to believe the meanings are actually, in real life, seriously serious, the opposite of what the world had understood for centuries... By the end of that semester, I realized my choice of which University was in error.

I suggest we be wary of such word smudgings. This current culture of lies and denial includes the custom redefining (cancellation?) of words. Although somewhat subtle, the two words do indeed have different meanings; different applications.

I believe this is historically correct:

morals = what is ideal on a spiritual level
ethics = practical, functional in society, cross-cultural
farmerman

Thu 1 Apr, 2021 05:25 pm
@intrTek-Alan,
Its like climate and weather

intrTek-Alan

Thu 1 Apr, 2021 09:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Its like climate and weather

I do agree. Climate would be rain forest, while weather would be precipitation and perhaps how much. Both words are in the same neighborhood but are significantly different.

To offer a distinction between ethics and morals... One might argue abortion is immoral, and they might be right, but should that issue be addressed ethically instead. Humans might not be able to ponder morality in such an absolute way, let alone impose it upon others.

Ethical does not necessarily equate to moral.
0 Replies

intrTek-Alan

Sat 3 Apr, 2021 01:42 pm
Some speculation...

Conservatism could be trying to say any ethical decision must also be a moral one because ethical means moral.

Liberalism might be trying to reverse the two meanings. Your so called morals have never been more than agreed upon ethics, and the ethical choices we already, currently, follow are moral.
0 Replies

Jedothek

Sat 21 Jan, 2023 07:31 am
@existential potential,
Ethics is a branch of philosophy: accordingly it uses reason as its tool to decide what ought to happen. A society's set of morals is typically inherited and may be purely dogmatic , making no reference to a rational process.
0 Replies

hydrathematrixrunner

Tue 27 Jun, 2023 12:11 pm
@existential potential,
Good question - morals and ethics are definitely related, but the differences between them can be pretty subtle. Morals are basically values or principles that guide the way someone lives their life, whereas ethics are more about the moral principles that guide a specific field of study or profession. To sum it up, morals are values, and ethics are the rules that come from those values.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 2 Jul, 2023 07:11 am
@hydrathematrixrunner,
Ethics are tactical and morals are strategic.
Frank Apisa

Tue 4 Jul, 2023 11:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Ethics are tactical and morals are strategic.

Most people who lack one, to whatever degree, lack the other to the same degree.

Or at least it seems that way.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 4 Jul, 2023 04:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hard to hold to one without having the other.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Tue 4 Jul, 2023 09:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Very true...but understanding Ethics deeply is far harder then understanding Moral.

If human beings fully understood Ethics 99% of our problems would be solved by now...
bobsal u1553115

Tue 4 Jul, 2023 09:15 pm
@Albuquerque,
Once again, you got it backwards.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Wed 5 Jul, 2023 02:39 am
@existential potential,
Morals and ethics are related to good and bad and whether there is difference.The formula for all sciences is +/-=+/- .The formula for all the sciences is not +=-…..-=+ which has been definitively confirmed because the equal but opposite electromagnetic forces in nature do not cancel out.They vibratory balance.Science claims incorrectly that these opposite forces of nature do cancel.
izzythepush

Wed 5 Jul, 2023 04:31 am
@Jasper10,
You understand nothing.

Your brain isn't working.
Jasper10

Wed 5 Jul, 2023 05:01 am
@izzythepush,
I understand Izzy.My brain is functioning perfectly.You are just not used to hearing truth.You prefer nonsense.That’s up to you.
0 Replies