25

morals and ethics, how are they different?

popeye1945

1  
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 09:52 pm
Morals and ethics are if indeed different, are categories of biological extensions of the human psyche, and in a sense reflect back upon the bilogy that created them, expressions of the nature of being human.

intrTek-Alan

0  
Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 03:21 pm
@existential potential,

A history teacher in college, with eleven years tenure, told the class the two are actually reversed; ethics being religious, and morals being about procedure or what is acceptable in society.

I disagreed...

1  
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 07:43 am
@intrTek-Alan,
Well that was worth waiting eleven years for.
intrTek-Alan

1  
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 04:10 pm
izzythepush wrote:

The teacher’s brief explanation, basis for such wisdom, fell on a deaf classroom as everyone sat dumbfounded by the initial declaration. This person expected us to believe the meanings are actually, in real life, seriously serious, the opposite of what the world had understood for centuries... By the end of that semester, I realized my choice of which University was in error.

I suggest we be wary of such word smudgings. This current culture of lies and denial includes the custom redefining (cancellation?) of words. Although somewhat subtle, the two words do indeed have different meanings; different applications.

I believe this is historically correct:

morals = what is ideal on a spiritual level
ethics = practical, functional in society, cross-cultural

1  
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 05:25 pm
@intrTek-Alan,
Its like climate and weather

intrTek-Alan

1  
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 09:37 pm
farmerman wrote:
Its like climate and weather

I do agree. Climate would be rain forest, while weather would be precipitation and perhaps how much. Both words are in the same neighborhood but are significantly different.

To offer a distinction between ethics and morals... One might argue abortion is immoral, and they might be right, but should that issue be addressed ethically instead. Humans might not be able to ponder morality in such an absolute way, let alone impose it upon others.

Ethical does not necessarily equate to moral.

intrTek-Alan

1  
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2021 01:42 pm
Some speculation...

Conservatism could be trying to say any ethical decision must also be a moral one because ethical means moral.

Liberalism might be trying to reverse the two meanings. Your so called morals have never been more than agreed upon ethics, and the ethical choices we already, currently, follow are moral.