Student Who Breached Airport Security To Be Charged

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:35 pm
No, it was in 1968. Recently a guy got on with a knife and tried but was foiled by security on the plane. But it still illustrates that getting a weapon on the plane is possible, even under the world's best security.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:29 pm
I actually remember kind of hearing something about that, but I've forgotten. I'm seriously curious about how they did it, if you know.

I agree with you though, definitly - even with America's aweful foreign relations, airline security could have prevented 9/11, or at least that attempt at a suicide mission.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:35 pm
Craven, I also read someplace not too long ago that not all containers that come into this country are x-rayed. But as you say, there are always ways to get stuff in with or without x-rays - as contraband gets onto airplanes after they go through "security."
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:09 am
Re: Student Who Breached Airport Security To Be Charged
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Link to Student Who Breached Airport Security

A student brought box cutters, bleach and clay made to resemble plastic explosives on a plane. He informed officials, including giving his name and address, to make the point that there were holes in airport security. It took five weeks to find the items.

Now he is being charged with a federal offense, and could get up to 10 years in prison.

What do you think about this? Should he be charged with a crime?

Well, maybe he should not be charged with attempt of committing a terror attack, since the items he brought on board were not actual explosives, but he surely must bear burden of responsibility for disorganization of the flight security service. In these terms the civil lawsuit seems more applicable: he should compensate damages and be very seriously fined.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:24 am
yep, kill the messenger. We get more like Rome every day. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:30 am
To Bi-Polar Bear[/color]: I do not claim that the alertness checks are unnecessary, but these are to be performed by authorized personnel. Initiatives of plain people may disorganize work of major airports and cause serious damage.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:32 am
in order to disorganize in place security programs there would have to actually be some wouldn't there?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:34 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
in order to disorganize in place security programs there would have to actually be some wouldn't there?

Sorry, your question is somewhat unclear...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:44 am
Oh, sorry, now I got it. Do you want to say that there are no security checks of passengers of the domestic and international flights? It sounds weird. After 09/11 there were many materials in media and even on the different forums regarding discontent of passengers being checked, and about applicability of the so-called racial profiling (this is an incorrect term, since majority of Muslims are White) as a criterion demanding the thorough check...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
Heya steissd! Long time no see.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:37 am
i don't think he should be punished.
0 Replies

Chucara

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:52 am
He does most certainly need some mild sentence.. No reason to ruin his life over this, but I think it was very stupid of him to do this..

What if the security officers had indeed discovered what he was carrying and had evacuated the airport.. That would have been a very costly affair.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:54 am
this thread was started in October. Has there been any outcome yet?
0 Replies

Zar

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm
Heatwole was charged in federal court with taking a dangerous item on board an aircraft, a felony that carries a potential 10-year prison term. He was released without bail, returned to classes at Guilford College, in Greensboro, N.C., and is awaiting further hearings.

http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/02/19/4034687a96ec3
0 Replies