"Dog Whispering" as a parenting style?

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:58 am
@CalamityJane,
That's awesome - I'll try that pinch on the neck next time they get atta line.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
I don't know I tried the dog whisper thing and now my children go outside to go potty - says on water costs and TP.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:26 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Seriously, watching The World's Strictest Parents is like watching a modern kid lbeing sent off to spend a week with with Andy Griffith and Helen Crump.

You think THAT's strict? Confused
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That's awesome - I'll try that pinch on the neck next time they get atta line.

It doesn't work, Linkat - neither the child nor the dog will respond to it.
I shall call Ceser to come to my house and straighten them both out. Wink
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah, but it would be fun - just to see their response.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I love it when my daughter tells me I am mean - my answer yep I'm mean.
Sometimes as a parent you have to be mean.
Its a bad situation if u need to repair it by being mean.
George

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I think most of the "Dog Whisperer" methods aren't even an appropriate way to train dogs, much less humans.

because . . .
dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"meanness" is mostly a matter of perspective.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:18 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

"meanness" is mostly a matter of perspective.
Yeah; perspective is IMPORTANT in meaness.

I remember Alfred Hitchcock Presents, on Sunday nites,
wherein he exhibited his collection of medieval weapons.
He showed his battleax, and described it as operated by 2 people
and 50% painless. He pointed to its handle saying: "the one on THIS end doesn 't feel a thing." Q.E.D. Perspective
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:56 pm
@dyslexia,
Exactly - my "meaness" is when I don't allow her to do something she wants to do - usually it is in her best interest for me not to allow her.

For example - I would not allow my 7 year old to drive that car - that could generate a mommy you are mean statement.

But perhaps David feels that a 7 year old should be able to drive (ya never know)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Exactly - my "meaness" is when I don't allow her to do something she wants to do -
usually it is in her best interest for me not to allow her.

For example - I would not allow my 7 year old to drive that car -
that could generate a mommy you are mean statement.

But perhaps David feels that a 7 year old should be able to drive (ya never know)
I do not know what your child is capabe of doing;
I have never administered a driving test to her,
nor has she had the chance to practice for the test
that I have never given her.

Presumably, it is against the law of your state
(whichever state that is) for her to drive unlicensed on public roads.

HOWEVER, of whatever interest it may be, for what its worth:
I HAVE heard of children on farms being COMPELLED by their parents
to put in a good day 's work operating agricultural machinery, including tractors, on their farms (private land).

Sincerely, I have no information as to the ages of those children.
My impression was below age 10.
I am no expert on that.

David
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 02:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How did I know he would answer this way - which is why I wrote that "perhaps David feels that a 7 year old should be able to drive".

Well then I am a mean sum of a bitch and damn proud of it!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

How did I know he would answer this way -
which is why I wrote that "perhaps David feels that a 7 year old should be able to drive".

Well then I am a mean sum of a bitch and damn proud of it!
I am completely confident that canine elements
are 100% ALIEN to your mother 's heritage and she has no taint.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
A couple of random thoughts from when I was out doing thanksgiving shopping:

1.) Sozlet is bored bored bored grocery shopping UNLESS I give her tasks, then she perks right up. "Go get three oranges," "read the list and see if we have everything," etc. Just reminded me of the "jobs" observation from boomer, I agree.

2.) At the most fundamental level, dog training is about being the pack leader -- forever. Whereas with kid training, you're the pack leader for maybe 1/4 of the person's life, or less, depending on how you count life expectancy and at what point you leave off being the pack leader (13? 18? 21?). You need to train your kids how to live when you're NOT around to be the pack leader. Dogs don't need that -- they're dependent on you for their entire lives.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 04:17 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
I think most of the "Dog Whisperer" methods aren't even an appropriate way to train dogs, much less humans.

because . . .

I think he's a hack entertainer with no actual study of what he does who just spouts soundbites. Consequently he relies far too much on pointless aggression with dogs and perpetuates myths about dog training. Things like using choke collars with a frequency that is more likely to teach the dog "learned helplessness" than connect the punishment to the behavior he's trying to correct.

American Humane Association - 'Dog Whisperer' Training Approach More Harmful Than Helpful

In Millan's world, every behavior problem is addressed in terms of dominance and submission....

Quote:
Nicolas Dodman, director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts University 's Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, observed, "My College thinks it is a travesty. We've written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years."

I don't object to many of the "aggressive" techniques but I think he goes overboard with it, and every problem to him is one that is solved through showing the dog who is the "pack leader" and trying to "dominate" it. It's not very scientific, it's just dumb machismo.
tenderfoot

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 04:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Nicolas Dodman, director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts University 's Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, observed, "My College thinks it is a travesty. We've written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years." --- WHERE IT BELONGS.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 04:59 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

2.) At the most fundamental level, dog training is about being the pack leader -- forever. Whereas with kid training, you're the pack leader for maybe 1/4 of the person's life, or less, depending on how you count life expectancy and at what point you leave off being the pack leader (13? 18? 21?). You need to train your kids how to live when you're NOT around to be the pack leader. Dogs don't need that -- they're dependent on you for their entire lives.

That's what I was getting at about the transition from non alpha dog (child) to competence as your own adult person. I've observed friends or family having a lot of trouble with that, as alpha dog mothers or fathers who carry that on past when I think it should be - not that I've instructed them on child raising, nope, just that I've seen the transition be difficult.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:09 pm
I have watched the dog whisper many time, never once did I see him do anything other than train the owners to become the pack leader. I have 3 sons -- My wife and I have been their pack leaders and would say we still are -- even though we have long since retired and they still run the very successful business I started when they were in their teens. Unfortunately they were never pack leaders to our grandchildren . We hardly ever see our kids unless they have a big problem --- same for the grandchildren. I feel that teaching by action, only works when one can see that the way you approach that way of life works. None of my boys or their wives could grasp the knowledge that being in control is by far better than not controlling.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:26 pm
@sozobe,
As a child, i had jobs which were "real" job (i'm not belittling the tasks you give the Sozlet, but i'm referring to regularly recurring tasks). There was no permanent press, so that from age six, we were obliged to do our own ironing. We had additional tasks, such as taking out the rubbish, and burning the trash (two different categories in those days when people in the country routinely burned that portion of their garbage which was flammable); weeding the garden, mowing the lawn, edging the sidewalks, full participation in gathering, processing and canning fruits and vegetables. You really didn't want to tell my grandmother that you were bored. She had two stock answers: "I can find a job for your," or "Go read a book." In the latter case, you had to report what you had read, and what it meant to you.

None of this is to say that there wasn't the urge to complain that one was bored, but we always knew that was not a good idea. And, what with regular chores and homework, we really didn't have a lot times when we were bored.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:29 pm
@tenderfoot,
I've not seen this strict parents show to which Boom refers, but i have seen episodes of Nanny 911, which is essentially the same thing. The programs usually devolve to teaching parents to be parents, to assume responsibility.

We live in a different world than that of the 1950s when i grew up--and i'm not prepared to say that it was a better world in terms of the relationship of parents to children.
0 Replies