further elections not needed

wolf

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:40 pm
bump
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:45 pm
It's kind of pointless, BrandX--Wolf knows all the answers, and can undoubtedly tell us how he will smite the dragons of the auto and gasoline industries in order to turn the world upside down in a few years to accomplish his agenda. He's not overly fond of giving up an idea, when once he's gotten a hold on it. Rather like a puppy with a stick. He hasn't accumulated sufficient wisdom or experience of life to understand that ranting on a subject, and throwing accusations at others of negligence or ignorance accomplish nothing, apart from making others unwilling to listen. Some day, when he's grown up, he'll realize that things are never as simple as he makes them out to be.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:46 pm
Thanks to you, I indeed did some more homework, Setanta, and the results took my breath away (sic).

Quote:

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
DIRECTORATE-GENERAL
ENVIRONMENT
March (2003)
(...)
At the present levels of PM (particulate matter) in Europe the most significant effects are increased mortality and increased morbidity such as increased frequency of hospital admissions for cardiopulmonary disease. There is no apparent threshold for the health effects due to exposure to PM. Therefore no safe level may be defined for which there are no effects. WHO2 estimated that the increased mortality due to PM in outdoor air to be about 100,000 annually in Europe. Part of the increased mortality is due to short-term exposure to high PM levels advancing death in severely sick, weak or elderly people. But the major part of the increased mortality may be due to long-term exposure to PM thereby reducing life expectancy significantly.

The reduction of life expectancy due to exposure to outdoor PM can reach up to a few years in the more polluted areas of Europe.

The levels of PM exposing humans depend on location, climate, weather and time of the year. In many European cities the levels of PM10 are above the EU limit values of 40 ug/m3 as annual average and 50 µg/m3 as daily mean, both of which to be met in 2005. Also outside urban areas the levels are high due to long distance transport of primary particles and the formation of secondary particles derived from gaseous precursor pollutants such as sulphur dioxide, ammonia and nitrogen oxides. A number of sources contributes to the airborne primary and secondary PM. The relative contributions to anthropogenic PM-emissions by sectors for 1999 in the EU were: road transport 28 percent, energy industry 24 percent, industry energy use 14 percent, agriculture 13 percent, other transport emissions 11 percent and other 10 percent.

Now I'd be curious for results from the United States, the land with more cars than drivers.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
wolf wrote:
200 years, you say? That's precisely what worries me. I'd like my children growing up in a healthy environment starting now. There's no reason not to, except for that horrendous cynicism so many obey to.

I appreciate your concerns for the environment, your children, and even perfection in voting. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
It's kind of pointless, BrandX--Wolf knows all the answers, and can undoubtedly tell us how he will smite the dragons of the auto and gasoline industries in order to turn the world upside down in a few years to accomplish his agenda. He's not overly fond of giving up an idea, when once he's gotten a hold on it. Rather like a puppy with a stick. He hasn't accumulated sufficient wisdom or experience of life to understand that ranting on a subject, and throwing accusations at others of negligence or ignorance accomplish nothing, apart from making others unwilling to listen. Some day, when he's grown up, he'll realize that things are never as simple as he makes them out to be.

What a well written, drawn out insult. Nice. Once again, you have proven that you can add almost nothing but negativity to a thread, Setanata.

Wolf, I can drive 20 minutes and be surrounded by forest. That is a luxury we have in the US. We may have more autos than people, but we also have a very low person to acre ratio.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:57 pm
Indeed, Mcgentrix, that's what I thought. European urbanism is horribly densely populated -- narrow streets tailored to 19th century infrastructure, now riddled with cars and pollution. The numbers are staggering: up to a 100 000 annual deaths by air pollution. I myself have always had quite fragile lungs, and find it sometimes a suffocating experience here in Europe's heartland. That's why I get itchy when I see someone using a bloody car as a bloody avatar.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:11 pm
Oh, poor baby. I'm so sorry to have offended you. Also, being an American, I really don't get offended by the term "bloody". To me, it goes very well with the "whack 'em and stack 'em" epitat I put out there earlier. I love animals, they look great on the plate next to the mashed potatoes.

By the way Wolfie, there's no reason "bump" on this forum, it serves little purpose as compared to some older BB sites.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:32 pm
I absolutely despise your avatar, cjhsa, it is so disgusting. Have you no shame?

Oh, wait a minute, you're the one with the car, right?

Never mind . . .

(Wolf has frequently insulted the dogs i use in my avatar--silly boy, ain't he?)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:34 pm
talk about disgusting avatars, has anyone seen mine?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:35 pm
Please, Dys, i'm trying to eat my lunch . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:41 pm
I'm not the poor baby, cjsshjajsja.

Others are:

Pollution particles found to have large impact on infant health

Still no qualms whatsoever on the avatar?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:45 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 02:31 pm
If there was truly a desire by our government to control emissions they would have long ago changed the MPG requirements and placed restrictions on the gas guzzling SUV's. In addition hummers would never have been allowed. Along with freedom of choice there should also be laws regarding social responsibility.
Regarding elections, they will always be with us. The question is how meaningfull will they be. Specifically which set of phonies will be milking us?
0 Replies