further elections not needed

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 12:14 pm
Army Lt. General William G. "Jerry" Boykin, who Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had nominated the general for a third star and named him to a new position as deputy undersecretary of Defense for intelligence. He has praised the leadership of President Bush, whom he extolled as "a man who prays in the Oval Office." "George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States," Boykin told an Oregon congregation. "He was appointed by God." Boykin has made it clear that he takes his orders not from his Army superiors but from God -
In Iraq, he told the Oregon congregation, special operations forces were victorious precisely because of their faith in God. "Ladies and gentlemen . . . I want to impress upon you that the battle that we're in is a spiritual battle," he said . "Satan wants to destroy this nation, he wants to destroy us as a nation, and he wants to destroy us as a Christian army."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,479 • Replies: 52
No top replies

wolf

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:10 pm
It's good to see we're in safe hands. Crying or Very sad

Further elections indeed seem irrelevant -- since they are massively falsified at every opportunity through a corruptible voting system.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:24 pm
A Prediction
There will be a massive terrorist attack within the USA about a month before the 2004 election. The election will be postponed and the present Regime will stay in power for at least another year. Copy this and put it on a floppy of CDR and see if this preciction was correct. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:28 pm
I'll wait for CDK's prediction, thank you very much.

I see you've attracted a crowd here Dys. Better get your gasmask on.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:04 pm
Speaking of gas masks. Is that a zero ghg-emission vehicle in your avatar, or a polluting one? Did you know up to 30% of the planet's ghg artificial emissions comes from private transport? Did you know more people die of cancers caused by urban transport pollution than in car accidents?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
Re: A Prediction
pistoff wrote:
There will be a massive terrorist attack within the USA about a month before the 2004 election. The election will be postponed and the present Regime will stay in power for at least another year. Copy this and put it on a floppy of CDR and see if this preciction was correct. Evil or Very Mad

Seconded.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:13 pm
{shudder}
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 09:27 pm
LittleK:

I second your {shudder} !!!

DYS:

This is the kind of fanatical religious maniac that would start WWIII because "GOD" told him to!!

This nut belongs in a straight jacket, locked up in a padded cell somewhere!! I imagine this lunatic is already hearing voices!!

Anon
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:07 am
Re: A Prediction
pistoff wrote:

I made a similar prediction some weeks ago. Don't know the thread, there's been too many. But I think Americans should be very worried indeed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:09 am
Are there any people on this site who know enough about the US constitution to say whether it's possible for a US election to be postponed? And what the circumstances would need to be?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:14 am
Of course....
I sure do not wish any more attacks to happen. I hope I am 100% wrong.

I feel that there are more people that believe exactly as this loony general does, unfortunately. Sad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:42 am
Wilso wrote:
Are there any people on this site who know enough about the US constitution to say whether it's possible for a US election to be postponed? And what the circumstances would need to be?

http://www.law.yale.edu/outside/html/Public_Affairs/134/yls_article.htm

Interesting article and topic. Might be worth starting up a thread just for this issue.

Excerpts:

Think back for a moment to the reason Sept. 11 was a specially marked date on New Yorkers' calendars: It was a local election day, with contests that included the city's mayoral primary. As the horrific events unfolded, Gov. George Pataki understood that an orderly and democratically satisfactory election that day was impossible. State law allowed him to postpone the balloting. But current federal law does not permit a similar delay of congressional and presidential elections. The law mandates an election on the first Tuesday after Nov. 1, come hell or high water, terror or trauma.

So suppose that a major presidential or vice presidential candidate dies or is incapacitated shortly before Election Day. A patchwork of state laws governs ballot access and counting, and most states allow national parties to substitute new candidates. But in some situations, parties would lack time to deliberate and state officials would lack time to print revised ballots. Without some postponement, voters might not even know whom they were really voting for. If presidential candidate Smith died, would a vote for Smith be counted as a vote for his or her vice presidential running mate Jones, or for some player to be named later by a conclave of party bigwigs?

One option would be for federal law to move the federal Election Day to October, with provision for postponement in rare circumstances. This, of course, would widen the very gap between election and inauguration that the 20th Amendment sought to shrink. A better response would thus be to keep Election Day as is, but allow brief postponement in rare circumstances, with streamlined voting technology, statutes and court procedures to ensure enough time for proper counts and recounts.

The question remains of how--and by whom--a postponement should be triggered. Handing this power to the chief justice risks sucking the Supreme Court into partisan politics, the danger of which is well illustrated by last year's controversy surrounding Bush v. Gore. The current Federal Election Commission may likewise lack the necessary credibility and impartiality. One possibility would be to let each major party (defined as the top two vote-getters in the previous election) trigger a postponement upon request. Parties would hesitate to delay elections for frivolous or partisan reasons because the voters could immediately punish any postponements seen as gamesmanship.

A final issue is whether, in an emergency, to postpone all federal elections or simply the presidential one. Once again, a law could be drafted to specify the decision maker and vest that person with considerable discretion. Because federal law controls only federal elections, each state would decide whether to postpone elections for state officers so as to coordinate with the delayed federal election, or whether instead to hold two elections in short order for state and federal officers, respectively.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:51 am
GWB 2004: Four more wars!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:53 am
The national elections were neither postponed nor delayed in the midst of our civil war--i haven't the least doubt that any attempt to suspend elections here would sooner or later lead to armed insurrection. Then the question would be whether or not the Bushites could get the FBI, ATF, National Guard and Army to go out and put down the rebellion.

This thesis about another war and a suspension of the election is nonsense.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:59 am
So all you need worry about is a terrorist attack to provide ammo for Bush to further "protect" the country?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:15 am
Were such an event to occur, Bush could not more use it to justify suspending elections than he could a war in progress. Lincoln, Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt were all re-elected in time of war, and no attempt was made to suspend or otherwise tamper with the national election process, and in Lincoln's case, it was not at all certain that he would win. During our involvement in Vietnam, Kennedy was elected, Johnson succeeded him and was re-elected, Nixon was elected, then re-elected, then resigned and was succeeded by Ford. Never in our history has national crisis of any description even been suggested as a justification to tamper with the election process. It ain't gonna happen.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:30 am
I think the problem is bigger then just Bush and I think Congress and the Administration will be extremely negligent in their jobs if they haven't introduced and passed laws to cover the loophole in the Constitution and election laws before the next general presidential election.

The U.S. democratic process is vulnerable during the lame duck period after an election. If a candidate were to win the election and then be killed between the election date/electoral college vote and the swearing in ceremony, who would then be president and how would that be determined? Would it be the Vice President-elect?

Imagine the chaos that would be caused in the electoral process if a terrorist attack were to occur on election night at a candidate's celebration party, killing him or her.

If I am understanding that article correctly, those are just some of the gaps that need filling.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:46 am
I'm really dreading the next presidential election, I feel it will somewhat mirror the Calif. fiasco. Every aspect of the system will be scrutinized and the media is going to pump it up if for nothing else, ratings.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:52 am
good point, Boss . . . the media's scrutiny would make it damned hard to suspend the election, but would, of course, do nothing to prevent cheating or any other form of chicanery . . . we'll definitely have an election, but no assurance of an honest election . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:56 am
I agree with setanta that the election will proceed according to script. That Bush will try a feat designed to frighten voters into re-electing him also seems a probability. But, not a 911 type of thing.
0 Replies