Please help. "That" as a possessive?

dupre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 10:02 am
This just sounds wrong to me. Is it?

"Jim and Bob went out to the cabana, officialy beginning a night that's only certainty was that we wouldn't be sober."

The sentence is just awful. It's in a manuscript I'm proofing and in proofs changes are expensive, so I can't really fix it unless it is wrong and I must fix it with the least changes possible.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,845 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dduck

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
How about this one?

"Jim and Bob went out to the cabana, officialy beginning the night; the only certainty was they wouldn't be sober."

Iain
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:05 am
Howdy, dduck! Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you agree that "that" cannot be put in the possissive? I can't think of one case where that would work.

Welcome to able2know!!!!!
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:18 pm
Hi dupre,

This is a great site, I think I'm going to have a good time round these parts! Smile

I have to say, I've never seen used that used in this way before. Seems very odd to me.

Iain
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
Thanks for the confirmation. My mind was definitely swimming, and I just couldn't get a perspective on it.

I do hope you enjoy it here.

So ... are you a grammar buff? Or just real neighborly?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 09:22 pm
Similar suggestion to dduck's:

"Jim and Bob went out to the cabana, officially beginning a night that had only one certainty; we wouldn't be sober."

(Typo in "officially", too.)

Weird sentence. Confused
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:31 am
dupre wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. My mind was definitely swimming, and I just couldn't get a perspective on it.

I do hope you enjoy it here.

So ... are you a grammar buff? Or just real neighborly?

I'm a TEFL teacher, that is, I teach English as a foreign language. I've also studied French, Dutch, German, Spanish, before finally getting round to English grammar. Smile

Iain
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 10:10 am
sozobe, thanks. Great rewrite!

I'm not a very good typist, I hope that error was MINE and not in the MS I just sent back. LOL!

dduck, What's TEFL? Anything like ESL?

Yes, my appreciation of English came through studying other languages, too. Is it true that German is our sister language? Why is that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
I just realized that "Jim and Bob" and "we" don't agree -- it should be "Jim and Bob" and "they" or "Bob and I" and "we". (Or "me and Bob".)

As in:

"Jim and Bob went out to the cabana, officially beginning a night that had only one certainty; they wouldn't be sober."
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:08 pm
That in this case refers to the night. So yes, that's correct, since you could say "the night's only certainty". It's just not stylistically recommended.
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:28 pm
rufio wrote:
That in this case refers to the night. So yes, that's correct, since you could say "the night's only certainty". It's just not stylistically recommended.

According to Bartleby, absolute possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/40/40.html

I = mine
you = yours
he = his
she = hers
it = its
they = theirs
us = ours

Also, Bartleby, doesn't list thats as an alternative. It's just plain wrong.
Iain
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:34 pm
Yes, but the example given uses an apostrophe, which is correct.
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:51 pm
dupre wrote:
dduck, What's TEFL? Anything like ESL?

Yes, my appreciation of English came through studying other languages, too. Is it true that German is our sister language? Why is that?

ESL stands for English as a Second Language. It very similar to EFL, English as a Foreign Language. The distinction is that ESL takes place in an English speaking country, and EFL doesn't. The needs of the students will differ depending on which environment they find themselves in. For example, if you went to live in Italy, you'd have to deal with immigration, tax officials, utility bills, etc. Students learning English in Italy wouldn't have to suffer all the day-to-day contact with officialdom.

To answer your second question: English evolved in England, when the German speaking Anglo-Saxons became subjects of the conquering, French speaking, Normans. For example, some English comparatives are similar to some German ones:

good = gut
better = besser
cold = kalt
colder = kalter

Whereas, other comparatives use the French system, whereby the word "plus" (or more) is added to the adjective to form the comparative:

fun = amusant
more fun = plus amusant

German never forms comparatives by using mehr or more, and French never appends "-er" to adjectives. English being the offspring of German and French, uses both methods.

Iain
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:53 pm
rufio wrote:
Yes, but the example given uses an apostrophe, which is correct.

Why is the example correct? I don't understand your reasoning.
Iain
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:37 pm
In this context, "that" is a relative pronoun; it can't take any possessive -- apostrophe or not.

I would go with sozobe's second suggestion, although I think the sentence, in whatever form, is rather clunky. Given the chance to rewrite the entire sentence, I'd say: "Jim and Bob went out to the cabana, beginning the night certain of only one thing: that they wouldn't end it sober."
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 09:59 am
Hi. dduck: Thanks for the background on English's heritage. Very interesting. What about the syntax in German and, well, the order of the sentences. Any simalarities there?

joefromchicago and rufio: I just cannot think of any example or way to use "that" in the possessive. I've never seen it on any list of possessive pronouns either. Are we still debating that?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 12:09 am
"That" is an indefinite noun and can be used to substitute for other nouns (such as "the night") in a sentence. A noun doesn't have to be a pronoun to "possess" something. Are you debating that?

If you need an example, you can look at the sentence at the start of this thread. It's awkward, but grammatically correct. Also, "who" is exactly the same as "that" except that it's used when talking about a person rather than a non-sentient thing. You're familiar with the word "whose" aren't you?
0 Replies

whatis1029

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 05:21 pm
Is not "that" the same as "which" except that "which" is used when referrering to a group?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:56 pm
Hi! An answer from Webster's. Yea!!!

"Because 'that' has no genitive form or construction, 'of which' or 'whose' must be substituted for it in contexts that call for the genitive."

whatis1029: Also according to Webster's--and thanks for leading me to the answer!--" 'That,' 'which,' 'who': In currrent usage 'that' refers to persons or things, 'which' chiefly to things and rarely to subhuman entities, 'who' chiefly to persons and sometimes to animals. The notion that 'that' should not be used to refer to persons is without foundation; such use is entirely standard."
0 Replies