Violent America -- any excuse?

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:55 am
Quote:
Massacre Movie Knocks Kill Bill off Top of Charts

By Mark Sage, PA News, in New York

It was a gruesome affair at the top of the US movie chart today with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre knocking Kill Bill off the top spot.

The remake of the 1974 chainsaw horror took £18.2 million at the box office over the weekend, ahead of Quentin Tarantino's latest bloody offering which made £7.8 million.

Initial figures make The Texas Chainsaw Massacre the second biggest US box office opener, behind October 2002's Red Dragon, which collected £22.8 million.

It also meant that Kill Bill, starring Uma Thurman as an assassin, was knocked from the number one spot. That movie opened with £13.8 million last week.

http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2073323

We live in a nation obsessed with violence: violence in films, bumper stickers, popular music, behaviors in public and on the road, violence towards those we disagree with and towards other nations. Is violence ever a solution? What does our immersion in it say about us? Is there a way out of the culture of violence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
I feel reluctant to lump together violence in the arts and violence in real life, but I do have concerns about both. While "Kill Bill" got mixed reviews, I'm not aware that "Chainsaw" got any good reviews. But, of course, folks who would see it on the first weekend probably don't care a whole hell of a lot what the reviewers say.

I speculate that our recent frontier history may have to do with the American way of violence. The obsessiveness of NRA types, harking back to their sense of a God-given right to bear arms as per the Constitution (or their interpretation of it) I think harks back to the frontier mentality. It's an anti-authoritarianism, but not the kind some of us feel comfortable with.

I'm not sure how much of the above makes sense; I'm kind of thinking out loud, I guess, but this is a good topic and an important one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:12 am
The gladiators of Rome arose, very specifically, from a move at political exploitation by Iulius Caesar--i won't go into the details, but it was brilliant on his part, violent death is a big seller. Dog fighting, cock fighting, bear baiting--all were popular in Europe for centuries. Public executions were prime entertainment until quite recently in human history. Dog fighting and cock fighting continue to thrive, even though illegal. Bull fighting continues in many nations of the Hispanic world.

From Homer to Homer Simpson, violence has been a part of entertainment. The only difference here is the speed and the reach of the distribution of such films. If it didn't sell, they wouldn't make such movies, and they sell overseas just as they do in the U.S.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
Any excuse?

What about social testosterone?
American is the only culture I know of, that considers "chick flick" any movie where sentiments are shown.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
Agree, D'art, about the lumping together of life and art except in the sense that art is expression. I was thinking as I cut and pasted the above that art may be a substitute for violence but I think in this case, no. We do tend to encourage violence, don't we... Oh, as an example, the not-so-secret satisfaction of many parents when their kid has "stood up for himself" and beat another kid to a pulp. There's a gender specification there, but what I keep noticing is the increasing violence in women. In some cases, it's women who emulate men as though it were a "liberation" issue. More subtle and harmful is the amount of passive aggression many women use. I'd like to think frontier history were a cause (and would eventually fade away) but more often I think it's a justification.

It's just something I noticed when I first came back to live in the US and seems to be increasing: anger, anger expressed, anger relished, anger as a virtue even when it's expressed violently.

What may be closer to the center of the issue is the anti-authoritarianism you mention. I think the increasing authoritarianism in the US came out of the liberal sixties, odd though that may seem.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 12:18 pm
Interesting comment, Tartarin, re violence by women as a "liberation" issue. I suppose it can be viewed as empowering, but I'm pessimistic about how much better things are when women can be depicted as just as rough as men in the popular media.

I suspect, more than anything else, directors like Tarantino consider women kicking butt to be somehow titillating. Just a hunch; I don't buy tickets to his films, so those who appreciate his oeuvre can jump on me over this if they wish!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 12:36 pm
Well, Jackie Brown...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:19 pm
You wimps should spend a week with Ted Nugent hunting for your dinner.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
If Ted could be one of the targets, I might not mind. Not sure about him as dinner, though...Maybe just his moronic head as a trophy in the living room.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:55 pm
I believe you owe morons everywhere an apology . . .
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 02:59 pm
Don't know who Ted Nugent is... Missed that one.

BUT, NPR just did a story on a series which the Toledo Blade has started about atrocities in Vietnam. Here's a link: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SRTIGERFORCE

From what I heard, the bottom line is that a war crimes investigation should NEVER be done by the alleged perp. But the reason I post the link here is that violence is one thing, atrocities another... Or are they different?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:16 pm
Interesting subject. Just finished 30 minutes on the exercise bike, with "Crossfire" playing on the TVs in the gym. We Americans seem to have embraced contention and aggressiveness as an accepted form of behaviour more than in the past. The standard method of dealing with each other seems to be with confrontations and name calling. Violence sells becasue so many of us feel insecure, or slighted. It certainly seems we have something of an unhealthy culture. Sad
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
We might start by asking ourselves who we think deserves violence from us as a community and as an individual. What kind of person deserves to be dealt with violently. Are there criteria? Should someone who is violent be dealt with violently? Should we set up a system in which others are appointed to do our violence for us (the police, the warden, the Tiger Force in Nam)?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
Is the violence we experience here in the states any worse than on the rest of this planet? From what I read in the news it's no worse and in fact much less violent than in many nations around the globe. Man Is a violent animal always has been and no doubt always will be.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:49 pm
My own experience -- mostly urban Britain and rural Spain -- says not only are we much more violent but we have a taste for violence that other cultures don't. We like it in our films and in news reports. Much of the violence shown in films in Europe is derivative now, imitative of American films. I don't know if this is still true, but certainly London, Madrid and Paris were always much easier towns for women to walk around in -- even at night -- than New York or LA.

It's a culture we could change if we wanted to -- that I'm convinced of. Man has always been capable of violence, hasn't always used it. In any event, being capable of violence and cultivating violence are not the same thing. It's the cultivation of it which is interesting -- and awful.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:35 am
Tartarin
France takes on plague of sexual 'rite'

http://www.iht.com/articles/114798.htm
0 Replies