I'm Not the Litigious Type But

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:30 am
last night at a local restaurant a statue fell of the shelf above me and busted my head pretty efficiently over my left eye. I have felt woozy and nasty ever since. Can't sleep . The cheap bastards didn't even comp my dinner. People are advising me to see a doctor and a lawyer.

What do you think? Seriously?

Joeblow

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:42 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I'm not saying you shouldn't see a lawyer, but I definitely want you to see a doctor.

I'm truly surprised they didn't pick up the tab.
alex240101

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:47 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Yes to a doctor. Documentation needs to be made. They are liable.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:47 am
@Joeblow,
And, if you do decide to consult a lawyer later, you'll need medical documentation anyway.

But I don't like the sound of your symptoms. Please see a doctor.
dadpad

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:52 am
Ouch!
was it a religouse statue?
maybe its gods way of telling you something.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:54 am
@dadpad,
actually it was in a Mexican restaurant... so if I die or have a stroke or something I'm sure ebrown will be doing the superior dance in the streets and thanking the Mayan Gods for karmic payback. Or should I more properly say a restaurant run by spanish speaking dark skinned people of Hispanic origin with Mexican flags everywhere and Mexican food on the menu. that way I'm not profiling and assuming these are actually Mexicans without proper documentation. Laughing
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:00 am
@Joeblow,
you're a lawyer right Joe? Here's the deal. Let's say by later this afternoon I do go to the ER. I'm self insured. By the time the lawyers and the insurance companies hash it out, and I'm advised not to do any shows or go to the gym until the matter is settled.... AND it takes months to do so... the hospital has turned me in to a collection agency and I've lost income and reversed all the training progress I've made. It's not like this is a million dollar injury or anything. It doesn't seem worth it unless I start hallucinating or falling down or something.
dadpad

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:19 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
That'll teach you to slag mexican's with leaf blowers.
Sorry for your pain man. seems it wou;ld be worth a few free meals though. just to avoid any hint of litigation.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:27 am
@dadpad,
I think we'll just cross them off our list of restaurants. I mean **** happens and I don't want a million dollars but I paid for a dinner I only ate half of.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:29 am
small claims court? though that's only for damages under $2,000 or something to that effect (someone correct me if i'm wrong). they have (at least in Boston) mediators in training who might mediate the case with the restaurant (if they're willing...and they might be to avoid a real court case)... not sure about the costs, but perhaps it might be worth to explore.

doctor is a separate case- go see one not because of the possible court case, but to exclude possibility of concussion. that's no light matter.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:35 am
The hospital charge for an ER visit.... where they would no doubt MRI and cat scan me would be 10K at the least. then if they find nothing wrong (not like I want them to) and the restaurant tells me to **** off... I'M in court and have a lien.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:38 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
No, not a lawyer (!) though I have more than a flirting acquaintance with the CJS and Immigration up here in Canadia.

My concern is that you’ve been feeling woozy and nasty since last night…can’t sleep because of it… and that the hit was at the eye. Concussion itself can be no small matter.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:43 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Make sure they're legally in this country and have enough funds to cover your
medial cost, otherwise you're stuck with the cost yourself.

The least they could have done, is pay for your dinner. That's bad business
practice on their part. Then again, you live in South Carolina Twisted Evil
Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:53 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
two words...

judge judy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:55 am
@CalamityJane,
I live in North Carolina in the Triangle. An oasis of civilization in a vast 2 state wasteland.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:56 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Lucky you! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:01 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Dont ask for advice to see a doctor when you get slammed on the head. If you dont, you cant have any claim.

ALSO, lemme say that my experience in mining insurance claims (Its related here so shut up). An insurance company will argue their asses off that you didnt get mwedical treatment in that critical 8 or 12 hour window, so any claims are actually invalid because you have made the situation worse by not treating it sooner.

TRUST ME, they will say that , so dont give them any ammunition. The restaurant has liability insurance and E/O insurance, so dont be askin questions fool. Get to the docs, if you have a concussion or worse, you wont have the chance to make a claim if you asit around asking douche bags like me for advice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:07 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Doctor- Immediately. You may have had a concussion.

Lawyer- Accident lawyers work on a contingency basis, so if nothing comes of a law suit, it won't cost you anything. In fact, a good lawyer will not even take the case usnless he thinks that he can get something out of it.

With an accident such as yours, one never knows what the long term possibilities might be. It is important that you protect yourself from the possibility that you might need treatment down the line. At the least, the restaurant should pick up any expanses that you had because of the accident.

A few months ago, my son slipped and fell in one of A2K's favorite stores. (Won't tell you which one, but it begins with a "W"!) The entire scenario had been captured on film, and the accident was reported by a store employee.

My son had a bad shoulder from the incident, which originally was thought to be a torn rotator cuff. Now anyone who has had this, knows that to fix it involves a big operation, and lots of rehab.

Anyhow, he called a lawyer. My daughter-in-law is using the money from the settlement to do some upgrading in their house.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
AHEM, Im sure the upgrades on the house are made in order to facilitate getting around due to your sons fragile condition
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:29 am
@farmerman,
yes I would use my money to replace my heavy Stratocaster with a lightweight Steve Vai model Ibanez because I'm so weakend Laughing