This Should Put A Smile On The Conservative Faces

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:49 am
Obama won't read Palin's book
Posted: November 18th, 2009 11:47 AM ET

(CNN) " Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,982 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:16 pm
One of his main accomplishments, in my opinion, has been therapy for all the marginal liberals that voted for him, since now they can be assured that they truly are liberal. In effect, like any good litmus test, a vote for Obama may have served as proof positive that one is not a racist, whether or not one believed in his political agenda.

After his presidency, perhaps even years later, the glow on liberals might still be seen. Sort of like the Jewish mother that glows from the moment her child becomes a doctor/dentist/lawyer.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:41 pm
let's hope, if the worse comes to worse and palin were to get elected, she has the same sort of attitude

of course given her record, she'll resign in the third year of her term to pursue some other option
DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:43 pm
@djjd62,
Palinism is some kind of lycanthropy?

Were-Palins may come out of the woods to attack us....
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@DrewDad,
coming from alaska, who knows
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:48 pm
@djjd62,
I'll be amazed if Obama doesn't seek a 2nd term. His comments are so geared toward acting like he doesn't want to stay in the job.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:16 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.[/b]

Who does he think he's kidding. I don't believe for one minute that he's not going to run.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:38 pm
@djjd62,
With so many untruths revealed in her book, I wonder how many can depend on her to tell the truth as president?
rabel22

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
All the ultra conseratives.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just wonder who wrote the book?
Gala

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:38 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I don't know if you're being tongue in cheek with your response, but here's some writing on Palin's ghost writer:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/13/lynn-vincent-palin-co-aut_n_357204.html

http://gawker.com/5371146/sarah-palins-ghostwriter-pals-around-with-racists-and-wackos
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:48 pm
@Gala,
All we know from factcheck and others who have reviewed her book is that the co-author and Palin wrote a whole bunch of half-truths and outright lies, but the most revealing about her book is the title "Going Rogue."

Depending on how they interpret "rogue," we know that (about) 29% of readers will put a positive spin on it.
Gala

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
She has her loyal following, but they're not enough of them to get her elected. I heard Rudy Guiliani talking about her as a promising candidate, but that's what most prominent Republican politicians would say, the Republicans don't want to alienate her even though she's unstable.
Gala

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Of course Obama is going to put a diplomatic spin on it, but I bet when he's with his Michelle they talk about how nutty she is.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:29 pm
@djjd62,
I really think this is the point, rather than what was bolded:

Quote:
"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected

He's saying that he will make the hard decisions even if it makes him terribly unpopular, and if it makes him so unpopular that he can't even get re-elected, he'd rather sit it out and hand off the reins to a Democrat who CAN get elected than fail to make the hard decisions now out of concern for his future popularity.
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:33 pm
@sozobe,
true, but i was throwing the conservatives a bone, i mock them at most every turn so i thought i'd be nice for a change
sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:38 pm
@djjd62,
gotcha
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:53 am
@sozobe,
He has no choice but to make hard decisions, that's what signing onto the job entails. As far as I can tell, he'll run again, regardless of his poll popularity. On the inside he's got abunch of loyalists who's job it is to keep him on track to run again. Despite his populist message, being president is a total inside job, complete with all the perks and adulation you simply don't walk away from.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
@Gala,
I guess being president of the US vs governor of the state of Alaska are two different "perks, adulation, and stay or walk away jobs."
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:10 am
@Gala,
Thank you, Gala. I didn't know any of that.
0 Replies