Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics - Study

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:11 pm
Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics - Study
Mon October 20, 2003 12:11 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sexual identity is wired into the genes, which discounts the concept that homosexuality and transgender sexuality are a choice, California researchers reported on Monday.

"Our findings may help answer an important question -- why do we feel male or female?" Dr. Eric Vilain, a genetics professor at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, said in a statement. "Sexual identity is rooted in every person's biology before birth and springs from a variation in our individual genome."

His team has identified 54 genes in mice that may explain why male and female brains look and function differently.

Since the 1970s, scientists have believed that estrogen and testosterone were wholly responsible for sexually organizing the brain. Recent evidence, however, indicates that hormones cannot explain everything about the sexual differences between male and female brains.

Published in the latest edition of the journal Molecular Brain Research, the UCLA discovery may also offer physicians an improved tool for gender assignment of babies born with ambiguous genitalia.

Mild cases of malformed genitalia occur in 1 percent of all births -- about 3 million cases. More severe cases -- where doctors can't inform parents whether they had a boy or girl -- occur in one in 3,000 births.

"If physicians could predict the gender of newborns with ambiguous genitalia at birth, we would make less mistakes in gender assignment," Vilain said.

Using two genetic testing methods, the researchers compared the production of genes in male and female brains in embryonic mice -- long before the animals developed sex organs.

They found 54 genes produced in different amounts in male and female mouse brains, prior to hormonal influence. Eighteen of the genes were produced at higher levels in the male brains; 36 were produced at higher levels in the female brains.

"We discovered that the male and female brains differed in many measurable ways, including anatomy and function." Vilain said.

For example, the two hemispheres of the brain appeared more symmetrical in females than in males. According to Vilain, the symmetry may improve communication between both sides of the brain, leading to enhanced verbal expressiveness in females.

"This anatomical difference may explain why women can sometimes articulate their feelings more easily than men," he said.

The scientists plan to conduct further studies to determine the specific role for each of the 54 genes they identified.

"Our findings may explain why we feel male or female, regardless of our actual anatomy," said Vilain. "These discoveries lend credence to the idea that being transgender --- feeling that one has been born into the body of the wrong sex -- is a state of mind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:58 am
Hmm - that is interesting - the previous stuff that I had read was suggesting intra-uterine influences during a specific window period, as far as I understood.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:34 am
the religious folk won't like it.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:16 am
Not only the religious. I remember the big fight (rather equally divided as I recall) among psychiatrists back in the 70's about removing (properly in my opinion) homosexuality as a psychiatric disorder.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:25 am
Was there a result or did they call it a draw. As I understand it part of the "treatment" is electro shock therapy to the genitals.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:33 am
The "not a disorder" side won. Homosexuality has been removed from the list of disorders in the official manual of the American Psychiatric Association. I am not certain of the exact title of the association or the manual.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:35 am
Common sense won out among psychiatrists? That must have been a first.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:55 am
Not only that, but "treatment" is considered unethical under the code of ethics of most therapeutic professions.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:58 am
Wilso
Wilso, in the 1980s a small segment of the homosexual community rejected the notion that homosexuals are born homosexuals. They preferred the idea that homosexuals choose that "life style" rather than being born to it under the theory that homosexuality is as normal a life style as is heterosexuality.

I never agreed with that premise and have always believed that one day, science will prove that homosexuals are born homosexuals and cannot "intellectually" change their sexual orientation. It may turn out that a hormonal interruption in the birth process or an aberation in the genes is the cause, making homosexuality normal to them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 11:02 am
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:38 am
I knew that at the age of five and have spent thousands of dollars, not to mention time nad effort in correcting the problem. Now, I'm happy just being me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:33 am
Wiyaka
Wiyaka, I'm glad you took control of your life and have found contentment.

Welcome to Able2Know, glad to have you here.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:37 am
It's probably a combination of factors. Clearly, people are both influenced by genetics and conditioning.

I personally don't care who people chose to have sex with, it could be a doornob for all I care, as long as both partners are consenting.

One thing I am very apprehensive towards is gender reassaignment surgery. You loose sensation for a look! I think it is much healthier if possible to council acceptance of your own body.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:05 pm
Portal Star wrote:
It's probably a combination of factors. Clearly, people are both influenced by genetics and conditioning.

I think this is probably the case although I would say proclivity rather than conditioning. We as humans are too flexible in our behavior to have anything, even sex, "hard wired" into our biology.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:56 pm
Re: Gay at Birth?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
October 25, 2003 - New York Times
Gay at Birth?
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Still, while the data has problems, it is piling up — there are at least seven studies on twins. If there is a genetic component to homosexuality, one would expect identical twins to share sexual orientation more than fraternal twins, and that is indeed the case. An identical twin of a gay person is about twice as likely to be gay as a fraternal twin would be.

Earlier this year, the journal Personality and Individual Differences published an exhaustive review of the literature entitled "Born Gay?" After reviewing the twin studies, it concluded that 50 to 60 percent of sexual orientation might be genetic.

That identical twins share sexual orientation more than fraternal twins is a convincing argument, but I wonder how valid it is with only seven studies. This is a tiny sample size.

If homosexuality is primarily genetic, and homosexuals don't have children, then how is the trait passed on?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:19 pm
If it is genetic it is thought that the trait passes through the female line. There has been some research on this which I can not immediate put my hands on, but that would explain why a non reproductive behavior would reappear generation after generation if it is primarily genetic in origins.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:57 am
Re: Wiyaka
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Wiyaka, I'm glad you took control of your life and have found contentment.

Welcome to Able2Know, glad to have you here.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Actually, the Spirits decided for me. I'm not sure about the SRS, being content with being who and what I am, a Lakota Winkte. But that way off topic and a long tradition and personal story. Even my worse days are better than the good ones I had living a lie for 44 years.

It's not easy to lose people that you love because they can't accept you as different than what they knew. What's the difference between my changing how I look with clothing and hormones and someone that has plastic surgery to change their nose? I'm still the same person, only a "kinder and gentler" version.

I don't hide my past, as some may have seen by my postings, but I'm definitely more focused on the antiwar movement and human rights issues than ever before. I'm also much more spiritual than before, accepting the traditional Lakota Winkte role and that of one on a Spiritual Path.

My experiences have helped me understand how ignorant, nay, how stupid society in general is. (My definition of ignorance is merely lack of knowledge and understanding. Stupidity is the refusal to learn.) I try to change that, one person at a time. It's not always easy, but I try to be nonthreatening and have made friends of many because of it.

Thanks for your welcome. I love the forum and many of the topics that I've encountered. For the most part, the participants are not only openminded, by articulate and knowledgable on the subjects. If they don't know, they simply ask for more information. I love it.

I'll get a picture on my profile as soon as I can figure out how to reduce the size to the required. I'll be going back to Pine Ridge rez for a week, leaving Sunday night. I'm not sure when I'll be back here. You know, "Indian Time" Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
Wiyaka
Wiyaka, what can you tell us about the "traditional Lakota Winkte role", and about Turtle Island?

A friend of mine brought me a wonderful gift this week. He found a sandstone rock perfectly shaped as a turtle. I love it and found a place of honor for it in my garden.

BBB
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
I don't have time to give the full story here now. Leaving for Pine Ridge around noon tomorrow. Let it suffice that the turtle is the basae of Tuirtle Island, according to our beliefs. Turtle Island is what most people today call North and South America.

Winkte are traditional male Two Spirit that live as a woman. We have a respected role within the communities we life in and our "duties" (For want of a better word or phrase) are many. Some are Healers, we are givers of spiritual names, mediatiors, marriage counselors, teachers, Caretakers of children and the elderly, messengers, advisors to the tribal councils, and spiritual people doing Ceremonies. Some of us take on a few of these responsiblities, where others of us take on many. On the rare occassion, we would help defend the village against attack or even go on war parties, only to return to our usual lifestyle afterwards.

Our position in our community wasn't uncommon amongst the Lakota. Some even married men and were their wifes. After all, we don't have the monthly cycle of a normal woman and are usually a bit more phyically stronger, though not always. Crazy Horse even had a Winkte wife.

It's said to be Winkte is one in 10,000, but to be Winkte and carry a Canupa (pronounced Chanoopa, meaning Sacred Pipe in Lakota) is one in 100,000. That will give you an indication of how few of us Winkte there are and how few are Pipe Carriers or Common People as they are called.

We and our female counter parts (Wicopke, women that live as men) are said to have the Balance that most people strive for. We carry both a male and female spirit simutaneously. This give us a unique perspective on things. We not only see what's happening around us, but the possible ramifcations of words and deeds. Are we better than others? No, simply different., like those with red hair would be to a person with natural black or blond hair would be.

Wewstern expansion and differing spiritual beliefs have done much to drive Winkte into hiding for years. Assimilatriion has even caused some communities to force Winkte from their home reservations. However, the Elders say that the Winkte will return and resume their rightful niche in the communities. After all, we all had our niche to fill in the traditional community and still do, unlike present general society. Slowly and steadily, doors are being reopened and the People are coming not only to accept me, but other Winkte and Wicopke as well.

My partner Sam is my Other Whole, most Native People would say "Other Half", but since we are both Two Spirit and compliment each other so well, we say"Other Whole". Sam and I are often referred to as the "Oddest Couple" within the Two Spirit Community of Turtle Island. She's a GG (Genetic Girl) and was raised as the son her father never had. We are a perfect match. That's enough for now.

BTW, I hope you enjoy the picture of myself. It's a bit of a contrast to my picture taken back in 1967, while I was in Jump School.

Well, gotta get packing for a trip home with Sam and our three little pups. They travel everywhere with us and are so cute. Being sled dogs that think they are lap dogs the size of a rat terrier is interesting. The smallest is only about 60 pounds and the other two are close to 85 and 90 pounds respectively.

WE'll be gone about a week and offline during that time. I love it, no cell phone, no home phone or computers while on the road. Gives us the chance to talk to each other while driving and doesn't interupt us when we are in Ceremonies, giving us a chance to concentrate on what's really important.

Hope everyone has a great week. I'll be back next week. That's no promise, just a threat. :-D
0 Replies