Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:58 pm
I read this somewhere, and didn't get the meaning.

Mr.A says: ' "People will protest anything". Uh, yeah. Head | Sand ? '

Mr.B replies: 'Not like that, like this:
"People will protest anything". Uh, yeah. Been | Dip ? '

I can't understand what is "Head | Sand" and what is "
Been | Dip " here for the time being.

Would you like to explain them to me? TIA.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,511 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:20 pm
You are not alone. I don't get the meaning either.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:21 pm
I haven't got a clue.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:22 pm
Head in sand?

I doubt anyone will be able to explain it without knowing the context.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:52 pm
betcha it's a misprint. How about: been|did?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:44 pm
The context:

Mr.B: Hey sometimes the cockroaches come out during the day too. Never knew the roaches were so large in Australia. Protestors, I mean roaches, will protest anything. I think we all know theres people who hate Bush at this point. Well, only five years left.

Mr.A says: ' "People will protest anything". Uh, yeah. Head | Sand ? '

Mr.B replies: 'Not like that, like this:
"People will protest anything". Uh, yeah. Been | Dip ? '
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 12:18 am
Oristar, This is a case in which the context doesn't help. I have no idea what is intended. Sorry.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:56 pm
Well, I'll try... Roberta's right, tho, the context doesn't help much. To have your head in the sand means to be blind to the facts; to not see what's obvious. So maybe the protesters just protest to be out there, rather than because something's actually wrong.

And could it be "bean' | dip? I don't know what sense that makes, except that bean dip is thicker and gooier than sand...

Would some programmer come and tell me what the pipe ( | ) is used for? Maybe that will help...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:29 pm
Well, I asked my programmer pal. She sez the pipe ( | ), when used in a program, means that the first part is inserted into the second part. So "head | sand" could mean "Stick your head in the sand"... but we still can't figure out the second one!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:11 pm
Well analyzed, wy!

"Head|sand" means "bury [hide] one's head in the sand". I have contacted the poster who posted "head|sand", and he confirmed this!
But still could not figure out what "been|dip" means. Smile

(I guess "been" should be "bean", just as you have reasoned it out. "Bean" can intend "A person's head", so "dip one's head into water" can intend to the same situation like "head|sand}. Both are ostrich's style.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
Here is the poster's explanation:

I was inferring that certain posters were putting their heads in the sand with regards to international opinion of GWB. Instead of accepting that there is widespread resentment of the man outside of (and to a degree inside) the US, some posters seem to be attempting to discredit the protesters, either as fundamentalists or tree-huggers.

I was implying that maybe it would be useful to try to understand why people are resentful of GWB, rather than simply discrediting large groups of people.

Still don't get the confirmation about "bean|dip".

PS. I don't get "tree-huggers". Who would like to explain? TIA
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:32 pm
"Tree-huggers" means a certain kind of hippie, idealistic, but probably unrealistic person, especially a protester. It can refer either to the kind of person who would just walk up to a tree and hug it because trees and nature are so wonderful, or to someone who is protesting the fact that loggers want to cut that tree down. People have chained themselves to trees, live in trees, etc., as part of protests.

"Tree-hugger" is usually used with a negative connotation -- "Oh, great, what are those tree-huggers up to now."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
Thanks sozobe. Your explanation is very clear! Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:12 am
I really like knowing the "pipe" explanation... My programmer buddy said to me last Friday -- "oh, his head pipe butt!" when a mutual friend of ours was being stupid!

very funny! Thanks!
0 Replies