ALTERNATIVE EXPLITIVES FOR THE F WORD

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:37 pm
@devriesj,
Quote:
And last but not least, when I get made and am trying desperately not to let the 'big ones' fly, I come out with some sort of gibberish that has come to resemble arabic!

It doesn't seem like you're quite the prude you suggest you are, D. Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:53 pm
Quote:
Open Questions: Are You Bothered By Swearing On Television?
by Linda Holmes

Blue language always makes for a very tricky discussion. This weekend, The New York Times ran a piece fairly openly lamenting, in what's intended as a news piece, the fact that there are more uses of what might be considered semi-swearing -- words like "bitch" and "douche" that aren't officially profanity but aren't considered nice words -- on television.

I have certainly sworn plenty in my life, though I do it less than I used to. As I've acknowledged before, I tend to resist efforts to scrub the language entirely, and I certainly resist the idea that profanity is inherently uncreative. In the right situation, it packs an entirely appropriate situation-specific punch, particularly when used sparingly. I often forget that swearing is even allowed on Mad Men until somebody unloads an unexpected non-broadcast-friendly word, because it doesn't happen very often at all. They dole it out in small doses, which means you don't simply stop hearing it. When somebody suddenly says "B---s---" on Mad Men, you sit up.

It's absolutely true that in a word like "sucks," you can easily see the evolution of these things -- when I was growing up, "sucks" was only slightly less bad than an actual bad word, and now it's really a big nothing.

So this is my question: How do you feel about that gradual process of coarsening that seems to be inevitable and unstoppable? Is it so inevitable that it doesn't really matter?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2009/11/open_questions_are_you_bothere.html?sc=nl&cc=msb-20091116
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:57 pm
Quote:
ALTERNATIVE EXPLITIVES FOR THE F WORD

For ****'s sake, she can't even ******* spell!

Wink
Sglass

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@JTT,
I don't do windows either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 03:55 pm
@Sglass,
I don't think ya'll understand the scale of what we're talking about, her.

They've come up with enough words to fillet book.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 04:13 pm
Do you have a sole mate?
0 Replies