commentary on the issue of civil war

tiafazz

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:27 pm
I need to add a commentary on the civil war. I wrote a paper on Athenian and American Democracies and my teacher wants me to inclue a commentary on the issue of civil war
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,683 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:35 pm
@tiafazz,
i believe there will be one

sooner rather than later
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:46 pm
Civil war was so common in the ancient world as to have been a commonplace. Athenian armies in the early days had a panel of eight or ten generals to command them, each one taking the turn to command the army for a day--because they didn't trust one another, and didn't want any one individual to achieve sufficient popularity with the armed citizens to enable him to take control of the city.

The American Civil War was a product of unresolved issues from the ratification of the constitution, and irreconcilable differences between the agrarian, slave-owning aristocracy of the South, and the hypocritical, industrial wage-slave employing aristocracy of the North.

Really, it's a bit much for you to expect to come here and have us do your homework for you.
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Really, it's a bit much for you to expect to come here and have us do your homework for you.

but i was up all night playing call of duty modern warfare 2
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:55 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
but i was up all night playing call of duty modern warfare 2

Try to think of it as a contemporary civil war . . .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:59 pm
@tiafazz,
This is the best I could do but you will have to associate what Thucydides was talking about with the Greeks to the Americans, thus:

A quote from Thucydides in reference to the civil war in Corcyra:

Quote:
"To fit in with the change of events, words too had to change their usual meanings. What used to be described as a thoughtless act of aggression was now regarded as the courage one would expect to find in a party member; to think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one's unmanly character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action. Fanatical enthusiasm was the mark of a real man, and to plot against an enemy behind his back was perfectly legitimate self-defense. Anyone who held violent opinions could always be trusted and anyone who objected to them became suspect."

Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian Wars (III, v 82)

0 Replies