Possibly moving to FL. How do I move 5 felines cross the country?

mm25075

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:39 pm
Ok, so here we have another installment of the moving to FL series....

I've done some reasearch on some of the financial and other aspects of moving, but I keep coming back to my dear felines..

I have two geriatric kitties. They don't like cars much but for the most part are healthy and happy as old kitties go. They are quite fragile when it comes to stress though. One went through fatty liver disease a few years ago and I managed to nurse him out of it after 3 long grueling weeks of feeding at timed intervals) , the other has no teeth so I have to watch their eating habits and such closely.

I have a 'wild" kitty. The home I am in now has been her home since she was a kitten. I have a outdoor cat enclosure which she acesses at her leisure through a kitty door. This area is pretty much her territory and while she can be very loveable, she is also very skittish of strangers and new situations. I don't see moving her as an easy task. She is gonna FREAK. to put it mildly.

Wild kitty's sis is quite independent and although she is very easy going socially with people, she loves loves loves going out into my backyard. Lately she has been on permanent grounding because she hopped the brickwall and hung out in the neighbors yard for about an hour. (this is mostly a strickly indoor kitty, she is not allowed out of the yard..at all. This has been the RULE since she came to my home.

Last I have my tazmanian devil. He is sweet and very very loving but OMG don't even try and pick him with his business end facing you. You will at minimal get your shoulder bit. HARD. This kitty, no matter how good I became at preventing kitties from getting outside, he has managed to escape. Lucky for me he actually prefers to be an indoor kitty, so after a few moments he'll come right back inside.

So....with all that description......I am trying to think of the best way to move me, 5 kitties, my belongings, one way approx 3000+ miles.

I've toyed with the idea of having my car shipped on a flat bed truck, having my belongings hauled cross country by a moving company and taking me and the 5 kitties on a trip in a rented RV. (maybe stopping at cat friendly hotels along the way)

What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,174 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:27 pm
@mm25075,
I had 12 moves in 24 years. Send the cats by plane to a relative. Drive your car with only as many belongings as you need to set up straight away. Pack the rest of your goods and chattels and contact a removal firm. As soon as you are roughly established send for cats as soon as possible.

I know it isnt cheap and there is the possibility of the cats running away while they are being temporarily looked after, but they will be near someone who will keep looking. Putting them in a cattery causes a great deal of stress as other foriegn cats wail pathetically all the time and the surroundings are far stranger than a relatives home. They may even smell familiar odours with a relative.

Failing a relative, persuade a friend locally but be mindful your cats may try to return home if they get a familiar scent on the wind.

Lastly, keep your fingers crossed. Are you familiar with the expression about herding cats ?
mm25075

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:16 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Lastly, keep your fingers crossed. Are you familiar with the expression about herding cats ?

Thanks for the advice. I am very familiar with herding of cats.

I have no family/friends at the new location. I 'm really not in the mindset to send them ahead by plane. I can just imagine the stress that would involve. That would be an ultimate last last last resort if I couldn't figure out any other way.
Ionus

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:08 pm
@mm25075,
I tried taking my cats with me once and one did a bolt at a rest stop. I eventually got it back after several hours, but the stress on it was obvious. Any relative will do, it doesnt have to be at the new location. Even if you pay an extra week's rent and get a house sitter to look after them, then air ship them to you. Be very wary of taking them with you. The move where I took them with me was only a 1,000 km (600 mile) move - just down the road by what you are attempting - and it was an unmitigated disaster. May I urge you strongly against taking them with you by road ? The stress on you and the cats is not worth it. Your primary obligation is to get you there safely, something not guranteed even if you travel without constant demands on your attention.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:31 pm
@Ionus,
My experience does not contradict you. My family traveled from Washington state to Florida, and I don't believe she stopped howling long enough to sleep.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:47 pm
How I ended up with two cats is a story with a difference. I was watching a program about jails where the meanest, mother-hatingest, father-rapingest, psycho son-of-a-bitch was being turned around by being given a cat to look after...so I thought I had better get two.

They were sister kittens and as luck would have it they grew up hating each other...which made feed time the equivalent of putting your hand into a paper shredder which would randomly switch on and off...or not...sometimes not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:56 pm
@mm25075,

Travel cages are available for sale,
in several different sizes n styles.

Its not unusual to see them at airports.
Depending on how well thay get along with @ other
get one or more travel cages.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:58 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

...so I thought I had better get two.

Smile
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:15 am
Ok so I've always had this dream that when I retired I wanted to take a cross country trip on a motorcyle and an RV (not both at the same time) but as I envision this, I'm thinking something along the lines of a home on wheels for the cats.

In my dream world..I would rent a bus with a driver.

Sans being a rock star with my own bus, I'd rent a small RV that I could drive.

*cough cough* And this pains to me say it, but I would be looking to stop in walmart parking lots over night or getting a hotel room for myself and one of the cats. (the others would stay in the RVat nights). Might even try to talk a relative into traveling with me at least part way.

Ok so for crowd cat control, I use the two safety method. Cats in travel crates with doors locked before the RV door gets opened.

Collars on all kitties with current phone number. Harnesses and leashes for the two escape artists.

Food, water, showers for the driver (me) and this could be a fun road trip. ...It could...maybe.

*thinks* hmmm, reasonably I could take as long as two weeks before I would have to report back to work.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:24 am
@mm25075,
you can rent a 3/4 ton cargo van from many agencies for a reasonable rate.

outfitted properly, you could camp your way to Florida with the felines along.

it would take some planning with 5.

(you make me feel almost normal. I' ve only 3)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:33 am

What r your defensive plans for when u r
in the parking lots overnight ?

U need sentries.
(Your felines r nocturnal, by nature.)
U shoud train some of them to operate catapults.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:37 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you can rent a 3/4 ton cargo van from many agencies for a reasonable rate.

outfitted properly, you could camp your way to Florida with the felines along.

it would take some planning with 5.

(you make me feel almost normal. I' ve only 3)
Will there be enuf room in there for the catapults ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:39 am
@mm25075,
The cats eye works on movement. This may sound strange, but they have more chance of recognising something if it moves rather than if it stands still. This is a great assett in catching moving things and we all know how stimulating it is to tease a cat with a feather duster...for the cat, I mean.

Now comes the rub....if the cat can see out of the vehicle it will be stimulated beyond its worst nightmare, or yours. If they are covered over, they can get quite car sick and very frightened. Looking out the window or covered up, it will be a nightmare for the cat and it will meow to the point of exhaustion. A very stressful time. If you have to travel with cats, get them used to the vehicle first.

Having said all that, I had a cat once that used to sit on the dashboard and travel quite comfortably up there. It would fall asleep ! But it was a bit tougher than usual. It used to chase dogs...seriously. A very confusing time for a dog if not plain humiliating.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:12 am
@Rockhead,
not sure just a van would do it. Good place to start.

Ok...isn't 5 a normal amount? *grins*

Considering the personalities of the kitties, if I set them up right in the RV they might take to it ok.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

What r your defensive plans for when u r
in the parking lots overnight ?

U need sentries.
(Your felines r nocturnal, by nature.)
U shoud train some of them to operate catapults.

David

Yeah. Not sure about safety issues..hmmm.

I know! I know! I'll take the wild cat and throw it at em! She can scratch their eyes out and then some. <reference to crazy cat lady from the simpsons inserted here>

Wish I had a dog for that sentry stuff

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:49 pm
@Ionus,
I think this is a good idea other than the two older kitties. Those I would bring with me in the car. Get a good cat carrier and if it is big enough and the two older kitties are friendly enough with each other - put them in the same carrier for comfort. Otherwise get two carriers with each of them in a separate one.

I'd be worried that the flight stress would be greater and perhaps temperature and air pressure changes would be too much for the older kitties. Seems to me the longer drive with you nearby would be more comforting for the older two.
chai2

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:33 pm
@Linkat,
I agree linkat.

you can keep an eye on the older cats, and the others would probably end up spraying the inside of the car.

anyway you slice it, all of them are going to be wound up and miserable.

Aside...I was traveling with 2 cats at one time, just let them free reign in the car.

One of them, Simi, was the type of cat who could see themselves in the mirror, could see stuff on the TV, would hiss at a salt shaker because it had eyes painted on it (a little cat wearing a sunbonnet and gingham dress, of all things...oh, and carrying a basket of flowers) She was a quiet one though.

When we were driving through the Tennesse, every time we drove through a valley, she would stand with her front feet pressed against the window, and scream at the mountain.

Happened too often to be chance. She'd stand there yelling "HEY! HEY MOUNTAIN!"
Then she look at me and scream "DO YOU SEE THIS ****?! THERE'S A MOUNTAIN!!!"

She'd shut up as soon as the mountain back off, so she felt useful I suppose.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:44 pm
@chai2,
I do the same thing - I'm always yelling at mountains - f*cking mountain get outta my sight. Didn't know anyone else felt the same way. Smart cat.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:05 pm
@chai2,
I over a free cat translation service :
Quote:
Happened too often to be chance. She'd stand there yelling "HEY! HEY MOUNTAIN!"
Then she look at me and scream "DO YOU SEE THIS ****?! THERE'S A MOUNTAIN!!!"
TRANSLATION : Wahta great place to live !! We can see enemy coming, we can view the best hunting spots...good move bringing us here, oh mighty-opposable-digit-for-opening-cans !!

Quote:
She'd shut up as soon as the mountain back off, so she felt useful I suppose.
TRANSLATION : There was nothing wrong with that mountain, you dumbass !! Oh, you are such a dumbass !! Why do I tolerate you, you unhygenic-furless-mishappen-joke-of-a-creature !! When I sat on your lap and purred, I was faking it !!!
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Seems to me the longer drive with you nearby would be more comforting for the older two.

Oh definately. and for me too!
0 Replies