I THREW OUT MY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND CHOL. MEDS AND AM USING NATURAL FOOD METHODS.

Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
Got sick and tired of being sick and tired with all the bad reactions I got from high blood pressure meds and chol. meds.

I am taking six capsules of capesin (cayanne pepper) and alfalfa tablets a day and alfalfa and hisbiscus tea.

I replaced zocar with oatmeal and blueberries.

In less than two weeks my bp is normal and chol. is at acceptable level.

I could get on a real rant about what I think of the PRACTICE of medicine. but I will spare you.

The dude doctor gave me allegra (allergy med.) for a sinus infection caused by infected teeth. Lexapro (depression med) for chemically induced depression from high blood pressure meds.

The kicker was a beta block (which should'nt be given to people with COPD) which caused my heart rate to drop to 40, simulting bary-cardia which is usuallly corrected with the installation of a pacemaker.

Anyone had similar experiences.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,643 • Replies: 28
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:44 pm
@Sglass,
My BP meds make me very tired for about an hour and I have positional HYPOtension all day. If I get up from a squat real fast, Ill get lightheaded and almost white out.
My doc had split mymeds in half, half in AM and half PM . My BP is 115 /70 and my Atrial fib is usually incheck but I get episodes after I eat so I keep on taking Coumadin.
Its a drag Ill tell you. I like to try what youve been doing but my family history is of people on my dads side whov dropped dead at 45. Im gonna be 59 in Decemeber.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:56 pm
I have not been to the doctor for illness or disease in so many years, I can't recall the circumstances or when last.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
do you take your BP? regularly?.

Our BPs do all kinds of wacky things during a day and keeping them platelets from sticking is a good thing
sullyfish6

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:29 pm
Just your stress being reduced helps, too.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:33 pm
Wow. FM, your BP is good! I had a physical for my First Aid yesterday and my BP was 140 over 70. I didn't think that was so bad but she said it was high. Hmmm... is it really high?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:46 pm
@farmerman,
I have checked my BP from time to time. It has always been in a good range.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:55 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Wow. FM, your BP is good! I had a physical for my First Aid yesterday and my BP was 140 over 70. I didn't think that was so bad but she said it was high. Hmmm... is it really high?
I wish mine was that good.
Mame

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:49 pm
@dyslexia,
What's it all mean, Alfie?

It's all just numbers, eh? I could have been stressed waiting for three hours, or driving there or whatever. Just take care. I found a good site with a high BP diet that appears to be quite successful. Of course, that entails not much alcohol so I don't know how you'd like that, but...
dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:56 pm
@Mame,
i just took mine, 160/103
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Jeez Louise. I think that you should get yours checked and is your doc an internal med or cardio? Ive gotten on a Diovan/HCTZ Accupril regimen (and coumadin for my atrial fib and an aspirin every other day). Id been taking a whole boatload of different BP'seds and my NEW doc (shes a great one) had me split everything and then we went and started dropping some. My BP got to this present level and has been doing that for about 3 years

I take my BP several times a day dys. I have a porty cuff and its no big deal to take it. Im kind of a data nut so I record my BPs and compare to several externals like, when I ate or when, activity/stress. I have a lab journal that I keep my data and me and doc discuss it .

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:37 pm
@Mame,
Thank ye mum. We try to be in the competitive range. (I have some BP buds that we, being EX TYPE A's) weve rededicated our A'ness into external things. I dont interrupt people nearly as much any more. I dont cut people off and "bird them" whenever I had a bad day at the office or school. My BP, before meds was 180/110 and I was on a fass track , So I got into OHMMING and then meds and exercise . Ive been succeeding for at least 10 years cause I was only 45 when I had the highest BP. A 140/70 isnt bad because your systoly varies up and down all day. What you should be doing is working with feedback and taking your BP and reinforcing your activities when your BP is lower. Try to keep that condition active and take yer BP more frequently. Its worked for me because NOT KNOWING is more stressful than having a high number but knowing it. WHen I know my numbers I can work on them. AM I making myself clear? Its sort of taking biofeedback to another level and concentrating on what keeps your BP lower.

NOW, since I have essential hypertension , I do need the meds but Im slowly weaning myself off the "cocktail " of them. All this is with my docs mentorship. Were gonna write a paper on applied BP therapy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:56 pm
@Sglass,
Why don't you keep an eye on this, and let us know how it's going in another six weeks or so? Are you doing your own monitoring, by the way?
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:13 pm
I have switched over to sea salt as opposed to table salt (sodium cholride) which is the real culprit in high blood pressure. Unfortuntely it makes it more difficult in going out to eat in restaurants because you don't know how the food is prepared or how much sodium cholride has been added. Then, of course, how to shop in the supermarket. All your breads, crackers, et al have have the sc along with frozen and canned vegetables. Unfortunately we are pretty much at the mercy of the food industry.

Being in Hawaii, we have wonderful organic food markets with fresh vegetables grown locally. In Volcano, we have a farmers market every Sunday morning where Andy and I get our vegetables, and fresh baked goods that are salt free. It is going to be an adjustment to giving up stuff that is bad for me and stay on the wagon viz a viz good stuff. Like I love junk food. Andy saves his bacon fat and smears it on bread as a snack. But that is a northern europe thing. He has high blood pressure too.

Too, I have switched to drinking mostly water, a cup of coffee in the morning and my skin milk for my oatmeal.

I'm sure the US is the Junk Food capitol of the world.

Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:17 pm
@roger,
There is a cuff at the CVS pharmacy which I use. And on Sunday morns at the Farmer's market there are medical pros there to do BP. I should start a diary.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:02 am
@Sglass,
Okay, it's been maybe four months. Are you still doing this, and is it still working?
margo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:19 am
Yep - Seaglass - c'mon, howzit all going?
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:34 am
@margo,
SEAGLASS???
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:04 am
i think its a wonderful thing, getting rid of your meds.
And you can heal most everything you have going on with your diet.

It isnt JUST junk food that you need to be aware of though. Its things labeled health foods too.
Just eat things that are not packaged. Veggies, fruits and make your own bread if you can.

The culprit in everything is the chemicals. Those cause probably 70% of most common diseases including obesity. It isnt always " you eat too much " its the chemicals and their reactions in our bodies that create the issues. Sadly almost all of our food has these chemicals in it.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:58 am
@roger,
I'm very interested in how you're doing too, sglass. After suffering my second TIA a couple weeks ago I am now on meds for bp, cholesterol, and a blood thinner. None of my values were exceedingly high but two TIAs and a family history of clotting problems/strokes on boths sides has put me into a high risk category. I'm going along with the pharmaceutical approach for now but I'd LOVE to switch to a more holistic approach in the future. At the same time, I don't want to be stupid and eschew pharma if it's going to keep me from a significant stroke event.

How are you doing with your herbal/holistic approach over pharma?