Question for MEN - the Best Electric Shaver is...?

Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
As with a lot of men, Alex hates shaving with a razor, and as with a lot of women, I hate stubble. So I want to buy an electric shaver for Alex for Christmas and I've been researching what's out there and reading reviews on the internet. It's very confusing since the reviews are all over the map. Some love a particular shaver, others hate it. Who does one believe? 488 5-star reviews, 365 1, 2 and 3-star reviews, for example.

The ones I'm looking at are the Braun Pulsonic 9595 and the Phillips Arcitec RQ 1095. The thing is that they are over $200 and I don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't work or will break down, as some reviews have mentioned.

The other question is foil vs rotary blades. I have been reading about the difference and it sounds like foil provides the closest shave.

Do any of you men have a preference for a particular shaver and, if so, why? Is there something else I should be paying attention to (other features)?

All advice appreciated.

DrewDad

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:17 am
@Mame,
The problem with electric razors is that you have to replace the foil every so often.

I ended up getting the $15 dollar model that runs on AA batteries. I keep it in my car.
Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:25 am
@DrewDad,
So are you saying that paying more doesn't get you a better product? What do you suggest I do? He really hates wet shaving so I'd like to get him a quality electric shaver. I don't mind buying replacement foils or heads - just don't know what to buy him.
farmerman

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:52 am
@Mame,
I keep one of those 15$ battery ones in my boat. It does an ok job getting around my smallish beard.Theres nothing I can tell about one over the other. Most of all that is just marketing
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:57 am
would santa lie?

DrewDad

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:25 am
@Mame,
I can't really give you a recommendation, because I haven't used any of those high-end shavers.

I have a battery-powered trimmer, for when I've gone too long without shaving, to get my beard down to a manageable length. Then I use either a blade or my cheap electric razor to clear off the stubble.

Shaving's a pain (sometimes literally); I'm not sure if a high-end razor is going to shift his habits.
Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
@djjd62,
just a tad dated Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh, he shaves every day that he's not in the field - it's just that he doesn't enjoy it and I wanted to make it a bit more pleasant for him. Thanks for your help, though, DrewDad. I guess I'll just continue to research it. One store I called (Shavers) only has razors starting over $300 and they told me anything cheaper was garbage! I'm not paying $400 for their top one, that's for sure.
tsarstepan

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm
@Mame,
I haven't had one in years but I always loved my Norelco. The one with the rotating/rotary blades.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:27 pm
@Mame,
The blades of an electric razor last a very long time so replacement foils and heads are really a moot concept.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:48 pm
@Mame,
Ive had my 15$ one for about 2 years and the only reasonI bought it was to replace a previous one that got all qet from sitting on deck in the rains.

I like to shave the coarser beard with my cheap shaver ,it makes a cutting sound on the beard like Im cutting grass. THEN, I have a shaving mug and abrush to lather up after a shoqer and I use throwaway razers like Bic.
The guys telling you to spend 300$ for an electric shaver are just trying to play on your devotion to your guy. Buy him a cheap razor and then take him out for a real good evening with dinner and a flick.

OR with the money you save, buy him a neat GPS for his car. GUYS HATE PRACTICAL STUFF AS A GIFT. WE LIKE TOYS
tsarstepan

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

OR with the money you save, buy him a neat GPS for his car. GUYS HATE PRACTICAL STUFF AS A GIFT. WE LIKE TOYS

Testify! Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, tsarstephan for your input. The Norelco seems to be a favourite.

FM - Dinner and a flick? lol Sounds like the '50s Smile

I paid $80 for a razor you could use in the shower for my son one year and I think it wound up being garbage. I am not easily swayed into parting with mucho bucks for something like that, and he was quite snobbish about his products Smile

I figure Alex can shave with a razor-razor on day 1, then use the electric for the next few, then razor-razor again. He never lets it get more than a one day growth at home (thank God).

Now... rotary or foil?

P.S. I heard the car GPS units were quite annoying in that if you go off their plan, they say "Recalculating" over and over and sound miffed at you Smile Also, they don't take into account construction, traffic jams, accidents, etc (of course). Anyway, he's a guy - he has radar in his head.
tsarstepan

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:17 pm
@Mame,
I'm a guy and I guess my built in radar system is a tad faulty. Razz

How many years is that warranty again? Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:19 pm
@Mame,
I use a rotary head Norelco, just like my father before me. On the weekends, I pull out a blade for a real shave. Blades take longer and require more skill, but they shave much closer. Count on a five o'clock shadow with any electric. That said, I've been happy with my rotary. Don't bother with the cordless ones. They are a lot more expensive and the batteries are hard to replace.
Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:37 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, I was just reading about the Norelco HQ 7180 and they were saying the batteries were a problem. Yours would be a different model, of course, as I think the 7180 is new. I think I'm just going to have to go in and look at a bunch of them... or maybe give him a coupon and let him choose his own.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:39 pm
@Mame,
Phooey. Have him try shaving in the shower with a blade. The twin blade Shick is still the best, in spite of the little slime dispensing plastic strip.
Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:09 pm
@roger,
HE HATES SHAVING WITH A RAZOR. Roger that, Roger?

Ever noticed that when they come out with the "new and improved" razor blades you can never find replacement blades for the one you actually own? Ticks me off.
0 Replies

Reyn

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@Mame,
Mame, I've got a Braun razor, Contour model 5885, which I absolutely love. Best shave ever. It's a cordless, rechargeable one, and I've had no problems.

Of course, it all depends on the user's facial hair type, as to what razor works best.

I bought mine at London Drugs, which will let you try it out for a period of time, and you can return it if it doesn't work out.
Mame

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:50 pm
@Reyn,
thanks, Reyn... i'll look for that model when I go. Likely it's not offered anymore, but Braun was another top pick on my list.
0 Replies