Question for MEN - the Best Electric Shaver is...?

edgarblythe

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
I have tried electric razors a number of times in my life. For whatever reason, none ever worked on me. I use Gillette disposables and they serve me very well.
0 Replies

andycrump

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:39 pm
@Mame,
Hi Mame, my boyfriend hated shaving as well, yes that's right hated as in past tense, the best electric shaver he ever used but really didn't even like it was the Braun self cleaning one. He used it for about 6 months then gave up on it.

The things that changes his view on shaving daily was wet shaving! He discovered wet shaving while we were spending some time in a farmers market and passed by a store

Any who long story short he LOVES shaving everyday now

He found a great websites with tips & tricks and some decent product recommendations.

I think the key thing for him was that in the long run, its cheaper, he gets better results, and I must also say I enjoy the smoothness of his face!

Check it out for yourself:

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Hope it goes well!
Andy Crump
roger

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:52 pm
@andycrump,
You say he actually LOVES shaving and I'm probably not going to believe whatever else you have to say, either.
mm25075

Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:45 pm
For a short time I worked at a place that never had enough foils in stock for the most famous brand they had. Buy a few extra foils if you have the option.
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 02:17 am
Quote:
I wanted to make it a bit more pleasant for him.

It aint gonna happen.
Wet shaving is more macho anyhow. Electric is like soooooo gay.
I'd go with the GPS idea, if only cause it will make him feel macho when he ignores it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:21 am

BLADE is the best.

It takes longer, but its worth it.

David
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:44 pm
Thanks for all your advice. Today I bought him a Phillips 7380 rotary head shaver. If he doesn't like it (or if I don't!), I can take it back. I didn't splurge for the higher costing ones (this was $110) because I don't know if he'll like it. I can always return it and upgrade it in January. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.
0 Replies

andycrump

Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:50 am
@roger,
yeah roger he actually looks forward to shaving, he has been on this shopping spree of different shaving soaps and creams.

He recently purchases Proraso which is an italian brand, very well known
0 Replies

seishino

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:59 pm
@Mame,
Over the past 4 years I've used a $200 Braun self-cleaning foil, an $80 Norelco rotary, a $20 Braun PocketGo foil shaver, and a $10 generic. I used a few before that, but I don't recall what the brands were. None particularly stood out as "The One."

1. For a really close shave, he'll still have to use a regular razor. Electrics are for daily public maintenance, not for a totally stubble-free face.

2. Electric razors themselves are consumables. They will last for two or three years, and that's all. If the motor doesn't break, the battery will die, or they'll stop making replacement foils, or it will short, or something. This is definitely not the last razor that he will ever buy, just one to get him through the next two years or so.

3. Avoid the fancy extras. Self-cleaning setups use up expensive fluid (and need to be cleaned anyway). Rechargeable batteries die and are irreplaceable. Basically, everything extra that is on there is either there to charge you more money or make it break faster. Ideally, you'd want a basic electric that plugs into a wall, or uses AA batteries (they last longer than you'd think, and don't die like a built-in rechargeable battery).

4. Rotary trimmers are better for neck hair, whereas foils are faster. They both seem about equally long in my book.

5. Once you get into the $50 range, all modern razors do about the same level of nifty flex stuff to help conform to face contortions. They're all about equally bad at it, though rotary trimmers seem to be a little bit better.

6. Replacing a $50 razor every 6 months will get you closer shaves than replacing a $200 razor every 2 years. In the grand scheme of things, $20 electric razors work just fine, though slower than the 50 dollar or 200 dollar range ones. Also, leaving a $20 battery-powered razor at work or in the car can be a lifesaver.

0 Replies

Lash

Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:09 pm
My guy keeps a beard and mustache cause I adore the look - but when his facial hair gets long, he has to shave the whole thing and let it grow back. It gets itchy...and too long... I'm looking for a razor that has a feature that allows us to trim his beard and shave other areas of his face.

If anyone has inside info about a really good one, I'd appreciate it.
Lash

Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:19 pm
@Lash,
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-Stubble-Moustach-Trimmer/dp/B003U8ESI4/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_0
I liked this one.
0 Replies