Caring Girlfriend!

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 04:50 pm
My boyfriend moved in with me 5 months ago. His children were also visiting with him for the summer and staying at my place. I told him to concentrate on the boys while they were here and we would worry about rent etc when the kids went home. Other than groceries the last three times we have gone, I have paid for every household expense. I have copied my house budget and am going to sit down with him and ask for his contribution but am not sure what would be fair to expect from him???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,520 • Replies: 19
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 04:56 pm
@shining star,
Do you rent or own?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Do you rent or own?
that question also applies to your boyfriend.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:02 pm
@dyslexia,
easy pilgrim, I might have to put you on ignore!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:03 pm
@shining star,
50/50 and he pays for anything that has to do with his children.
0 Replies

shining star

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:24 pm
I own my home.... well at least the bank does and I pay them lol.... and I have my kids living with me full time.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:50 pm
@shining star,
I've been in that situation, as the guy. It was tricky...real tricky.
Next question: is there a disparity in income?
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:47 pm
If you rented out a room in your house, in your neighborhood, city - what would you get per month?

Collect that from him. for example $700 per month.

Split the groceries, unless the kids come, then let him shop that week.

Don't try to make money on this, but he's got to contribute somehow.

0 Replies

Abel Conklin

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:50 pm
@shining star,
I own my home.... well at least the bank does and I pay them lol.... and I have my kids living with me full time.

What do you mean when you pay the bank lol?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
@Abel Conklin,
Quote:
What do you mean when you pay the bank lol?

I gather that's just current slang for mortgage payment.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:58 am
@shining star,
hello shining star, welcome to a2k Very Happy

So your boyfriend has lived with you for 5 months and hasn't paid a dime?
His kids were at your house over the entire summer and you paid for everything?

Sorry to say, but if someone is a freeloader for 5 months and never once
asked if he/she can contribute to the household, then there is something
fundamentally wrong with that person.

To me, this would be a major red flag.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:20 am
@CalamityJane,
Normally I would agree, however, she did tell him "we will worry about rent/expenses after the kids leave." So I would give him a little leeway. But I would have expected him to bring this up once the kids left....but then again money is kind of a tricky situation.

I think I agree with some of what people said here - determine what is a fair rent for the area. Then where you have kids and his kids were there - I would just sort of split the food bill in half - for this period of time both group of kids where there. Same with utilities. Then meet with him and discuss your thoughts - both groups of kids were there so for these period lets split in half. Ask if he feels this is fair.

Then going forward - determine what seems fair food wise - you have your kids there so what makes sense? You pay 2/3, 3/4...and I would suggest splitting the rest of the utilities in half and whatever you determine is fair rent. The important thing is you both feel this is even and fair and you determine this going forward.
0 Replies

shining star

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:09 pm
Thanks for the input... the hard part for me is I am such a "giver". I paid my way before he came into my life and don't expect to be "kept". However, it would be nice to have that little extra money to do something special with and it does get frustrating when I see him able to shop for what ever he wants as he pays nothing to live here. He sends more than is required back to his ex-wife for the support of his children and don't get me wrong I think it is absolutley wonderful that his children are cared for the way he does. However, our life here is important too and I think we could use a working budget to grow with as well.
shining star

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:11 pm
@panzade,
there is a difference in income... I am self employed and have an income that goes up and down depending on the season etc. His income is generally twice that of mine...sometimes more
shining star

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:12 pm
@Abel Conklin,
I pay the mortgage
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:19 pm
@shining star,
Linkat wrote
Quote:
and I would suggest splitting the rest of the utilities in half and whatever you determine is fair rent. The important thing is you both feel this is even and fair and you determine this going forward.

I don't think I can add anything to what she said...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:20 pm
@shining star,
It is wonderful that you are a giver, however, some people are takers and will take advantage of you (whether intentionally or not). It could be that he thinks you can well afford it.

When my now husband first moved in with me, I ran into a little bit of a situation like yours. He did not intentionally mean to "take" from me. He moved across country to live with me so I wouldn't have to move - he did not have a job and was taking his time to find one. I finally took him aside and told him how my savings was starting to go down because he was not financially contributing. I could tell he felt terrible about. He went out and within a week had a job. He was holding out before for the perfect job and realized he needed something sooner.

Moral - sometimes they just need a little push and a little understanding of your situation.
0 Replies

KnewTwoWine

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:26 pm
@shining star,
depends... do you make more money than him, were you aware that he would or would not be able to have adequate income when you allowed him to move in... i figure if you two are a couple, living together, that you should split the bills to the best of your abilities... like if you make more money than he does then maybe make him responsible for the utilities, his own kids expenses his own cell phone his own car insurance... things like that...
panzade

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:27 pm
@KnewTwoWine,
Caring said:

Quote:
His income is generally twice that of mine...sometimes more
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:15 pm
@shining star,
shining star wrote:

there is a difference in income... I am self employed and have an income that goes up and down depending on the season etc. His income is generally twice that of mine...sometimes more

He makes twice the income you do and has not offered once to contribute
to the household? I am sorry, I do stand by my statement that you've got
a freeloader here. He's been in your house for 5 months for crying out
loud. What is he thinking?
0 Replies