Guns are your friend

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:58 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
I can see justification to own a gun.

Maybe in the US, edgar, were guns seem to be everywhere.
It is hard to undo a state of affairs that already exists, & is an accepted part of the culture to many. Maybe for most, for all I know.

There are many countries, though, where this isn't the case. I am so thankful I live in one of those countries.

Me too!
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

yeah, and then I'm a gun owner.
Will u tell us what u have ?

His is probably bigger than yours!

Wink
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:04 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

msolga wrote:

Quote:

It is hard to undo a state of affairs that already exists, & is an accepted part of the culture to many. Maybe for most, for all I know.

There are many countries, though, where this isn't the case. I am so thankful I live in one of those countries.

Me too!

me three
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:14 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

msolga wrote:

Quote:

Me too!

me three

Me four!!!!!

(Not sure if Australia counts twice, though...where's the rest of the civilised world?)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:18 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

yeah, and then I'm a gun owner.
Will u tell us what u have ?

His is probably bigger than yours! Wink

Will u reveal your probability calculations ?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:19 am
@dlowan,
intrepid and i are both canadians, so technically we're still at two, but two of the best countries in the world, possibly the two best
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:23 am
@djjd62,
Oh please!!!!!

Not bloody patriotic fervour!!!!

(But I loved your ad Houyhnhnm joke.)
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:26 am
@dlowan,
no, i'm not actually talking patriotism here, i'm not a flag waver at all

i really like australia, would love to visit and from what i've seen could easily live there
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:33 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

intrepid and i are both canadians, so technically we're still at two, but two of the best countries in the world, possibly the two best

You said it!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:40 am
@edgarblythe,
I own what you would call an assault rifle Edgar, and I assure you that I do not worship it, or anything else.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:36 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I own what you would call an assault rifle Edgar, and I assure you that I do not worship it, or anything else.

May I ask, what is the purpose of the ownership?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:14 am
@maporsche,
Drunk
Mr. Green
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:58 am
@Intrepid,
I enjoy shooting and wanted to add another gun to my collection. I had already owned a handgun and a shotgun, and I thought I'd add a rifle.

I chose this particular rifle (AR15) because of the magazine capacity and when I'm shooting at the range I don't have to reload it near as often. Also it is a very accurate rifle, which is important when target shooting. Also, the resale value of this particular gun has historically been very high, and thanks to Obama's election, the gun is actually worth several hundred dollars more than I paid for it. Not a bad investment.

Another reason I chose this rifle is because the assault weapons ban had expired, and I wanted to purchase a weapon that was previously banned to send a message to our politicians that there are many people in the USA that would NOT support another ban. Sort of voting with my dollars. I believe that the more of these weapons that people own, the less liklihood that the government will pass another ban. And if they do pass another ban, then it's likly that my weapon that I bought before the ban would jump up in value (this happened during the last AWB as well).

I bought this during Bush's presidency, and part of me thought, at the time with Bush passing the Patriot act and a lot of our rights being trampled on, that it may be necessary to fight to protect our rights. Then Katrina happened and after seeing how society can breakdown during a crisis, I felt very relieved by my purchase.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:45 am
@maporsche,
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

We went from target shooting for fun to investment to civil disobedience to preparation for violence.

Did I miss anything?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:46 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Taking away the guns should take care of it. Yeah, that's the ticket. Take away the guns.

Oh, sorry, can't help you. Here in this country we have a Bill of Rights enumerating guaranteed freedoms.
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:51 am
@Intrepid,
Was I only supposed to have 1 reason? I'm sorry, your post didn't make that clear.

None of my reasons though involve worship, which was my main disagreement with edgar.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 12:13 pm
@maporsche,
Of course not. You can have as many reasons as you want. I just wanted to be sure I was understanding correctly. Perhaps Edgar's use of the word worship was a bit strong, but I think we all know what he meant.
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Of course not. You can have as many reasons as you want. I just wanted to be sure I was understanding correctly.

I'm not sure why we needed your paraphrasing. Was my language not clear enough? Or was your paraphrasing used to make some point that I may be missing?

Quote:
Perhaps Edgar's use of the word worship was a bit strong, but I think we all know what he meant.

Well if he didn't mean worship, what do you think he meant? Does he have a problem with the English language and possibly didn't know what worship meant? I guess, other than worship, I don't know what Edgar meant? Could you help me here? What do you think he meant? I try not to presume/assume too much, it often get people into trouble. I prefer to argue against points that people ACTUALLY state, as opposed to what I wish they said. When I'm unclear with their meaning, I usually ask for clarification, as I did here.
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 04:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The real Supreme Law of the Land is the law of supply and demand; 'twas ever thus.
Anyone who believes that Prohibitions WORK,
believes that no one can get marijuana in America, because it is illegal,
like it was illegal to get booze in the 1920s, so no one got any.

I have a bridge for sale, Ed . . . . U 'd like it. I 'll give u a special deal.

Funny, David, I don't see you campaigning for the legalization of marijuana.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 04:21 pm
@maporsche,
Do you have an inferiority complex by any chance? You certainly are the sensitive type.