combobulated = ?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:03 pm

Context:
Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are absent? Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown? Met a sung hero or experienced requited love? Have you ever run into someone who was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable? And where are all those people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,487 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:15 pm
@oristarA,
I can tell you the whole article is full of nonsense words: horseful, strapful, combobulated, ruly or peccable. The author is questioning why they aren't real words in English when discombobulated, unruly, and impeccable are words. Dis... and un... and im... are prefixes that usually change the meaning of the words in which they are attached.

These three words are some of the exceptions where when you take away the prefix, what remains is not a real word.

Quote:
And where are all those people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?

Is making an issue with the overused English proverbs ...
"She isn't a spring chicken" (meaning she is no longer a young child or young adult). Or "He wouldn't hurt a fly" (meaning that person is such a pacifist or a weakling that he couldn't be capable in hurting a fly, let alone try to hit or hurt someone else).

robertras

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, OK, thanks for clearing that up
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:56 pm
The tzar is quite right, of course. The quoted passage is part of a much longer humorous take on absurdities in the English language. It poses such questions as "Why do we drive on a parkway but park in the driveway?"
JTT

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:44 pm
@oristarA,
It sounds like that idiot, Richard Lederer.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:05 am
@tsarstepan,
You are very ept.
Francis

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:25 am
@Merry Andrew,
I believe it has very little to do with English as a language but more with people's behavior.

Look:

Parkway - An expressway located on a strip of land legally constituting a public park and therefore not open to heavy vehicles...

You can then perfectly drive in a parkway (a way in a park). The problem is assuming that park is a verb and not a noun.

You drive in your driveway when accessing your garage. Parking there, and not in the garage, it's a behaviorial problem that has little to do with English language..
JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:18 pm
@Francis,
You're right, Francis.

There's no problem with 'park' being a verb. It is. Both a verb and a noun. That's part of what makes English English, the easy conversion of nouns to verbs.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:31 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You are very ept.

You mean I failed my early pregnancy test?! Neutral
I CAN'T AFFORD THIS BABY! Crying or Very sad Where is the nearest dumptser ... <<sob>> Crying or Very sad
0 Replies