No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:25 pm
@djjd62,
Was Mayor Menino reelected?
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
yup, opie and anthony played acceptance speech this morning, unintelligible, yet enthralling

my favourite line, This morning a teacher shot (or taught, it's open for debate) a child"
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:31 pm
@djjd62,
Well I guess if the teacher teaches in a school in the Combat Zone (does that still exist in Boston?) then the former is more likely then the latter.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Combat Zone (does that still exist in Boston?)

No one under the age of 40 even remembers what the Combat Zone was any more. (sigh).

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 09:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Kind of funny - the Ritz has a new residences right in the former combat zone area.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:43 am
@Linkat,
The Ritz, as we knew it, itself no longer exists. That venue is -- what? a Marriott? -- now.

Tommy manino's all right. He makes himself understood well enough to keep getting re-elected. That town has had some colorful characters as mayors since the days of James Michael Curley.
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:47 am
@Merry Andrew,
obviously he's got something, but he's pisser to listen to

one clip of him a few months back had him giving the name of the city as something like bofferston, speech impediment and boston accent = endless hours of radio entertainment
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:11 am
@Merry Andrew,
Nah - that is where they used to be - there is a new location
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/RealEstate/ResidenceDetails/BostonCommon.htm

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/BostonCommon/Default.htm
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
I'll never dignify that architectural and cultural disaster on Tremont Street by even considering it as the "new" Ritz-Carlton. Its only connection to the Ritz I used to know is the name. No other resemblance whatever. Even the ownership, I do believe, has changed. There was only one Ritz in Boston, the one overlooking the Swan boats in the Public Garden. There's still a hotel there but that ain't the Ritz no more either.

I can remember when there was no way that a man could get served at the Ritz bar if he were not wearing a jacket and necktie. JoAnne Worley got stopped from going into the cocktail lounge because she was wearing -- gasp! -- a pant-suit. Granted, it was probably a $10,000 designer original, but ladies did not wear "slacks" at the Ritz bar. Made all the daily newspapers the next day.

But that's got nothing to do with the re-election of Tom Menino, far as I can tell. Sorry for the digression.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
But that's gopt nothing to do with the re-election of Tom Menino, far as I can tell. Sorry for the digression.

You're forgiven your interesting digressions. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
True - about the Menino part and the structure - more making a comment about the demise of the combat zone and how the "Ritz" is one such structure in its place. Maybe the original combat zone had a better structural appeal to you?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 02:25 pm

mumbles has finally stepped down as mayah after 20 years...

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1526139_10202561320061831_1056783846_n.jpg
0 Replies