How smart is your dog?

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:25 pm
Many people talk to their dogs, but does your dog talk back to you? Have they ever done anything really odd that's actually impressed you?

I talk to my dog so much that she knows more than probably 100 words by heart, and handfuls of commands. It's gotten to the point I have to use spellings so she doesn't know what I'm talking about, like walk for example. She refuses to let me alone if I say it until she gets one. But ontop of that, she has also learned the SPELLINGS of words, like walk, out, box, nummer, and ride. Her understanding impresses me enough sometimes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,499 • Replies: 19
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:31 pm
@Lifeisart,
They can be really impressive, and yes, I did have a dog that tried to talk back to me. More like a modulated yawn than a bark. I always thought that if I were ready when she tried it, I would have understood.
Lifeisart

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:46 pm
@roger,
That's cute (: My dog tends to whine or puff at me rather than barking. She dislikes barking for whatever reason.
Dunnbeatable

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:20 am
@Lifeisart,
My dog is so smart when I catch him trying to poop on the carpet, he bites his leg, spins in circles, and flings poo around the room...it never fails. Try to teach your dog that one lol
roger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:37 am
@Dunnbeatable,
So? One of my cats is so well trained, he comes inside to use the litter box. How's that for smart.
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 06:05 am
@roger,
My dog is rotten as a texter. He uses phonetic spelling and he doesnt know about synonyms.
Id have to say that we had higher expectations .
Lifeisart

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@Dunnbeatable,
Haha, that's horrible! I've never heard of that lol
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:11 am
@Lifeisart,
When I had La Neige, a Siberian Husky, she used to HUFF instead of bark when she wanted... no needed... to go out to use the curb facilities.

It was extremely rare that she ever barked.

Was she a smart dog? No. Not really. When we gave her a treat and she didn't feel like eating it then she's walk around trying to find a place to hide the bone or cookie or whatever. She'd end up hiding it in plain sight in the middle of the room (literally in the wide open). Sometimes I'd pick it up and move it to the side so it wouldn't be stepped on.

She'd then go pick it up as if ... Oh no! They found m y hiding space! Must hide it again.

She'd walk around another 5 minutes and then hide it again in the wide open of the living room rug. There are so many chairs and corners to drop the biscuit that are far less conspicuous and are much better hiding spaces to leave the treat. Then again, perhaps she knew she needn't bother hiding the treat as she could have realized she was the only one going to eat the treat, that we humans had no interest in chewing on and ingesting it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 11:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My dog is rotten as a texter. He uses phonetic spelling and he doesnt know about synonyms.
Id have to say that we had higher expectations .

I'm assuming he's on the family plan? Save both of you lots of money that way.

You ever think of buying him an iPhone and installing a dictionary/thesaurus app? Just might work. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@Lifeisart,
My dog doesn't talk back - but maybe because he is only 6 months old. He has learned many words/commands thought - sit, paw, laydown (the usual), toy - he appears to recognize names as well - like go get daddy, or junior...

My cats though do talk back - and even the old grumpy one will mutter when you yell at him - sort of like a naughty child will do.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:55 pm
@Linkat,
If your puppy ever does talk back? Wash his mouth out with soap! Wink Then go to the doctor immediately and tell them about the voices in your head. Neutral Wink
dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
my parrot (fred) used to watch me put down my keys then when I'd leave the room he'd get the keys and hide them behind the sofa. He did that with my reading glasses one time and 3 months later I found them behind my computer printer.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I do hear voices but it is usually when I am alone not with the mutt.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:32 pm
@dyslexia,
Could Fred be the reincarnation of Loki, the trickster god from Norse Mythology? Laughing
http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_terror/images/loki.jpg

You have any pics of Fred? Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Fred has more feathers.

Loki was more evil than Fred.

roger

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:02 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah. I wonder how we came to think of Loki as cute.
0 Replies

Lifeisart

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:27 pm
@dyslexia,
What a naughty bird! He just wanted to play hide and seek with your keys.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:25 am
How smart is my dog you ask - don't know, but one thing for sure, he is smarter than Leonabanks and her crack smoking prono cell phone ringing non-child bearing 50+ year old ex- boyfriend/husband.
Lifeisart

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:15 pm
@Linkat,
Haha, that's not much of a compliment to your dog though.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 05:17 pm
@Lifeisart,
That's setting the bar so low, it's like burying it 10 feet underground.
0 Replies