Overly jealous dog for no reason--Why?

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
I have a six year old labrador. We have no other pets, and I'm the youngest child (16). For some reason my dog constantly follows me. She has learned to open doors so she can come in my room or follow me into the bathroom. If a person touches me, she will forcefully shove them away or whine. If I'm not out of my room early enough in the morning, she'll cry on the other side of my door.

I've recently noticed she also has a tendency to sigh a lot. She lays against the couch, or if possible, on me. She'll also lean against the couch and stare/sigh until I pet her. If I go to a friend's house, she paces the house and whines (but I'm the only one she does it with). She'll also lay in my room all day and refuse to come out while I'm gone. Oddly, she doesn't do this with any of the other members of my family.

Daily things have also given me trouble. I'm unable to sit on the floor on my pc because she will literally lay on my laptop. I give her attention like I always have, but since we've last moved, she's gotten worse and I was wondering if that caused it; but, on the other hand, we've been moved in for over a year.

Does anyone know why she has separation anxiety only with me, and how can I fix it? Why is she overly jealous about family, especially since they've always been with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:44 am
@Lifeisart,
I don't know the answer to your question, but my observation may be enlightening. From all the dogs that I have had in my life time, I have noticed each animal will "attach" himself to one member of the family. There is no rhyme or reason to this choice.

I had a boxer. Every time I was on the phone, he would jump on me, and tap me with his paw, as if to say, "Get off the phone already".

If the behavior becomes really troublesome, you might want to talk to a trainer.
Lifeisart

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
@Phoenix32890,
Thank you for the help regardless. (:

I know she's attached to me more than the other members of the family. She's always been that way, but she just gets worse. She's got extremely protective over me and our new house, although she ignores the rest of the family. It's not so much a problem-my dog is my best friend-but I don't want her to worry while I'm out of the house. I just want to fix it so she's not so depressed/worried.
0 Replies